Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Should the State Ban Texting While Driving?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know a lot of the younger people do it (including myself), but should the state make this a law where texting while driving is illegal? I know that Tennessee & Virginia recently made it illegal and they're handing out $50 tickets to those caught doing it.

Texting while driving is very dangerous. I've been in a vehicle with my friends while they where texting and driving and they've had some close encounters with other vehicles rear-ends. Plus I've caught them crossing over into other lanes as well while texting and driving.

Thoughts?
Yes, with a hefty fine attached.
BCA it's not just the young people. I'm 40 and all I can say is thank god for the rumble strips on the highway.
midee1 Wrote:bca it's not just the young people. I'm 40 and all i can say is thank god for the rumble strips on the highway.
lmao
This caused me to wreck last year and total my truck.

Still yet, I continue to do it.
It really should be. I do it too and it's a terrible distraction on the road, it's a lot worse than just using a cellphone to talk. I have got to the point though that I will just not text or tell someone to call me/call them instead of texting.

I just read an article about this today. 50% of people will admit to texting while driving, 1 in 4 people are in accidents due to "driving while distracted", and the time that you are most likely to be in an accident while driving is 3 to 6 p.m. Just some statistics from that article related to texting while driving.
If they ban texting while driving whats to stop making a call while driving or eating. Out of all my close encounters I can honestly say texting while driving isnt a cause of one of them.
This would be an awesome law. Just wait till Virginia bans cell phones altogether, and throws a $5 million fine on top of it as well as life in prison. I hate Virginia. Anyways, and while our state is at it, just go ahead and ban Ohio drivers from coming into the state (thatll solve 90% of our driving problems right there). But yeah, I like the text ban while driving..
TidesHoss32 Wrote:This would be an awesome law. Just wait till Virginia bans cell phones altogether, and throws a $5 million fine on top of it as well as life in prison. I hate Virginia. Anyways, and while our state is at it, just go ahead and ban Ohio drivers from coming into the state (thatll solve 90% of our driving problems right there). But yeah, I like the text ban while driving..
LOL, so very true!
TidesHoss32 Wrote:This would be an awesome law. Just wait till Virginia bans cell phones altogether, and throws a $5 million fine on top of it as well as life in prison. I hate Virginia. Anyways, and while our state is at it, just go ahead and ban Ohio drivers from coming into the state (thatll solve 90% of our driving problems right there). But yeah, I like the text ban while driving..

lmao, Hoss thats what I like about you......... you speak whats on your mind!!!:Thumbs:
text messages is for the devil, they're straight from ****.

:lmao::Thumbs:
I do not think it could really be enforced but I support a law banning it. If you cannot drive without having to text you don't need to be on the road. It is bad enough talking on the phone but at least you can look straight ahead
Well to be honest, how can a cop passing by tell if you are texting or not? It is about like the seat belt law, I know it is enforced every now and then but especially at night how can you tell? I think that texting while driving is a bad habit, and I do it, but there isn't much of a way to prevent it.
If they ban texting while driving, they should just go ahead and eating, changing the music, putting up make up, or anything else people do while driving that is dangerous.
Yes it should be outlawed and when caught the first time

100 dollar fine
2nd time
1,000 dollar fine
3rd time
no more driving for a year
Maybe if they banned it, some of us motorcycylists would be a little safer. When a motorcycle and a car get together we always lose. It gets scary watching how people in cars don't pay much attention while driving.
Midee1 Wrote:BCA it's not just the young people. I'm 40 and all I can say is thank god for the rumble strips on the highway.

Amen here too brother
TheRealVille Wrote:Maybe if they banned it, some of us motorcycylists would be a little safer. When a motorcycle and a car get together we always lose. It gets scary watching how people in cars don't pay much attention while driving.

Speaking of motorcyclists, how difficult is it to text while riding a bike?
Stardust Wrote:Speaking of motorcyclists, how difficult is it to text while riding a bike?

