Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: UK To Report Possible NCAA Infraction By Darius Miller
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Though University of Kentucky forward Darius Miller isn't alleged to have broken any NCAA rules, UK is investigating a potential amateurism violation involving the sophomore and will report its findings to the NCAA.

The potential violation stems from an advertisement and pamphlet touting Miller as a participant in upcoming basketball camps in Muhlenberg County.

He agreed to work two camps hosted by Muhlenberg County High School

coach and former UK player Reggie Warford, an arrangement that falls within NCAA rules. But a pamphlet and advertisement for the camps mentioned Miller's participation, which the NCAA could see as an endorsement by him.

"There are certain conditions under which (student-athletes) can work a privately owned camp," said Sandy Bell, UK's senior associate athletic director and head of compliance. "Endorsements are never permissible."
According to a story last week in the Times-Argus newspaper of Central City, Muhlenberg County athletic director Jim Price released the ad and pamphlet.

Miller no longer will participate in the camps, and UK will report the potential violation to the NCAA, Bell said.

The NCAA will determine if Miller will face any penalty for the endorsement. The penalty will likely be light even if Miller is determined to have violated rules, with a one-game suspension seen as the likely harshest punisment the NCAA would impose.

http://www.lex18.com/Global/story.asp?S=...=menu203_4
NCAA shouldnt care about this.
Real Badman Wrote:NCAA shouldnt care about this.

I agree, they shouldn't, but unfortunately they do. The rule is very clear, and this is prohibitied. It's been enforced by the NCAA several times, and they would not be picking on UK if the proceed.
Stardust Wrote:I agree, they shouldn't, but unfortunately they do. The rule is very clear, and this is prohibitied. It's been enforced by the NCAA several times, and they would not be picking on UK if the proceed.

Darius will have to sit out a game. The NCAA do care and will enforce a punishment, but they also know better then to punish a kid for mistakes made by a party not even associated with the school and a party who acted without the player knowing.
^ agreed
Not to big of a deal though. We will be okay.
I can understand Darius having to sit out if he allowed the coach to do this, but with him having no knowledge of the situation or having an idea that this coach was going to use his image on the brochure, it's totally a different thing..
I agree with that too. The coach or person who drew the pamplet at the high school should be just as much to blame. If someone plastered my ugly mug on a pamplet, is it my fault if I didn't know? The coach should be suspended one game also if he is found to be the one who done it.
turn it in and get behind beofre the season.
Not a big deal to me. He would be sitting out a game against a D 2 school.
can he sit out in a Scrimmage game or does it have to be a Regular Season game?
I think it has to be a regular season game.
Regular Season, But Kentucky May Get Him A Lawyer Smile