Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Highlands Tyler Grubbs to Miami-OH
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Northern Kentucky high school star Tyler Grubbs will cross the Ohio River to play football after verbally committing to Miami University over the weekend.

After visiting the Oxford campus Sunday, the Highlands offensive lineman called coach Mike Haywood on his return trip and made the commitment official.

"They were high on my list all along," Grubbs said. "Coach Haywood is great. He's had success everywhere he's been.

"He took me through town in his car. ... I asked him what his goals were as a coach. He said he wants all of his players to graduate. That's great to hear as a player, because nothing's guaranteed. I know that if I go there, at the very least I'm going to get a degree from a great school."

The 6-foot-6, 270-pound senior-to-be chose the RedHawks over Central Michigan, Ohio, Troy and Western Kentucky. Miami coaches told Grubbs they're projecting him as a right tackle, the same position he plays at Highlands.

The verbal commitment is non-binding. But with Highlands attempting to win its third straight Class 5A state title, Grubbs said he's glad his college decision is made.

"Coming into the recruiting process I had an idea I wanted to get it over with before the season started," he said. "But really, I wanted to do it when it felt right. It feels right. Now I can put all my energy into getting ready for the season."
Stardust Wrote:Northern Kentucky high school star Tyler Grubbs will cross the Ohio River to play football after verbally committing to Miami University over the weekend.

After visiting the Oxford campus Sunday, the Highlands offensive lineman called coach Mike Haywood on his return trip and made the commitment official.

"They were high on my list all along," Grubbs said. "Coach Haywood is great. He's had success everywhere he's been.

"He took me through town in his car. ... I asked him what his goals were as a coach. He said he wants all of his players to graduate. That's great to hear as a player, because nothing's guaranteed. I know that if I go there, at the very least I'm going to get a degree from a great school."

The 6-foot-6, 270-pound senior-to-be chose the RedHawks over Central Michigan, Ohio, Troy and Western Kentucky. Miami coaches told Grubbs they're projecting him as a right tackle, the same position he plays at Highlands.

The verbal commitment is non-binding. But with Highlands attempting to win its third straight Class 5A state title, Grubbs said he's glad his college decision is made.

"Coming into the recruiting process I had an idea I wanted to get it over with before the season started," he said. "But really, I wanted to do it when it felt right. It feels right. Now I can put all my energy into getting ready for the season."

Great choice by Tyler. Close to home and a great school academically. Tyler needs to work on his foot speed and quickness, as well as get stronger, but I think he can certainly play at the MAC level if he does so.
http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/app...906300356/

During his visit, first-year Miami head coach Mike Haywood led the 6-foot-6, 270-pound Grubbs on a tour of the campus. The four-hour tour included a walk through of the stadium, locker room and the team's weight room. After that, Haywood drove Grubbs around the rest of the campus and the town of Oxford.

When it was over, Grubbs had made up his mind.

"It just felt like the right place and the right time to commit," said Grubbs, who also had offers from Central Michigan, Ohio, Troy and Western Kentucky.

"I really wanted to get this over with before the season started because I am not a college football player right now; I am playing for my high school. I wanted to get my focus off of who was recruiting me and where I should go."

Grubbs is the first of his 2010 class at Highlands to commit to a college for football. Teammate Austin Collinsworth, who has yet to decide on his school, already has offers from Cincinnati, Louisville, Kentucky, Stanford and Vanderbilt. Other classmates that will continue to receive a lot of attention are tight end/linebacker Brandon Roller and quarterback Will Bardo.

"It is a phenomenal class, there is a whole group of Division I scholarship football players, more than I have ever had," said Highlands head coach Dale Mueller, who believes there a lot of other D-I players in his 2010 class.

One that Grubbs and Mueller are high on is Bardo, who will start for the first year at quarterback for the Bluebirds. Grubbs will protect the left-handed quarterback's blind side from the position of right tackle this year.

Next fall, Grubbs is expected to be playing the same position as a Redhawk.

"He is just a great player and I am looking forward to him having a great senior year," Mueller said.

"He has really continued to improve every season. He started off well as a junior, but he really developed last year and by the end of the season he was a dominating offensive lineman."

The dominating lineman also attracted colleges with his challenging curriculum. Already in his high school career, Grubbs has taken Advanced English III, Advanced Placement American History, Advanced Spanish III and Advanced Pre-Calculus.

"I know that football is a violent sport, especially for linemen," Grubbs said. "At any second a pile can roll up on you or you could get hit in the knee and you won't be able to play football for the rest of your life.

"I understand that nothing is guaranteed and you have to be ready for life after football, and I felt that Miami would be better suited to prepare me for that."
Congrats Grubbs. Good Luck.
Thanks for the news SD.

Congrats and good luck to Tyler!
Yeah, this is a great fit for him. Close to home and a great academic school. My wife went to grad school there, but we never made it to a football game in the two years that she was there. I wonder what the game atmosphere is like.