Not tried it, but I bet some of the younger generation could do it. :biggrin:
TheRealVille Wrote:Not tried it, but I bet some of the younger generation could do it. :biggrin:

No doubt they can and have :dontthink
Let's just put it this way, when your texting results in you crossing the center line and killing a family of four and you walk away from it, you phone records will indicate that you were texting, and to who and at what time the accident occured. The phone will be in your vehicle and the person you were speaking to will have to tell under oath, it was what you were doing at that time. For that reason, they will put a ban on it, so that they can hold you responsible for manslaughter when it happens, or when it kills your child in the car. There is such a thing as a hands free, voice activated cell phone that says, call home, or call Steve. I suggest you get one and live alot longer and those whose lives you are putting in danger.
When texting while driving, people subconsciously turn the wheel towards the phone.

There's enough accidents without distractions of cell phones.

Consider this- it takes, what, 1, 2, 3 seconds to look away from the road to text? What happens when you need to make a jerk to avoid hitting a curb, car, or even a child, but the split second when you would have seen it to avoid it, you were glancing down for a second to look at the phone?

Would you like to try living with that, or the fact that you would have had to wait five minutes to make an insignificant text?
BFritz Wrote:When texting while driving, people subconsciously turn the wheel towards the phone.

Consider this- it takes, what, 1, 2, 3 seconds to look away from the road to text? What happens when you need to make a jerk to avoid hitting a curb, car, or even a child, but the split second when you would have seen it to avoid it, you were glancing down for a second to look at the phone?

Would you like to try living with that, or the fact that you would have had to wait five minutes to make an insignificant text?

Good points Fritz. I think texing while driving should be outlawed, along with using the cell phone. If it's so important to talk to someone else then pull over and make your calls. This may be off topic but I think anyone caught driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol should have their licence taken permanently. They are not only endangering their life but many other innocent people.
mrsportsfan Wrote:Let's just put it this way, when your texting results in you crossing the center line and killing a family of four and you walk away from it, you phone records will indicate that you were texting, and to who and at what time the accident occured. The phone will be in your vehicle and the person you were speaking to will have to tell under oath, it was what you were doing at that time. For that reason, they will put a ban on it, so that they can hold you responsible for manslaughter when it happens, or when it kills your child in the car. There is such a thing as a hands free, voice activated cell phone that says, call home, or call Steve. I suggest you get one and live alot longer and those whose lives you are putting in danger.

BFritz Wrote:When texting while driving, people subconsciously turn the wheel towards the phone.

Excellent points!
mrsportsfan Wrote:Let's just put it this way, when your texting results in you crossing the center line and killing a family of four and you walk away from it, you phone records will indicate that you were texting, and to who and at what time the accident occured. The phone will be in your vehicle and the person you were speaking to will have to tell under oath, it was what you were doing at that time. For that reason, they will put a ban on it, so that they can hold you responsible for manslaughter when it happens, or when it kills your child in the car. There is such a thing as a hands free, voice activated cell phone that says, call home, or call Steve. I suggest you get one and live alot longer and those whose lives you are putting in danger.

Excellent statement. Texting is different from other activities while driving because she cannot be looking at the road while you are texting.
runninrebs21 Wrote:Well to be honest, how can a cop passing by tell if you are texting or not? It is about like the seat belt law, I know it is enforced every now and then but especially at night how can you tell? I think that texting while driving is a bad habit, and I do it, but there isn't much of a way to prevent it.

TheGuyYouLoveToHate Wrote:If they ban texting while driving, they should just go ahead and eating, changing the music, putting up make up, or anything else people do while driving that is dangerous.

I agree with both. Yeah, it should be banned. But there is no way to prevent it. If you're going to text, why not just go ahead and call the person? It is much safer while driving.
Nobody should text while they are driving. Because while your texting it is NOT possible for you to be watching the road.
I agree 100%.
I do it, but its def dangerous and should be banned.
Pages: 1 2