Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Astronauts ready for tonight's shuttle launch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Are shuttle launches even a big deal for anybody anymore????

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090...tle+launch

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — After enduring a month's delay, seven astronauts boarded space shuttle Endeavour on Sunday for an early evening flight to the international space station.

NASA was hoping thunderstorms would stay away. Forecasters said there was a 70 percent chance the weather would cooperate.
My take on shuttle's is that they are a waste of time and money.

Sure, we learn about what is outside the earth. But, it costs millions upon millions of dollars that could be used for so many different things. On top of that, lives are being put at stake. I mean, look at the Challenger shuttle of 1986. All seven crew members died just because they wanted to take a trip to the moon.

Satellites are the only positive that I can find when looking back at our accomplishments from going into outer space. I agree with anyone who says a trip to the moon would be a breath-taking experience and something extremely significant but when it boils down to it, it's simply not worth it.

I'm sorry to anyone who thinks different, but this is just the way I feel about it.
^ Great post ODM
outdoorsman43 Wrote:My take on shuttle's is that they are a waste of time and money.

Sure, we learn about what is outside the earth. But, it costs millions upon millions of dollars that could be used for so many different things. On top of that, lives are being put at stake. I mean, look at the Challenger shuttle of 1986. All seven crew members died just because they wanted to take a trip to the moon.

Satellites are the only positive that I can find when looking back at our accomplishments from going into outer space. I agree with anyone who says a trip to the moon would be a breath-taking experience and something extremely significant but when it boils down to it, it's simply not worth it.

I'm sorry to anyone who thinks different, but this is just the way I feel about it.

outdoorsman43, you are dead on my friend!
I thought they canceled the launch tonight?
Honestly, I don't believe that we ever made it to the moon in the first place. If we could do what was claimed in 1969, why hasn't it been replicated? Technology has came this far and we can't do it again. To me, shuttle launches aren't a big deal. I don't know how much more there is to learn out in space and whatever there may be, I don't see how it benefits us that much. We know what we know, there are other ways to gain information if there is a need there, and like ODM mentioned the cost is just unbelievable. The economy is like this and they want to spend god forsaken amounts on a shuttle launch.
thetribe Wrote:Honestly, I don't believe that we ever made it to the moon in the first place. If we could do what was claimed in 1969, why hasn't it been replicated? Technology has came this far and we can't do it again. To me, shuttle launches aren't a big deal. I don't know how much more there is to learn out in space and whatever there may be, I don't see how it benefits us that much. We know what we know, there are other ways to gain information if there is a need there, and like ODM mentioned the cost is just unbelievable. The economy is like this and they want to spend god forsaken amounts on a shuttle launch.

It was announced in 2005 that NASA plans to send 4 people to the moon in 2018.
http://www.space.com/news/050914_nasa_cev_update.html

I've also heard that China is wanting to put a man up there as well.

Why hasn't it been done since? I don't know any reason other than cost, and that we aren't competing with any other nations to get up there. In 1969, the cost was around $25.4 billion. That same $25.4 billion would actually be more like $135 billion+ today. It's interesting that when there are rumblings that China wants to go to the moon, we announce that we're going back.