Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky's top 2010 Players: Ricardo Johnson and Elijah Pittman (Video)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The top two players in the state of Kentucky just so happen to play on the same Covington Holmes High School basketball team. Ricardo Johnson and Elijah Pittman have recently been named the best high school basketball players in the state of Kentucky by Rick Bolus.

Here is some new video of the pair in action:

Ricardo Johnson:

http://www.kentuckysportsnetwork.com/vid...eo%3A58666

Elijah Pittman:

http://www.kentuckysportsnetwork.com/vid...eo%3A58671

Nice video of the two.
Johnson & Pittman are very good players; with their athletic abilities they will just continue to improve.

kywildcat01, You have probably seen them play more then the rest of us, who is better of the two?

What offers have they received, or who is looking to offer?
Hondo Wrote:Johnson & Pittman are very good players; with their athletic abilities they will just continue to improve.

kywildcat01, You have probably seen them play more then the rest of us, who is better of the two?

What offers have they received, or who is looking to offer?

Ricardo is definately better IMO

Elijah's last updated list on rivals looks like this

Kentucky
Oklahoma
St. Bonaventure
Xavier

He has a rating of 87 by ESPN
He will most likely go juco route for grades.

Ricardo's list looks like this

Cincinnati
Georgetown
Indiana
Kentucky
Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Oklahoma State
Xavier
Bradley (offered)
Western Kentucky

He has a rating of 85 by ESPN

Both have had Bob huggins and other college coaches come to holmes to watch their practices
I personally watched the state title game on TV and was impressed with Elijah Pittman. I would give him the scholarship.
The only thing that bothers me about Pittman is that he rely's on the 3-point jumper way to much. I noticed this during the Sweet 16 and in that video. He likes to stand behind the arc and wait for someone to deliver him the ball. I'm sure if he would show an ability to cut to the basket more often he would become a much better basketball player. He also needs to work on his post game.

Ricardo Johnson just about has it all. His shot needs some work, but other than that he can drive, post-up, pass, defend, and rebound. Ricardo will make a very good college player. I'd really like to see him end up at WKU with some of KY's other former best players in the state.

Jeremiah Johnson is another good player. He is much like Ricardo, but not nearly as aggressive. His shooting too needs to improve.
He does need to drive more to the basket. What is his defense like? Like I said I only saw that one game.
cougarpride08 Wrote:He does need to drive more to the basket. What is his defense like? Like I said I only saw that one game.

He held Phares to single digits. and he loves a good block or two
My assessment on the two:

Elijah Pittman- Hands down the most athletic player in the state with the most upside and potential. His ceiling is higher than anyone else that is going to step foot on the court this year. His only problem is grades. Outside of that, he is a great shot blocker and defends very well. He needs to add some strength but he is a lot stronger than he'd given credit for. Offensively, his 3 point shot is actually what separates him from other big men around the state. He is a very good 3 point shooter but needs to work on a quicker release. He is dead on from the corners. His dribbling is pretty good for his size, but with his length he needs to work in the paint more. His post game has improved tremendously since last year. We can talk about him having a lack of post game, but as you saw in the video, he actually has some nice moves that came along toward the end of the season last year. We have to remember at the end of his sophomore year the kid was only 6'4. Since then he's shot up to 6'8. The post game will come.

Ricardo Johnson- Very smooth player all around. Never takes a play off and is solid both offensively and defensively. His size makes him a tough match up because at 6'5-6'6 he can run the point and take a big man off the dribble or post up a smaller player. He is also strong enough down low to "bang" with the big guys. He did a great job defending Richie Phares, limiting him to 3 points and 3 rebounds. I'd say Ricardo is likely the strongest kid on Holmes' team, which says a lot considering Pittman is no slouch and neither is JJ. His shooting has really improved as well, which forces defenders to stay up on him. His mid range game is VERY GOOD. This is where he's most dangerous because he has the speed and quickness to get by you and finish at the rim.

I'd say Pittman probably is more talented than Ricardo, but Ricardo is the better all around prospect. If Pittman weren't going to take the JUCO route because of grades, he would definetly go to a higher level though....he IMO is better than Darius Miller was at this stage in his career and will be better his senior year than Darius was. As Elijah showed against the best teams in the state, he can put 20 and 10 on you every night...it's all a matter of him staying focused the whole game. He was very focused during the state tourney and averaged 14 and 9 a game.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:The only thing that bothers me about Pittman is that he rely's on the 3-point jumper way to much. I noticed this during the Sweet 16 and in that video. He likes to stand behind the arc and wait for someone to deliver him the ball. I'm sure if he would show an ability to cut to the basket more often he would become a much better basketball player. He also needs to work on his post game.

Pittman's stength is actually that he CAN shoot the 3 ball. He is good enough handling the ball to take his man off the dribble if the 3 isn't there. (as you saw in the video)

It's much easier to point out weaknesses from seeing him a few times, than watching him over the course of the whole season. Scouts love the fact that Pittman can shoot the 3.

As far as his post moves, they are improving but still need some work. I too would like to see him work on it, as he could become a very dominating player if he'd hang out in the post because of his size and athleticism. Pittman handles the ball very well for a big man as well...I'd think you would have noticed that from the video? He's not as smooth as Rico, but he definetly handles it better than your average big man.
how embarrassing was it when Elijah Pittman got rejected by the rim at the state tourny when he was tryin to windmill it in front of thousands at rupp:thatsfunn ROFL
dawgfight17 Wrote:how embarrassing was it when Elijah Pittman got rejected by the rim at the state tourny when he was tryin to windmill it in front of thousands at rupp:thatsfunn ROFL

Ah young one, I don't think you want to go there. Elijah has dunked on many people over the past two years and made a lot of players from around the state look silly such as Euton, Andy Donovan, and Knipp to name a few. He's dunked more in one game than some kids have in their whole career. He had six dunks against Ballard alone and 5 against Bryan Station. Not to mention the many games where he had 3 and 4 dunks. :popcorn:

To answer your question though...probably just as embarrassing as when he was cutting down the nets after they won the state championship. Or maybe just as embarrassing as when he was receiving his second straight all tourney plaque, state championship medal, and holding up the 2009 state championship banner. Confusedhh: :dontthink