Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Powell Airs Doubt On Obama's Agenda
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
One has to wonder about Colin Powell, first he turns his back on his own party, now he's having doubt's about Obama. I don't really want to bring up the race card, but I have to wonder did he just support Obama because he's is black and not because he thought Obama was the best candidate?

"Colin Powell, one of President Obama's most prominent Republican supporters, expressed concern Friday that the president's ambitious blitz of costly initiatives may be enlarging the size of government and the federal debt too much.
"I'm concerned at the number of programs that are being presented, the bills associated with these programs and the additional government that will be needed to execute them," Mr. Powell said in an excerpt of an interview with CNN's John King, released by the network Friday morning. "

"But, he said, "one of the cautions that has to be given to the president -- and I've talked to some of his people about this -- is that you can't have so many things on the table that you can't absorb it all."
"And we can't pay for it all," said Mr. Powell, who was the first African-American to serve as secretary of state, under former President George W. Bush. He was also national security adviser to President Reagan, and was chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under President George H.W. Bush from 1989 to 1993."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009...ma-agenda/
Powell is an extremely intelligent man. Whether he flips left or right with the wind, I respect this man tremendously and wished he had ran against Clinton in '96 or put himself in the running in '00
Stardust Wrote:Powell is an extremely intelligent man. Whether he flips left or right with the wind, I respect this man tremendously and wished he had ran against Clinton in '96 or put himself in the running in '00

I would have voted for Powell if he had ran back then.
I'm sure alot who voted for him are having doubts, if their not something is wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!
lil dog Wrote:I'm sure alot who voted for him are having doubts, if their not something is wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!

Five and one half months of a forty eight month term? Bias is as bias does...and, lil dog, you're a poster child for that.
thecavemaster Wrote:Five and one half months of a forty eight month term? Bias is as bias does...and, lil dog, you're a poster child for that.

You think people having doubts about Obama's policies and agenda is bias?
Bless your heart.:biggrin:

By the way, how many campaign promises has he already broken?
jetpilot Wrote:You think people having doubts about Obama's policies and agenda is bias?

Wish I would have thought to ask that. :biggrin:

Cavemaster, can you tell me anything (other than the evacuating of soldiers in Iraq) that Obama has done for this country to help us, or even take a step in the right direction?

Sure, the removal of U.S. troops in Iraq was a giant step but that had to be done and would have been done if anyone other than John McCain was in office.

I just asked a simple question and I hope to get a simple answer.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Wish I would have thought to ask that. :biggrin:

Cavemaster, can you tell me anything (other than the evacuating of soldiers in Iraq) that Obama has done for this country to help us, or even take a step in the right direction?

Sure, the removal of U.S. troops in Iraq was a giant step but that had to be done and would have been done if anyone other than John McCain was in office.

I just asked a simple question and I hope to get a simple answer.

IF you guys will notice, the post I responded to suggested TO Obama voters that they must surely be doubting now. And to thus was the reply. At 5 1/2 months can you DEFINITIVELY outline any direction, without giving sway to the bias? One thing: has exposed certain health care reform haters as biased with this question: IF the government is so horrible at everything, how can a government option put private insurers out of business? Unless the government can offer equivalent services at lesser cost? Exposing knee jerk anti-government non-think is a step in the right direction.
jetpilot Wrote:You think people having doubts about Obama's policies and agenda is bias?

I am strictly responding to the idea that those who voted for Obama must surely have doubts. This is spoken from bias. As for others, we all show bias. However, 5 and 1/2 months in? And you DEFINITIVELY know how these policies are going to turn out? That makes you just another in a long line of Guessers who masquerade themselves to themsevles and to others as Knowers.
thecavemaster Wrote:IF you guys will notice, the post I responded to suggested TO Obama voters that they must surely be doubting now. And to thus was the reply. At 5 1/2 months can you DEFINITIVELY outline any direction, without giving sway to the bias? One thing: has exposed certain health care reform haters as biased with this question: IF the government is so horrible at everything, how can a government option put private insurers out of business? Unless the government can offer equivalent services at lesser cost? Exposing knee jerk anti-government non-think is a step in the right direction.

You are giving mixed signals.

You are saying you have your doubts and then you go on to name things Obama has supposedly done to help this nation.

