Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: George Rogers Clark 2009/10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
how do you think the Cardinals will do in 09/10?
Strikeout King Wrote:how do you think the Cardinals will do in 09/10?

If they can stay healthy, they should be a top 5 team in the state. They should win the 10th region and with the right draw could be playing on Saturday of the State Tourney.
The talent is there, Zollo, Rogers, Daniels, R Stenzel, Purvis, all Juniors this fall. Guard position will be what the Cards need to develop over the season.

They have a brutal schedule, so look for some loses along the way.
Gold Charger Wrote:If they can stay healthy, they should be a top 5 team in the state. They should win the 10th region and with the right draw could be playing on Saturday of the State Tourney.
The talent is there, Zollo, Rogers, Daniels, R Stenzel, Purvis, all Juniors this fall. Guard position will be what the Cards need to develop over the season.

Robbie Stenzel is still there? i thought he graduated this past year? it seems like he's been there forever!
Strikeout King Wrote:Robbie Stenzel is still there? i thought he graduated this past year? it seems like he's been there forever!

Pretty sure he's been playing varsity since his 8th grade year. Maybe that's why it seems he's been there forever? Or it could be MC fans are just tired of him lighting them up and wishing he was gone already. Wink
kywldcat01 Wrote:Pretty sure he's been playing varsity since his 8th grade year. Maybe that's why it seems he's been there forever? Or it could be MC fans are just tired of him lighting them up and wishing he was gone already. Wink

lol id say so, but im not a MC fan i could careless what the indians do. i saw him play for the cardinals in 07. that was my last year of high school.
Strikeout King Wrote:lol id say so, but im not a MC fan i could careless what the indians do. i saw him play for the cardinals in 07. that was my last year of high school.

I was talking about Mason Co when I said MC...not Montgomery Co. :Thumbs:
kywldcat01 Wrote:I was talking about Mason Co when I said MC...not Montgomery Co. :Thumbs:

i actually like Mason County and Clark County. i cant stand Montgomery County. i would rather play for and root for Powell County than i would montgomery
Strikeout King Wrote:Robbie Stenzel is still there? i thought he graduated this past year? it seems like he's been there forever!

Robbie Stenzel will be a Junior this fall, so you will get to see him 2 more years. He has started for the Cards since his was a 8th grader and played in the State tourney in 2007. His brother Bopper will be a Sophomore. Most of the team next year will be made up of Jr and Sophomores.
Gold Charger Wrote:Robbie Stenzel will be a Junior this fall, so you will get to see him 2 more years. He has started for the Cards since his was a 8th grader and played in the State tourney in 2007. His brother Bopper will be a Sophomore. Most of the team next year will be made up of Jr and Sophomores.

we dont play them this year unless its in a tournament over in East Jessamine or Berea or unless its on tv
Strikeout King Wrote:we dont play them this year unless its in a tournament over in East Jessamine or Berea or unless its on tv

What team?
GRC will be good, but in my opinion, not as good as everyone thinks. They will struggle against athletic teams, especially teams with fast/athletic guards. They will dominate most teams in their region, and actually thought they were the second best team in the 10th, but since Barner has left Mason, GRC should be #1 int he 10th.

When they play teams from the 6th, 7th and 11th their shortcomings will show. They have several very good players but are missing the most important..... a point guard. Hopefully someone will step up and become the "missing player", if so, they WILL be one of the best in the state.
goodguy Wrote:GRC will be good, but in my opinion, not as good as everyone thinks. They will struggle against athletic teams, especially teams with fast/athletic guards. They will dominate most teams in their region, and actually thought they were the second best team in the 10th, but since Barner has left Mason, GRC should be #1 int he 10th.

When they play teams from the 6th, 7th and 11th their shortcomings will show. They have several very good players but are missing the most important..... a point guard. Hopefully someone will step up and become the "missing player", if so, they WILL be one of the best in the state.

Kendred is the missing player. He didn't play last year, but I have heard he will this year. He played in one of the summer games, but then hurt his foot and didn't get to play any more of summer ball.
Gold Charger Wrote:What team?

