Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: High School Baseball Next Year???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
how is this gonna work when they take sectionals out next year?
From what I understand it will be just about like basketball... all region winners will go to Applebees to play in a 16 team tournament.
Thanks Blue-N-Gold. Congrats on you all having one heck of a baseball season
Strikeout King Wrote:Thanks Blue-N-Gold. Congrats on you all having one heck of a baseball season

Thanks, buddy, congrats to you too!
It will be a watered down tournament and it will eliminate one of the most exciting series in HS baseball.
The sectionals are kind of a tradition in high school baseball. I hate to see them go.
I hate having 16 teams in the State Finals I think it needs to be left as is with 8 teams... Keep the sectionals!!!!
i wish they would keep the sectionals bc it makes it alot easier i think. how would having a 16 team tournament at Applebees park with the Legends playing?
Blue-N-Gold Wrote:From what I understand it will be just about like basketball... all region winners will go to Applebees to play in a 16 team tournament.

I like this a lot better than the current process. It works for Basketball and Football. Let's go to a one and out format and let the best TEAM win!
Strikeout King Wrote:i wish they would keep the sectionals bc it makes it alot easier i think. how would having a 16 team tournament at Applebees park with the Legends playing?

They are on a road trip that week and they would of done it this year, but couldn't get the dates straight for the field while the Legends were away. Will be an exciting tourney just like basketball and softball does now. 16 Teams will play for the Title of best baseball team in the state. Will be fun to watch all those games. Great week for baseball.:popcorn:
mountain hoops guru Wrote:They are on a road trip that week and they would of done it this year, but couldn't get the dates straight for the field while the Legends were away. Will be an exciting tourney just like basketball and softball does now. 16 Teams will play for the Title of best baseball team in the state. Will be fun to watch all those games. Great week for baseball.:popcorn:

thanks for the info Mountain Hoops Guru. yes it will be one exciting week for baseball
I like it. It gives more kids a chance to have the experience of playing on a big stage like applebee's park.
I like it as well. Gives more prestidge to winning the Region. People look at it different when you say we made it to State as opposed to we made it to the sectionals. I know they shouldn't, but they do.
I prefer sectionals!! Keep it the same!!
It's all about the money! If you have 16 teams instead of 8 going to Lexington that means more fans to spend money and help the KHSAA put money in there pocket. The KHSAA is becoming more like the NCAA every year!
Well, I see both sides of this one, but honestly... I agree that it will give more teams a chance to experience that field and situation, it will also allow winning the Regional to become more important, and perhaps that will boost the sport, in general, statewide! I say.."Good Luck to all in 2010!"
So, everyone is just happy to throw away sectionals?
Bleacher_Creature_10 Wrote:It's all about the money! If you have 16 teams instead of 8 going to Lexington that means more fans to spend money and help the KHSAA put money in there pocket. The KHSAA is becoming more like the NCAA every year!

I don't know that they could secure Legends stadium for that many days. Plus, playing that many games would do damage to the field. There is no way that I see them being able to use the field for any more games than they have secured presently
It hurts the local teams that host sectionals. They would not have the extra funds for there school, but instead the BOE has to come up with the money to send them to applesbee park.
i am a little concerned about this
I like the "best two-out-of-three" format in the sectionals. It allows for the better team to have a bad game and still win. However, the way the Lawrence Co./East Carter sectional was set up on Mon, Wed, Fri it allowed for a team with only one good pitcher to advance. I'm not saying that Lawrence wouldn't have advanced, but with a pitcher like Shepard, DANG!

The 16 team format should reward a team with a deep pitching staff. JMO
Stardust Wrote:I don't know that they could secure Legends stadium for that many days. Plus, playing that many games would do damage to the field. There is no way that I see them being able to use the field for any more games than they have secured presently

Yea they are going to have to now or move the game to some other location.. Because taking sectional away and making each regions winners advance to the state tourney they there will be 16 teams instead of the currently 8 teams.
Is this just experiment or is it set in stone?
Not saying that everyone or every team wants or will go on to college, but the College World Series only takes eight teams instead of sixteen. I know some will respond with saying, "what about the MLB World Series"? Then, we could conduct other similarities/differences. I just think that baseball purists ought to relate to the next available level and prepare student-athletes for that level.
Is this just experiment or is it set in stone?

I think it is set in stone and I hope they take another look at it --- don't like the set up.
neither do I.