All I know is I ask the question I asked you, I ask quite frequently. I ask it because I have still yet to get a clear answer. When I get a decent answer (can't tell if you if that will ever happen) I will stifle.
thecavemaster Wrote:IF you guys will notice, the post I responded to suggested TO Obama voters that they must surely be doubting now. And to thus was the reply. At 5 1/2 months can you DEFINITIVELY outline any direction, without giving sway to the bias? One thing: has exposed certain health care reform haters as biased with this question: IF the government is so horrible at everything, how can a government option put private insurers out of business? Unless the government can offer equivalent services at lesser cost? Exposing knee jerk anti-government non-think is a step in the right direction.

At 5 1/2 months his direction is VERY CLEAR. He is at the extreme, radical FAR left. It's not bias to see this, it's common sense.

To answer your other question, the government can be horrible at something and still hurt private business because they are funded by the taxpayers silly! That means the government can operate at a loss indefinitely and the taxpayers pick up the tab. Private businesses don't have this luxury.
thecavemaster Wrote:I am strictly responding to the idea that those who voted for Obama must surely have doubts. This is spoken from bias. As for others, we all show bias. However, 5 and 1/2 months in? And you DEFINITIVELY know how these policies are going to turn out? That makes you just another in a long line of Guessers who masquerade themselves to themsevles and to others as Knowers.

Plenty of people who voted for Obama are having doubts. Are you saying you don't realize this, lol??? I'm not guessing how unlimited government bailouts and raising taxes and out of control spending will turn out either. I will hope for the best though (which is all you are doing).
outdoorsman43 Wrote:You are giving mixed signals.

You are saying you have your doubts and then you go on to name things Obama has supposedly done to help this nation.

All I know is I ask the question I asked you, I ask quite frequently. I ask it because I have still yet to get a clear answer. When I get a decent answer (can't tell if you if that will ever happen) I will stifle.

Yours is a convenient way to argue: ask a question, when it is answered, claim no clear answer has been given. Obama is pushing for healthcare reform. To me, that matters. Obama's tone to the Arab world was more "league of nations" than WWF. To me, that matters. Obama, in my opinion, reasoned temporary government enlargement as over and against collapse in certain sectors of the economy. IF this reasonably succeeds, he will win another term. IF it fails, he will not. The jury is still out...to pretend that it isn't is, to me, bias.
jetpilot Wrote:Plenty of people who voted for Obama are having doubts. Are you saying you don't realize this, lol??? I'm not guessing how unlimited government bailouts and raising taxes and out of control spending will turn out either. I will hope for the best though (which is all you are doing).

It is what you are doing now. I am sure there are those who voted for Obama that are having doubts. Read again the post I was responding to. I am also sure that there are multitudes who voted for Obama who are not having doubts. I am saying that 5 1/2 months in is not time for verdict. I am saying that your tendency, in my opinion, is to go in the jury room with your mind made up to the degree that evidence can only back up your predetermined conclusion, no matter what that evidence might be or suggest.
thecavemaster Wrote:Yours is a convenient way to argue: ask a question, when it is answered, claim no clear answer has been given. Obama is pushing for healthcare reform. To me, that matters. Obama's tone to the Arab world was more "league of nations" than WWF. To me, that matters. Obama, in my opinion, reasoned temporary government enlargement as over and against collapse in certain sectors of the economy. IF this reasonably succeeds, he will win another term. IF it fails, he will not. The jury is still out...to pretend that it isn't is, to me, bias.

Sure, health-care matters. The problem is, there are a lot more things that Obama needs to be worrying about. Like the coal industry, our economy as a whole, potential backfire of these so called "plans", and countries like Iran and anyone involved with them.

Do you think we should rely on this plan of Obama's to reach out to the Arab? I don't see how that will ever work. America is hated by too many countries and that will never change.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Sure, health-care matters. The problem is, there are a lot more things that Obama needs to be worrying about. Like the coal industry, our economy as a whole, potential backfire of these so called "plans", and countries like Iran and anyone involved with them.

Do you think we should rely on this plan of Obama's to reach out to the Arab? I don't see how that will ever work. America is hated by too many countries and that will never change.

I would think the issues you mention (healthcare reform, energy policy, the overall econonomy) are interconnected. They are not "so called" plans: they are plans which you don't agree with, but "plans" all the same. I think setting a "one nation among many nations" tone might help with the large portion of the Arab world that wants peace. I'm not sure much helps with jihadists: their view of the world doesn't much value peaceful co-existence with differing viewpoints (or so it seems).
thecavemaster Wrote:I would think the issues you mention (healthcare reform, energy policy, the overall econonomy) are interconnected. They are not "so called" plans: they are plans which you don't agree with, but "plans" all the same. I think setting a "one nation among many nations" tone might help with the large portion of the Arab world that wants peace. I'm not sure much helps with jihadists: their view of the world doesn't much value peaceful co-existence with differing viewpoints (or so it seems).

