Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Unions Health Benefits May Avoid Tax Under Proposal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I guess this adminstration is still paying off the Unions for their support last fall, first the UAW comes out in better shape than anyone else and now Obama is also putting his full support behind the Employee Free Choice Act.

"The U.S. Senate proposal to impose taxes for the first time on “gold-plated” health plans may bypass generous employee benefits negotiated by unions.
Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus, the chief congressional advocate of taxing some employer-provided benefits to help pay for an overhaul of the U.S. health system, says any change should exempt perks secured in existing collective- bargaining agreements, which can be in place for as long as five years.
The exception, which could make the proposal more politically palatable to Democrats from heavily unionized states such as Michigan, is adding controversy to an already contentious debate. It would shield the 12.4 percent of American workers who belong to unions from being taxed while exposing some other middle-income workers to the levy.
“I can’t think of any other aspect of the individual income tax that treats benefits of different people differently because of who they work for,” said Chris Edwards, director of tax policy studies at the Cato Institute, a Washington research group that often criticizes Democrats’ economic proposals. Edwards said the carve-out “smacks of political favoritism.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=2...vu77pZr7k4
Old School Wrote:I guess this adminstration is still paying off the Unions for their support last fall, first the UAW comes out in better shape than anyone else and now Obama is also putting his full support behind the Employee Free Choice Act.
We helped put him in office, he should return the favor.
TheRealVille Wrote:We helped put him in office, he should return the favor.

That's illegal
TheRealVille Wrote:We helped put him in office, he should return the favor.

By that logic everyone who voted for him or contributed to his campaign should be exempt too. It's illegal and immoral and no surprise you're all for it.:flush:
Stardust Wrote:That's illegal
Prove it. You all are the ones that are saying he is paying back the unions. It's you conservatives that have the big union conspiracy going. Join a union, maybe you too can retire with a pretty good monthly benefit.
TheRealVille Wrote:Prove it. You all are the ones that are saying he is paying back the unions. It's you conservatives that have the big union conspiracy going. Join a union, maybe you too can retire with a pretty good monthly benefit.

I hope someday you will be able to retire with good benefits, but that's not always been the case. I've worked at non union mines with several men who were union members at some point in their careers, most were let go within 5 years of retirement. Some were eventually able to find union jobs in time for them to retire with full benefits, but most retired working at non union mines.
Old School Wrote:I hope someday you will be able to retire with good benefits, but that's not always been the case. I've worked at non union mines with several men who were union members at some point in their careers, most were let go within 5 years of retirement. Some were eventually able to find union jobs in time for them to retire with full benefits, but most retired working at non union mines.
I'm locked in at about $3500.00 a month right now. By the time I retire it will be somewhere around 4K. It has nothing to do with layoffs. And your example is a farse, because during Regan's administration, federal laws were inacted that said after 5 vested years the person is locked into their retirement, in any retirement system, union or non. The ones that retired at non-union mines that had their 5 years vested in the union retirement got it.

Next.
TheRealVille Wrote:I'm locked in at about $3500.00 a month right now. It has nothing to do with layoffs. And your example is a farse, because Regan inacted legislation that said after 5 vested years the person gets their retirement, in any retirement system, union or non.

If your locked in at $3,500 a month then great for you, but were not talking about the same thing. I agree about being vested after 5 years, but that's where the employer's contributions on personal accounts are guaranteed. I was referring to full medical coverage and the other benefits provided by the UMWA, which require a specific number of union employment.

BTW...I'm just telling you what I was told by the men, I think they should know what benefits they are entitled too.
Old School Wrote:If your locked in at $3,500 a month then great for you, but were not talking about the same thing. I agree about being vested after 5 years, but that's where the employer's contributions on personal accounts are guaranteed. I was referring to full medical coverage and the other benefits provided by the UMWA, which require a specific number of union employment.

BTW...I'm just telling you what I was told by the men, I think they should know what benefits they are entitled too.

We are talking about retirement, not medical benefits. I have to pay my insurance, at the rate of about 350.00 a month after I retire, unless somehting changes between now and then. The men lied, or were stupid about their retirement, they were locked in if they had 5 years. Retirement lock in after 5 years doesn't include insurance according to federal law.
TheRealVille Wrote:We are talking about retirement, not medical benefits. I have to pay my insurance, at the rate of about 350.00 a month after I retire, unless somehting changes between now and then. The men lied, or were stupid about their retirement, they were locked in if they had 5 years. Retirement lock in after 5 years doesn't include insurance according to federal law.

You may be talking about retirement, but I'm talking about health benefits after retirement.

What in the world are you talking about? I know and these men know that they are/were vested after 5 years in their employer/employee retirement account, but as I said I'm talking about health insurance. When they sign on with the union they had wto work so many years and they would be covered for life.

From UMWA's website:
"The Coal Act established the CBF and 92 BP to provide health care benefits coverage to qualified retired union miners, their dependents, and their surviving spouses. The 93BP was created outside the context of the Coal Act through collective bargaining between the United Mine Workers of America (UMWA) and the Bituminous Coal Operators’ Association (BCOA). Unlike the CBF and the 92BP, which have a statutory basis, the existence of the 93BP will continue to be determined by the outcome of the collective bargaining process."