Clark County
goodguy Wrote:GRC will be good, but in my opinion, not as good as everyone thinks. They will struggle against athletic teams, especially teams with fast/athletic guards. They will dominate most teams in their region, and actually thought they were the second best team in the 10th, but since Barner has left Mason, GRC should be #1 int he 10th.

So how do you think GRC compares to the likes of Holmes, Scott Co, Eastern, Christian Co, Warren Central, and J'town?
kywldcat01 Wrote:So how do you think GRC compares to the likes of Holmes, Scott Co, Eastern, Christian Co, Warren Central, and J'town?

Right now with the players they had this summer....they don't compare very well at all. Rogers stays on the block and is not very effective more than 8 feet from the goal, Zolo is not really quick enough to create his own offense and Stenzel is a good shooter if he gets to spot up but doesn't posess the speed to get around a good defender nor does he shoot as well on the move (he can take it to the rack, but with a quick defender he is not as successful). Not to say they can't improve by December, but right now, that is the case at least from what I've seen of them.

Athletic teams, like the one's you listed will eat them up because right now they don't have a point guard that can create offense for the other players nor can handle the pressure defense from players like Johnson, Guyn, C. Jackson, Hickey, T. Jackson etc.

Their front court is very good, but if they don't have a backcourt that can get them the ball and help create offense, they are very beatable. Stenzel is a 2 guard, he is not a point guard.

With Barner gone from Mason, GRC will dominate the 10th, but once they get out of the 10th, it will be different.

I'm not cutting GRC, I think they are a very good team, but without a point guard, they are definitely not top 10 team in the state. I don't know Kindred and I have not seen him play, he may be the solution...let's hope so. Good luck to GRC!
goodguy Wrote:Right now with the players they had this summer....they don't compare very well at all. Rogers stays on the block, Zolo is not really quick enough to create his own offense and Stenzel is a good shooter if he gets to spot up but is not quick enough to get around a good defender nor shoots as well on the move. Not to say they can't improve by December, but right now, that is the case.

Athletic teams, like the one's you listed will eat them up because right now they don't have a point guard that can create offense for the other players nor can handle the pressure defense from players like Johnson, Guyn, C. Jackson, Hickey, T. Jackson etc.

Their front court is very good, but if they don't have a backcourt that can get them the ball and help create offense, they are very beatable. Stenzel is a 2 guard, he is not a point guard.

With Barner gone from Mason, GRC will dominate the 10th, but once they get out of the 10th, it will be different.

I'm not cutting GRC, I think they are a very good team, but without a point guard, they are definitely not top 10 team in the state. I don't know Kindred and I have not seen him play, he may be the solution...let's hope so. Good luck to GRC!

Nice analysis and break down.

It will be interesting to see how they do in the King of the Bluegrass with teams like Warren Central, Holmes, and Eastern.
goodguy Wrote:Right now with the players they had this summer....they don't compare very well at all. Rogers stays on the block and is not very effective more than 8 feet from the goal, Zolo is not really quick enough to create his own offense and Stenzel is a good shooter if he gets to spot up but doesn't posess the speed to get around a good defender nor does he shoot as well on the move (he can take it to the rack, but with a quick defender he is not as successful). Not to say they can't improve by December, but right now, that is the case at least from what I've seen of them.

Not taking this as a cut on GRC, you are point on with what you saw in Summer ball.
....but it was summer ball. Purvis did not play. Still not released by the Dr. Don't look for him to be 100% by KOB Tourney either. Martin is out for the summer too, back injury. Kendred only played one game all summer, injury, foot. Chase Kendred will really help GRC, but they still have to develope the guard position to be as successful as many of the GRC fans hope they will. Who where the guards that played for GRC when you saw them play? Did Daniels play much when you saw them?
Gold Charger Wrote:Not taking this as a cut on GRC, you are point on with what you saw in Summer ball.
....but it was summer ball. Purvis did not play. Still not released by the Dr. Don't look for him to be 100% by KOB Tourney either. Martin is out for the summer too, back injury. Kendred only played one game all summer, injury, foot. Chase Kendred will really help GRC, but they still have to develope the guard position to be as successful as many of the GRC fans hope they will. Who where the guards that played for GRC when you saw them play? Did Daniels play much when you saw them?

