Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Letcher County Central 2009/10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
thoughts about the upcoming season for the Cougars? who did they lose and who do they have returning? Cougars went 22-8, lost 2nd RD Region Hazard 68-56.

Dec 4, 09 East Ridge away 7:30 PM
Dec 8, 09 Jenkins away 7:30 PM
Dec 12, 09 Breathitt County home 7:30 PM
Dec 18, 09 Belfry at Williamson, WV Williamson Athletic Committee Invitational
Dec 19, 09 Williamson, WV away Williamson Athletic Committee Invitational
Dec 21, 09 TBA at Harlan County Black Bear Tournament
Dec 22, 09 TBA at Harlan County Black Bear Tournament
Dec 23, 09 TBA at Harlan County Black Bear Tournament
Dec 28, 09 TBA at East Kentucky Expo Center Pikeville Invitational Tournament
Dec 29, 09 TBA at East Kentucky Expo Center Pikeville Invitational Tournament
Dec 30, 09 TBA at East Kentucky Expo Center Pikeville Invitational Tournament
Jan 2, 10 June Buchanan away 7:30 PM
Jan 5, 10 Cordia away 7:30 PM
Jan 9, 10 Powell County home 7:30 PM
Jan 12, 10 Knott County Central away 7:30 PM
Jan 15, 10 June Buchanan home 7:30 PM
Jan 16, 10 Gate City, VA away 7:30 PM
Jan 19, 10 Perry County Central away 7:30 PM
Jan 23, 10 Owsley County home 7:30 PM
Jan 28, 10 Jenkins home 7:30 PM
Jan 30, 10 Estill County away 7:30 PM
Feb 2, 10 Knott County Central home 7:30 PM
Feb 6, 10 Cordia home 7:30 PM
Feb 9, 10 Hazard away 7:30 PM
Feb 12, 10 Harlan County home 7:30 PM
Feb 19, 10 Pike County Central home 7:30 PM
They will be in a rebuilding year under a new coach, Robert Hammonds. He took West Jessamine to the semifinals of the Sweet Sixteen last year. LCC has some good young talent but I do not see them being able to compete with Perry Central or Knott Central this upcoming year. Next year they should be much improved and start making a run at a regional title.
Lost five seniors. C. Cornett, Johnson, and Roark will be the core of the group returning. Ball handling and rebounding will be two areas to work on.

Should be in top 5 by the end of the year. Interesting to see what style of play Coach Hammonds puts in.
Does LCC have any bangers who can come in and play their role, post defense and rebounding
2 Logan Johnson G/F SO Starter
23 Kendall Ballou F/C SO
11 Trenton Whitaker G SO
24 Brian Roark G/F JR Starter
12 James Gose G/F SR Starter
25 Caleb Baker G FR
13 Jacob Dixon G/F SO
31 Ryan Brock F/C SO
42 Corey Stewart F/C SO Starter
21 Cole Cornett F SO
44 Dakota CornetT F/C SO Starter

Don't know the rest of the freshman class, but the eighth grader was the only one list last year on the roster. Also remember we have two transfers from football that might play basketball. I listed my starters if there first game was today.
cougarpride08 Wrote:2 Logan Johnson G/F SO Starter
23 Kendall Ballou F/C SO
11 Trenton Whitaker G SO
24 Brian Roark G/F JR Starter
12 James Gose G/F SR Starter
25 Caleb Baker G FR
13 Jacob Dixon G/F SO
31 Ryan Brock F/C SO
42 Corey Stewart F/C SO Starter
21 Cole Cornett F SO
44 Dakota CornetT F/C SO Starter

Don't know the rest of the freshman class, but the eighth grader was the only one list last year on the roster. Also remember we have two transfers from football that might play basketball. I listed my starters if there first game was today.

You would not start Cole Cornett?
lean&mean Wrote:Does LCC have any bangers who can come in and play their role, post defense and rebounding
Dakota Cornett, Corey Stewart and Ryan Brock can fit that bill.
I think Coach Hammonds will have his hands full in his 1st season as the Cougars head coach. I think LCC has a chance to suprise a few people with this team but I personally wouldnt expect a big season year 1 under the Hammonds era.
Style of play will determine victories against the big 3(PCC, Hazard, and KCC).
I think we will be like we was last year except I don't see us winning district. I hope I am wrong.
So who are the assistants for this year's team?
Well I really don't want to say until it has officially been announced. It is only fair to the other people. Whenever the date the posted position ends, and all parties are aware, then you will find out.
All new ones have Letcher County connections and head coaching experience.
kentuckynole Wrote:So who are the assistants for this year's team?

Just a hint. Some of them have a "Green" history.
If I am not mistaken they both have green history. Smile
cougarpride08 Wrote:If I am not mistaken they both have green history. Smile

Former girls assistant coach, Former coach with 30% winning percentage, and a young assistant from last year's squad.

Am I getting close?
There are two former head coaches.
Yep
And both will make this team better with coach Hammonds. Both are good with kids, and both of them work hard.
How many seniors will LCC have?
James Gose, Cole Cornett, and Ryan Brock are all Seniors.
It is good that all they have is three, that way we really aren't loosing a whole lot this year, and this will give the rest of the players time to mesh with each other.
LCC, will have a tough year, but they will surprise some teams, this team is loaded with talent, particularly with the sophomore class, Logan Johnson, Kendall Ballou,Korie Stewart, Sidney Fields, Trenton Whitaker, Matt Boggs, just to name a few!! My biggest concern is does this new coach have his heart in this job???? He never did the summer ball with them, I know there was a lot of excuses why he wasn't here, he came and watched from the stands in the Pikeville College's team camp, we ran coach Justice's offense, and defense's!!! LCC, will be behind from the get go, our kids dont know any of his offense, or how he wants to play defense, we have a lot of kids that play football, and when they get there, they have to learn all of this stuff rather quickly!!! IMO for 90 grand a year he should have been here for summer ball, period!!! I hope he does well this year, but I have my doubts for this year...........My starting 5 if they played today would be, Cole CORNET, Brian Roark, Logan Johnson, James Gose, Dakota Cornet ....