Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: NCAA has charged Memphis’ men’s Basketball Team with major violations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Memphis Commercial-Appeal is reporting that the NCAA has charged Memphis’ men’s basketball team with major violations from the 2007-08 season.

Before the hater's get too excited and the UK fans panic, John Calipari is not named in the report.
I was freaking out . I thought this had to do with Calipari until I read the entire thing.
Holy cow, all the UK haters will have a feild day with this.
This was a statement released by the UK!!

First and foremost, there are no NCAA allegations against UK Head Men’s Basketball Coach John Calipari. Coach Calipari was forthcoming with the University of Kentucky during the hiring process about any issues under investigation at the University of Memphis at that time.

It is normal procedure for the NCAA to ask a former coach to participate in a hearing. Therefore, Coach Calipari will participate as requested.

Coach John Calipari has received a letter from the NCAA stating that he is not at risk of being charged with any NCAA violations in this case.

This is a University of Memphis issue and the University of Kentucky will not comment any further.
Still not good. Still looks bad on Cal...
mrfootball03 Wrote:Still not good. Still looks bad on Cal...

Exactly. The Marcus Camby stuff at UMass didn't really involve Coach Cal either but they still had a Final Four banner taken down because of it. If it happens on your watch it will follow you.
Way put up a Final Four or Runner-up banner.... You didn't win nothing. All that it say is that you are the 1st or 2nd or 3rd place loser that year.....
Nothing against Calipari here, this shouldn't even be discussed amongst UK fans.
The NCAA clearly states that this has nothing to do with Coach Cal. The facts are the facts!! It just doesn't make sense that UK would hire someone and pay all that money for a coach that would be under investigation!!
Everyone needs help every once in a while, lol!
Memorial Gym #5 Wrote:The NCAA clearly states that this has nothing to do with Coach Cal. The facts are the facts!! It just doesn't make sense that UK would hire someone and pay all that money for a coach that would be under investigation!!

I remember the initial investigation about UK basketball did not include Eddie Sutton and at Indiana, they kicked off that review as a review of the activities of Boosters with no mention of Sampson. We all know how those turned out. :igiveup:
Banners are just little trophies, it's the effort and time that make teams great.... and just because they take the "banner" away doesn't make fans, and the rest of America for that matter, forget about what all was accomplished and what a great team so and so was.

If you want to talk "looks" well, yeah, this doesn't look all too good on Kentucky. But as soon as Calipari gets out there and starts to win games this will all be forgotten.... everyone makes mistakes, but as the NCAA clearly states, this is NOT a mistake of Calipari's.
UK was said to have known about these violations before offering John Calipari the head coaching position. This is a big deal for Memphis and does look bad on Coach Cal though. Still yet, I don't think it will have much of an affect on Calipari's tenure at Kentucky.

There is a video on espn.com that has Pat Forde already trashing Cal for the allegations. What a surprise. Forde will have a story later on today concerning this news. Rick Pitino will probably co-author in the article. :biggrin:
Here is the CatsPause.com story.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=950119
It looks like the Golf Program at Memphis is worse in trouble than any other sports program at that University.

Once again, I will state my opinion. If Derek Rose cheated on his SAT Exam that was taken in Chicago, how does this involve Coach Calipari? I think that the NCAA has already looked into the allegations and have found NOTHING in regards to Coach Calipari....
I sure hope not. Coach Cal is an amazing coach. Rose messed up and cheated on his SAT, how does Coach play a role in him cheating on his SAT? What did he sit by him and tell him the answers?
well first off i dont believe coach did anything every other coach out there isn't doing. this is about SAT scores uh just wondering how coach would've this off. i guess he knew the answers or something or give hime a bluetooth and told him through it. LOL
Good one Beasy Bo
thanks i missed a few words lol....i mean really how could he affect the score pay someone off or something
Even though Cal is not mentioned in the report, it looks really bad on him...real bad. IDK how he wouldnt be mentioned to be honest, since he was the head basketball coach at the time.
Aslan Wrote:Even though Cal is not mentioned in the report, it looks really bad on him...real bad. IDK how he wouldnt be mentioned to be honest, since he was the head basketball coach at the time.

Eddie Sutton went on and coached. If there was cheating on a SAT why are we hearing about it know??? He had to have taken the thing 2 or 3 yrs. ago.
What I do not understand is how Coach Cal was supposed to know that Rose cheated on his SAT.
Cal can't be in the dorm with him, and make sure he isn't cheating.
true_blue221 Wrote:Banners are just little trophies, it's the effort and time that make teams great.... and just because they take the "banner" away doesn't make fans, and the rest of America for that matter, forget about what all was accomplished and what a great team so and so was.

If you want to talk "looks" well, yeah, this doesn't look all too good on Kentucky. But as soon as Calipari gets out there and starts to win games this will all be forgotten.... everyone makes mistakes, but as the NCAA clearly states, this is NOT a mistake of Calipari's.

Ask Chris Webber and the Fab 5 what having a banner taken down (or the members of that UMass team for that matter) feels like and I am sure they will disagree. The fact that the NCAA attempts to eliminate your accomplishment from existence has to be hard to swallow.
Stardust Wrote:I remember the initial investigation about UK basketball did not include Eddie Sutton and at Indiana, they kicked off that review as a review of the activities of Boosters with no mention of Sampson. We all know how those turned out. :igiveup:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! I like this comment..lol
I think coach Call had something to do with this...I mean he was there at the time and he was even notified about it january 16....and hey maybe he ran away from the situation....maybe he hoped his name would not be mentioned in it if he left...
Here is a fantastic article (if you are a UK fan), definately not what you would hear Pat Forde report unless this was going down West on I-64 (if he would even report at all)

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/vie...p?t=553953
theVILLE Wrote:I think coach Call had something to do with this...I mean he was there at the time and he was even notified about it january 16....and hey maybe he ran away from the situation....maybe he hoped his name would not be mentioned in it if he left...

So you assume Pitino has nothing to do with the extortion case, yet when the NCAA openly states Cal is not involved you pronounce that he is liable?

Predictable....
EKUAlum05 Wrote:So you assume Pitino has nothing to do with the extortion case, yet when the NCAA openly states Cal is not involved you pronounce that he is liable?

Predictable....

Predictable...for you to say something....Hey nothing said anything about PITINO having an affair but I took up for him and you all said I was wrong....and hey I was wrong but now its on your cats coach and suddenly nothings wrong with him...come on man just returnig the favor....if you can take it dont dish it out:redboxer:
Pages: 1 2