Daniels started but didn't play too much. He seems to be athletic but you can tell he's inexperienced.

I believe Brewer (#11 I think) started pg. They also played a smaller dark brown headed kid at pg (maybe #3?) and another smaller light headed kid (maybe the younger Stenzel that you were talking about earlier). The older Stenzel also tried to play some point but he wasn't very successful either.
goodguy Wrote:Daniels started but didn't play too much. He seems to be athletic but you can tell he's inexperienced.

I believe Brewer (#11 I think) started pg. They also played a smaller dark brown headed kid at pg (maybe #3?) and another smaller light headed kid (maybe the younger Stenzel that you were talking about earlier). The older Stenzel also tried to play some point but he wasn't very successful either.

Daniels is very athletic, he needs more experience and confidence. The ones you described sounds like the 2 that played Freshman ball last year, no JV or Varsity experience.

Brewer's family has decided to move back to Powell Co, so he won't be playing for GRC next year. So the guards you saw play will not be the ones starting next year.
Gold Charger Wrote:Daniels is very athletic, he needs more experience and confidence. The ones you described sounds like the 2 that played Freshman ball last year, no JV or Varsity experience.

Brewer's family has decided to move back to Powell Co, so he won't be playing for GRC next year. So the guards you saw play will not be the ones starting next year.

whats brewer's first name and his he gonna play ball for the pirates?
Gold Charger Wrote:Daniels is very athletic, he needs more experience and confidence. The ones you described sounds like the 2 that played Freshman ball last year, no JV or Varsity experience.

Is he planning on playing at Powell Co.? Isn't that where he originally came from and also played varsity ball at before transferring to GRC?
goodguy Wrote:Is he planning on playing at Powell Co.? Isn't that where he originally came from and also played varsity ball at before transferring to GRC?

Yes.
Gold Charger Wrote:Yes.

I'm assuming that the parents are not happy with his playing time or possible playing time this upcoming year. He will definitely start and play a lot at Powell Co. Good luck to Mr. Brewer!

I'm sure Powell Co. will be happy to get him back. Seems like they have had several players transfer out of that district over the past two years. Hope they start having some continuity in the future years. It starts with the coaching staff. They have been playing musical coaches over the past 5 years.
goodguy Wrote:I'm assuming that the parents are not happy with his playing time or possible playing time this upcoming year. He will definitely start and play a lot at Powell Co. Good luck to Mr. Brewer!

I'm sure Powell Co. will be happy to get him back. Seems like they have had several players transfer out of that district over the past two years. Hope they start having some continuity in the future years. It starts with the coaching staff. They have been playing musical coaches over the past 5 years.

5 years? Name them.
Gold Charger Wrote:5 years? Name them.

Not sure of their names but aren't they on their third head coach in the last five years?
GRC's front court will be one of the best in the state next year with Zollo, Rogers, and Purvis. They need to find another guard though to compliment Stenzel in the back court
Stardust Wrote:GRC's front court will be one of the best in the state next year with Zollo, Rogers, and Purvis. They need to find another guard though to compliment Stenzel in the back court

I agree.
GRC should be pretty good but it will be interesting to see them match with some of the top teams in the state. For a good look at the Cardinals they will be playing Nov. 28 in the Fast Lane Classic at Sheldon Clark. They could play either Scott County, Shelby Valley or perhaps Trinity on that night.
Down and Out Wrote:GRC should be pretty good but it will be interesting to see them match with some of the top teams in the state. For a good look at the Cardinals they will be playing Nov. 28 in the Fast Lane Classic at Sheldon Clark. They could play either Scott County, Shelby Valley or perhaps Trinity on that night.

This is a pretty nice list of teams. Is it a weekend or just one night?
goodguy Wrote:I'm assuming that the parents are not happy with his playing time or possible playing time this upcoming year. He will definitely start and play a lot at Powell Co. Good luck to Mr. Brewer!

It's kind of hard on a kid when there are people telling him that if he stays that no matter how well he plays that if a certian player returns he want see playing time. I don't blame him one bit for wanting to go back where he knows that the coachs want him there. A senior wants to play. Not set so I guess he did'nt want to take that chance.
Pages: 1 2