BTW.....you don't know these men, and by calling them liars and stupid just show everyone your immaturity.
Old School Wrote:You may be talking about retirement, but I'm talking about health benefits after retirement.

What in the world are you talking about? I know and these men know that they are/were vested after 5 years in their employer/employee retirement account, but as I said I'm talking about health insurance. When they sign on with the union they had wto work so many years and they would be covered for life.

From UMWA's website:
Quote:"The Coal Act established the CBF and 92 BP to provide health care benefits coverage to qualified retired union miners, their dependents, and their surviving spouses. The 93BP was created outside the context of the Coal Act through collective bargaining between the United Mine Workers of America (UMWA) and the Bituminous Coal Operators’ Association (BCOA). Unlike the CBF and the 92BP, which have a statutory basis, the existence of the 93BP will continue to be determined by the outcome of the collective bargaining process."

Quote:I hope someday you will be able to retire with good benefits, but that's not always been the case. I've worked at non union mines with several men who were union members at some point in their careers, most were let go within 5 years of retirement. Some were eventually able to find union jobs in time for them to retire with full benefits, but most retired working at non union mines.

BTW.....you don't know these men, and by calling them liars and stupid just show everyone your immaturity.
I said if they told you they lost their retirement after they had 5 years vested they lied or were stupid about their retirement. I just was telling you that their retirement was guaranteed. No where is there any law guaranteeing medical coverage, union or non-union. Nobody has that guarantee. When you first stated that they didn't get their retirement you didn't even name medical coverage. You insinuated that they lost their retirement after getting laid off and going non-union.

My words:
TheRealVille Wrote:The men lied, or were stupid about their retirement, they were locked in if they had 5 years.
TheRealVille Wrote:I said if they told you they lost their retirement after they had 5 years vested they lied or were stupid. I just was telling you that their retirement was guaranteed. No where is there any law guaranteeing medical coverage, union or non-union. Nobody has that guarantee. When you first stated that they didn't get their retirement you didn't even name medical coverage. You insinuated that they lost their retirement after getting laid off and going non-union.

Any law guaranteeing medical coverage, no....but there are a few companies that still provide lifetime health benefits, to employees if hired prior to a certain date, but it is not guaranteed by law. The UMWA provides lifetime health benefits for retired miners their spouses and dependents.

You may want to read post # 6 again, this is what I said.

"Some were eventually able to find union jobs in time for them to retire with full benefits, but most retired working at non union mines."

Since the thread is about health benefits, I just assumed everyone else was talking about health benefits. Go figure
Old School Wrote:Any law guaranteeing medical coverage, no....but there are a few companies that still provide lifetime health benefits, to employees if hired prior to a certain date, but it is not guaranteed by law. The UMWA provides lifetime health benefits for retired miners their spouses and dependents.

You may want to read post # 6 again, this is what I said.

"Some were eventually able to find union jobs in time for them to retire with full benefits, but most retired working at non union mines."

Since the thread is about health benefits, I just assumed everyone else was talking about health benefits. Go figure

LOL, it kinda tricky to read a thread, and post something about that thread. OLD SCHOOL, you won this round no problem lol, you got some great post here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Thumbs:
OK, I had it wrong, I had retirement in mind. I sure will be glad if union health benefits go untaxed though. I can chalk at least one good move to Obama. It would be only as long as the existing bargin agreement is in though. 5 years tops. He is making my vote worth it so far.
TheRealVille Wrote:OK, I had it wrong, I had retirement in mind. I sure will be glad if union health benefits go untaxed though. I can chalk at least one good move to Obama. It would be only as long as the existing bargin agreement is in though. 5 years tops. He is making my vote worth it so far.

How many good moves can you chalk Obama for as long as he has been in office?

I, for one, can't think of any.

I'm sure you can though.
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:How many good moves can you chalk Obama for as long as he has been in office?

I'm sure you can though.

Well, the topic of this thread and troops withdrawing is two just off the top of my head. Make that 3, he is in full support of the Employee Free Coice Act.
TheRealVille Wrote:Well, the topic of this thread and troops withdrawing is two just off the top of my head. Make that 3, he is in full support of the Employee Free Coice Act.

I knew you could, ha!

Do you really think Obama trying to make friends with the enemy is going to do a lick of good?

If you do, I want a full explanation. I just can't figure this one out.
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:I knew you could, ha!

Do you really think Obama trying to make friends with the enemy is going to do a lick of good?

If you do, I want a full explanation. I just can't figure this one out.

:thumpsup:
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:I knew you could, ha!

If you do, I want a full explanation. I just can't figure this one out

:Thumbs:
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:How many good moves can you chalk Obama for as long as he has been in office?

I'm sure you can though.

It's rough being a pessimist isn't it.

I bet you sit up late at night waiting for Obama to come and take your guns too.:Clap:
DevilsWin Wrote:It's rough being a pessimist isn't it.

I bet you sit up late at night waiting for Obama to come and take your guns too.:Clap:

No, Obama is going to let Korea, China and Iran come take our guns when he gives the the "keys to the country"!!!!