Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Letcher County Central 2009/10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
thoughts on the upcoming season for the Lady Cougars? who did they lose and who do they have returning? Lady Cougars went 28-5, lost 14th Region Championship Game Breathitt County 56-42.

Nov 30, 09 Harlan County away 7:30 PM
Dec 4, 09 Owsley County away 7:30 PM
Dec 5, 09 Franklin County (at Frankfort Convention Center) 11:45 AM Battle of the Bluegrass
Dec 11, 09 Belfry home 7:30 PM
Dec 14, 09 Betsy Layne home 7:30 PM
Dec 17, 09 Cordia away 7:30 PM
Dec 21, 09 TBA home Lady Cougar Christmas Classic
Dec 22, 09 TBA home Lady Cougar Christmas Classic
Dec 23, 09 TBA home Lady Cougar Christmas Classic
Dec 26, 09 TBA (at Bourbon County/Paris) Bourbon/Paris County Holiday Classic
Dec 27, 09 TBA (at Bourbon County/Paris) Bourbon/Paris County Holiday Classic
Dec 28, 09 TBA (at Bourbon County/Paris) Bourbon/Paris County Holiday Classic
Jan 2, 10 Leslie County home 7:30 PM
Jan 4, 10 Knott County Central home 7:30 PM
Jan 8, 10 Jenkins home 7:30 PM
Jan 9, 10 Henry Clay (at Paul Dunbar) 6:15 PM Martin Luther King Classic
Jan 14, 10 June Buchanan away 8:00 PM
Jan 16, 10 Montgomery County away 1:00 PM Joe B. Hall Classic
Jan 19, 10 Perry County Central away 6:00 PM
Jan 23, 10 Knott County Central away 7:30 PM
Jan 25, 10 Breathitt County home 7:30 PM
Jan 30, 10 Hazard home 2:30 PM
Feb 1, 10 Cordia home 7:30 PM
Feb 6, 10 Estill County home 2:30 PM
Feb 12, 10 Jenkins away 7:30 PM
Feb 15, 10 Breathitt County away 7:30 PM
Feb 20, 10 Pike County Central home 3:30 PM
They will be battling Breathitt County for the regional championship. Breathitt will be tough again, but Letcher has the ability to beat them with the young players getting more experienced and the regional tournament is on their home floor. They lost one starter, Sharaye Kincer, who signed with Union College. There returning starting line-up will be

Sr - Brittany Sexton
Sr- Shannon Bays
Soph - Erica Meade
Soph - Hayley Whitaker
Fresh - Kelah Eldridge

They will come off the bench with Juniors, Micca Boggs and Lauren Thomas, Sophomore Katlyn Collier, and Freshmen, Vannah Breeding, Julie Cornett, and Keisha Collins. They will use their depth and play a lot of players. Most of these players were on the AAU team that won the state tournament over the summer.
If they are going to win it, it has got to be this year. Other than the first team that went to state, this is the best team so far I have seen.
cougarpride08 Wrote:If they are going to win it, it has got to be this year. Other than the first team that went to state, this is the best team so far I have seen.

What do you mean, Letcher Central will be as good if not better next year. Letcher will be 1 0r 2 in the region for the next four years. They should only get stronger. Breathitt's talent starts thinning down after this year and nobody has the amount of young talent that LCC has.
It will be hard to replace the two seniors they have. Britney Sexton has been there since she was in the 8th grade. Shannon has gotten better, and will be a force this year. Once those ladies are gone, it will be hard. I am not saying we can't win it next year or the year after that, but I am just saying IMO they have a better chance this year.
That is why good teams don't rebuild they reload. They will be missed as all good Seniors are. There is a lot of good young talent behind them in the Sophomore and Freshmen class who will step in and play when they are needed. The JV and Freshmen lost very few games last year and that is without Haley Whitaker and Erica Meade playing on either team. Later in the season, Kelah Eldridge played very few minutes on the JV team and they still won.
I do have to agree with you, but with those girls with the team, the chances are good this year if we can get past the lady bobcats.
It will be a war between these two teams .
Definitely a team to watch out for! They were fantastic last season and will be battling it out with Breathitt once again. Only losing one starter is very much to the advantage of this young team.
This is a team primarily dominated by Sophomores and Freshmen
How many juniors do we have this year?
Four. Two only have varsity experience.
We should be good the next two to three years.
I Have got the opportunity to witness letchers up and coming young talent and am excited for the future of our young athleletes. As A youngster many moons ago I recall first hand on the homemade playgrounds and backyards young ladies that could and would dominate my brothers and myself in our beloved sport of basketball. Yes dear friends and neighbors we went back home with our tails between our legs many many times...lol these girls were tough as nails and could outjump a jackrabbit..Beind diehard kentucky fans a butt kicking was a downright bitter hard pill to swallow. We even applied what we considered in our very best kept secret none other than the old Joe b hall's special karatetype defense to no avail. The talent and skill level on the ladies side were always and will always be prevalant in letcher county. I most certainally wish too tip my hat to the fine middle school coaches & dedicated parents as well as the fine hard working staff at the wonderful highschool for keeping the girls focused and working together for a common goal now and in the years to come to if not win em' all then be very competitive and not dread or dodge anybody or there program. In the Good ole days as they called them (for whatever reason is beyond me) A lot of our younger atheletes had many many chores and worked at a very earlyage and even married way to early so as to not burden there own family(most families were Very large back then) i recall a family of 13 and between 5-7 children were not very rare at all. but moreso i daresay a commonplace. and the roads were not as easily accesable and the travel time and shortness of the folding paper (money)rides to and fro practice and too games were hard to come by. I guess what im trying to say is letcher county has always had championship caliber talent in there own backyard and a state championship would surely be appreciated by one n all but maybe a few of the older letcher countians even those that transplanted to other areas to make a living the chance to say "i told you so" to some of the powers that be programs from the larger more established areas in our state.
Should have no problems in district and regional play.
I have to agree the Lady Cougers will go undefeated in district play and should be the favorite to win the region by the end of the season.