Sure, it's a great plan. But, do you think that all of these Arab nations will just simply agree to it?

The only thing we can do right now is defend our nation, IMO. I just don't see how making friends with the enemy is going to solve any matter. I'm not saying I know a better solution, but I am saying that I disagree with Obama's (so, you are correct about that).
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Sure, it's a great plan. But, do you think that all of these Arab nations will just simply agree to it?

The only thing we can do right now is defend our nation, IMO. I just don't see how making friends with the enemy is going to solve any matter. I'm not saying I know a better solution, but I am saying that I disagree with Obama's (so, you are correct about that).

So I understand: you are calling the entire Arab world the "enemy"? Or just that portion of Moslems who think it's ok to hijack a plane or explode a bomb on a bus? I think that peace is a goal worth pursuing regardless of success or failure in any given hundred year period.
thecavemaster Wrote:It is what you are doing now. I am sure there are those who voted for Obama that are having doubts. Read again the post I was responding to. I am also sure that there are multitudes who voted for Obama who are not having doubts. I am saying that 5 1/2 months in is not time for verdict. I am saying that your tendency, in my opinion, is to go in the jury room with your mind made up to the degree that evidence can only back up your predetermined conclusion, no matter what that evidence might be or suggest.

And your opinion would be wrong.
jetpilot Wrote:And your opinion would be wrong.

It may well be... but, then again, I've never much met anyone who can see it in themselves, much less admit it. "Would some power the gift give us to see ourselves as others see us" kind of thing.
thecavemaster Wrote:So I understand: you are calling the entire Arab world the "enemy"? Or just that portion of Moslems who think it's ok to hijack a plane or explode a bomb on a bus? I think that peace is a goal worth pursuing regardless of success or failure in any given hundred year period.

Haven't we been pursuing world peace since we became a nation?

Has there been world peace yet?

Will there ever be world peace?

The answers go in this order: Yes, no, and no.
thecavemaster Wrote:It may well be... but, then again, I've never much met anyone who can see it in themselves, much less admit it. "Would some power the gift give us to see ourselves as others see us" kind of thing.

I get it. My mind's already made up and I just don't realize it, but you can see it. Gotcha.:biggrin::dontthink
I'm glad to see that Lil Dog, Jetpilot and outdoorsmans "Crystal Balls" are fully operational.

Maybe you guys should play the lottery, win it and go buy some influence to change policy!

Or go solve some missing persons cases.
DevilsWin Wrote:I'm glad to see that Lil Dog, Jetpilot and outdoorsmans "Crystal Balls" are fully operational.

Maybe you guys should play the lottery, win it and go buy some influence to change policy!

Or go solve some missing persons cases.

Anything else? :biggrin:
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Anything else? :biggrin:
Get a clue maybe.Confusedhh:
DevilsWin Wrote:Get a clue maybe.Confusedhh:

You, are the one who needs a clue.

All you can do is mock our posts, but really you have nothing in defense of what we are arguing against.

:eyeroll:
There is nothing to be debated with you guys.
DevilsWin Wrote:There is nothing to be debated with you guys.

Sticks and Stones.....:please:
jetpilot Wrote:I get it. My mind's already made up and I just don't realize it, but you can see it. Gotcha.:biggrin::dontthink

I wouldn't say your mind's made up: your posts suggest you have a bias (a bent toward) certain religio/political ideas that seem to "knee jerk" you toward certain conclusions. I don't know you: only what you post, that's the only basis of observation. I think most everyone has a bias in religio/political matters: the key is to resist the "knee jerk" part. Isn't it?
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Haven't we been pursuing world peace since we became a nation?

Has there been world peace yet?

Will there ever be world peace?

The answers go in this order: Yes, no, and no.

I would suggest we have been most often pursuing what we call "the best interests of the United States." At times, policies pursued in that vein have led to injustices, even within our own borders, the Trail of Tears as merely one example. The fact that not all children get a good education is not sufficient reason to stop trying to give all children one. Some goals are so worthwhile that the "test," in my opinion, can't be scored by ScanTron.
Pages: 1 2