Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Powerlifting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone. I am posting this thread to gather a rough estimate of how many readers are interested in powerlifting.

On October 17th 2009, N.A.S.A. (Natural Athletes Strength Association) will be hosting a national competition in Morehead, KY. Anyone who likes to lift or just watch other people defy gravity (so to speak), please reply to this thread. I can e-mail a copy of the flyer and entry form to anyone who i interested.

Thanks.
I could probably win this thing. I decline over 500 and deadlift about 750.
I only weigh 220.
HUB Wrote:I could probably win this thing. I decline over 500 and deadlift about 750.
I only weigh 220.

Well, remember they have you pause bench (must be motionless on your chest, until the head judge says "press"). Plus, the bar has to stay even, your but can't come off the bench, and worst of all... you have to wear a singlet.
I do holdouts (negatives) with 625+, but no way can I pause bench anything close to that.
They are pretty picky on deads, too. The bar must be in front of both legs (no straddle stances). If you hitch (stop and start during the lift) or drop the weight too fast at the end, you will get DQ'd. It is very different from "weightroom" lifting. But, once you get the hang of it... it is pretty fun to compete.
I always loved to lift back in high school, coach always brought in younger guys to watch me lift and I got a joy of knowing I was helping out the future. That was a long time ago though however I still workout but no where near as intense.
I am still pretty intense on many days. However, I can't Squat or Deadlift anymore (herniated discs). I don't necessarily miss squats, because I am 6'4" and they always hurt my back and knees so much. I miss doing deads, though.

I still Bench with intensity. I workout 5 days per week (M-F). Leg Press has replaced squats. I do a lot of hyperextensions and mid-upper back stuff on back day (Wed). Here is my schedule:
Monday: Legs
Tuesday: Chest
Wednesday: Back
Thursday: Shoulders
Friday: Arms

I do abs every day that I lift (4X30, various types of exercises)
Thats good I usally workout on my sons old weightbench.

Mon-Wed-Fri
I do bench mostly but I throw in some other things as well.
HUB Wrote:I could probably win this thing. I decline over 500 and deadlift about 750.
I only weigh 220.

Decline isn't an event. I would like to see the 750 though. That would be world class numbers if you did it with good form and not straps. I have won this before when it was in Paintsville. I weighed 198 and did around 450lbs on bench, 500lb squat, and a 600lb deadlift. The numbers were a little different. They use kg. If you think you can do well you should come out and try. But these meets are alot more strict than lifting in a gym or with a football team.
I know what you mean about the back though. I have three vertabrae setting on top of each other now. IED in Iraq. But i think the powerlifting has helped it get better. I'm stronger than i've ever been now at 220lbs.
What were you on Matman? Deca, suspension, Test 400? Dbol?
warmachine Wrote:What were you on Matman? Deca, suspension, Test 400? Dbol?

No. Its always the ones who can't do that make up excuses. Well i'm not as strong as him....he must be on steroids....lol. No i spent many years in the Army and have competed in several drug tested federations. I don't take steroids or any other drugs.