Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2009 Beechwood
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
thoughts about the upcoming for the Tigers? who did they lose and who do they have returning? Tigers went 14-1, Won Class 1A State Championship!

Aug 29, 09Dixie Heights12:00 PM
Sep 4, 09Highlandshome7:30 PM
Sep 11, 09Holy Cross (Covington)home7:30 PM
Sep 19, 09Covington Catholicaway1:00 PM
Sep 25, 09Daytonhome7:30 PM
Oct 3, 09Walton-Veronaaway1:00 PM
Oct 9, 09Ludlowhome7:30 PM
Oct 23, 09Bellevueaway7:00 PM
Oct 30, 09Newport Central Catholichome7:30 PM
they more than likely win class (a) again
Our 2009 "Countdown to Kickoff" resumes today with the defending Class A state champion, Beechwood Tigers. The Tigers finished the season 14-1 last year but will have to replace stud running back Neico Teipel who amassed 2294 yards and 35 td's last season a senior. Teipel is now at Louisville. Other key losses included Joe Daniels, Alex Downton, and two D1 signee offensive linemen, Dominic Mainello (Central Michigan) and Matt Miller (Brown University). Despite the talent that the Tigers lost, they return plenty enough to repeat as state champs. I recently had the chance to speak with Coach Rash on his team and here is what he had to say:

1. Which players should we watch out for this season?

Joe Colosimo RB/OLB 5’ 11” 210 12

Matt Rigdon QB 6’1” 182 12

Jake Maricle OL 6’ 0” 232 12

Corey Schuler FB/Slot/DB 5’ 10” 180 12

Zac Larimore DE/TE 6’3” 190 11

2. Which players do you expect to have a break out year that we didn't hear about last season?

Austin Harvey OL/DL 6’ 1” 230 12

Joey Staten FB/LB 5’ 10” 182 10

Tyler Bragg OL/DL 5’ 10” 202 11

Cameron Vocke TB/FS 5’ 9” 154 10

3. What are the keys for your team to repeat as state champs and also have a successful season?

We have to remember the day to day grind, commitment and sacrifice it takes to staying on top is far greater than getting to the top. Our young men in the trenches on both sides of the ball are crucial to this success. “Tough times don’t last, but tough people do.” This must resonate with our players.

http://kentuckyhighschoolpreps.blogspot....hwood.html
The answer to question one is all those guys.. They are the returning talent.
Question two is a tough one but I would say the staten kid will make an impact backing up joe colosimo. So expect him in the game when he needs a break.

Question three is true. They got to win the game on the line in order for those impact players to make plays.
bac2369 Wrote:The answer to question one is all those guys.. They are the returning talent.
Question two is a tough one but I would say the staten kid will make an impact backing up joe colosimo. So expect him in the game when he needs a break.

Question three is true. They got to win the game on the line in order for those impact players to make plays.

:Thumbs: Great post
With such a tough out of district schedule to start the year and the loss of so many talented seniors Beechwood may start the season 0-4. Granted they will still win their district and make a deep run in the playoffs I see them going 5-5 in the regular season 4-6 at worst. Hopefully what should be a very dominant win for highlands won't effect the morale of Beechwood for the rest of the year.
CCH11pkhills Wrote:With such a tough out of district schedule to start the year and the loss of so many talented seniors Beechwood may start the season 0-4. Granted they will still win their district and make a deep run in the playoffs I see them going 5-5 in the regular season 4-6 at worst. Hopefully what should be a very dominant win for highlands won't effect the morale of Beechwood for the rest of the year.

Based on your moniker, you must be from Cov Cath. Sorry, but Beechwood goes 3-1 in their first 4.

Dixie is going to be very improved over last year, but they still have gaping holes on the defensive side of the ball. It's stillyet to be proven that they can score against a quality Defense, something that will be Beechwoods strength.

HHS - Loss, bad!

Holy Cross - solid, deepest that Koz has had in the past five seasons, but not good enough to beat Beechwood.

Cov Cath is just not going to be playing good football this year. CCH will be back to the team of old, just not this year.!
http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...908200326/

Beechwood coach Noel Rash is like many of his successful counterparts who live in the moment, but he knows a successful program begins with a great feeder system built over time. And it appears the Tigers have enough in the pipeline to enjoy another run of state championships like the program experienced in the 1990s.

Beechwood has won the last two Class 1A state titles. The junior varsity team was successful last season, the freshman team won a championship, and Rash sees strong numbers of players all the way down to the sixth and seventh grades.

"Freshman championships and JV records are wonderful, but so many things can happen between now and then," said Rash, who is 36-6 with two state championships in his three seasons as head coach. "You can't get ahead of yourself, but at the same time there's nothing wrong with planning ahead and looking into the future a little. One of the things I know is our offseason conditioning program is one of the better ones around, and that's not going to change."

Of course, Rash is quick to point out that his focus always will be on his current team.

"The big thing is you can't get so distracted looking down the road that you miss the details today," said Rash. "We have to keep focusing on what we have on hand because my future is today. That's how we talk about things in specific terms of today, be it weights, conditioning or practice. "

Beechwood owned the 1990s in Class 1A under coach Mike Yeagle. The Tigers won state titles from 1991-94, were runners-up in 1995 and then won titles in 1996, '97 and '99. The early part of this decade was a little lean by Beechwood standards, as the Tigers finished runners-up in 2002 and '03 before winning again in '04. The Tigers then lost in the second round in 2005 and '06 before winning the last two championships.

"I loved the fact that the press and the community feels that two years without winning a title is a drought," said Rash. "It is on our terms, and that says so much about Mike and all those past players."

This could be something of a rebuilding year for Beechwood after it lost three linemen (Dominic Mainello to Central Michigan, Matt Miller to Brown and Brady Slusher to the University of Cincinnati) and running back Nieco Teipel (University of Louisville) to Division I colleges. But Rash said watching this year's team in practice has him excited.

"I really like their leadership, and that's what this has always been about - the seniors keep getting the team to buy into it," said Rash. "Mike always reminded me that we're a single-A team and those games are the ones you need to win. With only eight seniors, this may be one of those years we struggle against the bigger schools, but we have to worry about those A games."

Rash sometimes worries that all the program's success can make observers think that anything less than being dominant is a failure, and that thoughts of individual glory start to creep into players' heads. He nips that in the bud quickly.

"One thing we've always done is stay humble," said Rash. "That's never going to be a problem as long as I'm here. I'm 5-9, slow and white. I'm a dime a dozen. I think Mike was big on that, too. I just stole Mike's formula of being a blue-collar, lunch-pail team for a white-collar community."