Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Red Sox draft CovCath's Maile
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When they selected Covington Catholic catcher Luke Maile in the 43rd round of Thursday’s Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft, the Boston Red Sox employed the draft-and-follow method to talent evaluation.

That’s when a team waits until a high-round talent falls in the draft due to signability issues. It then drafts the player late and follows his progress through the summer.

If scouts like his progress, they offer him a signing bonus equivalent to a high-round pick’s.

In other words, while the Red Sox draft and follow, Maile will play and wait.

Maile, a University of Kentucky recruit, said if the team is willing to meet his signing bonus requirement, he’s ready to turn pro.

“Absolutely,” he said. “There’s a number out there, regardless of what the round is. You get a plan together and say, ‘This amount is going to make me turn pro. If not, I’m going to college.’”

Maile was selected in the last hour of the three-day draft, which consisted of 50 rounds. Maile’s father Rich, who has used agent Joe Bick as an adviser, said as the draft wore on his son’s signability issues dropped his stock.

“We really thought there was a good chance of Luke going in the first five rounds,” he said. “Then we were thinking five through eight. After we got to the ninth round, we knew it was going to be a while.”

Maile’s situation mirrored last year’s draft position of Northern Kentucky’s last draftee: Boone County grad Cory Farris. Both players are catchers. Both committed to Kentucky. Both were picked in the 43rd round. After the White Sox selected Farris in the latter stages of the 2008 draft, he decided to play for the Wildcats.
Actually Farris will be playing OF most of the time for the Cats as they want to use his speed at the fullest. Farris will catch only sparingly when needed...
Glad to see my Sox get the Ky boy!
That is awesome to hear!! Horrible team though...haha