Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Who's the BEST teams you've seen?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What high school football team(s)from Ky. that you have seen come to mind as being the BEST you've seen?

I would have to say Boyle co. during their multiple championship runs.
I think a couple of those years they could have beat anybody, any class from Ky.:Thumbs:
The Jarrod Lorenzen, Derek Smith Highland's team would rank up there too.
The Louisville Central team that beat Belfry in the championship last year. I know there is better but that's the best "I" have seen.
Central beat Breathitt last year Ned.(lol) That Central team had a ton of speed though..
P.C.Defense Wrote:Central beat Breathitt last year Ned.(lol) That Central team had a ton of speed though..
No. They beat Breathitt this year (this years football season) I was talking about last years football season, "Karate Kid"...lol
TongueirateSho
P.C.Defense Wrote:The Jarrod Lorenzen, Derek Smith Highland's team would rank up there too.

That 98 Highlands team was very good, although you won't find any where near a concensus amongst Highlands fans that it was the best Highlands team ever. If you want to start a heated debate, get a room full of Highlands fans together with a couple coolers of beer and ask the questions of 1. best team ever, and 2. best player ever. It can be quite entertaining.

Hard for me to pick what Highlands team I thought was best, so I'll go with the non Highlands picks of the Brohm lead Trinity team and the Bush lead Male team that matched up against one another in the state finals 8 or so years ago. Those were two outstanding teams lead by two outstanding qbs. What a game.
As for me, imo : I'd have to go with the 87' football team of Pikeville High School.It was said then by many statewide,that they could beat any team regardless of class. 15-0 & state champion.
1990 Ashland team. Went 14-1. Three 1000 yard rushers, if I remember correctly they set the national rushing record at the time for one season. Someone could correct me about that if I am wrong. I don't know how they even lost a game that season.
I think the Breathitt teams that ran off 42 straight wins back in the 90's.
Guys, there are no teams that were better than the Tinity team that was led by Brian Brohm or the Louisville Male team that was led by Michael Bush... No teams in any class could compare to those two....
Best team I have ever seen play is the Belfry team with Doug Howard and David Jones.. Like someone said earlier I know there is better but that's the best I have seen.
Navajo4life Wrote:Guys, there are no teams that were better than the Tinity team that was led by Brian Brohm or the Louisville Male team that was led by Michael Bush... No teams in any class could compare to those two....

They both had great offenses but I think a couple of those Boyle teams were good enough on defense to play right with them. The Boyle teams with the Lefew brothers, Jacob Tamme, Matt Quinn, Brody Oversteet, Smith, could have hung with anybody, any class I.M.O.. You couldn't defend Tamme split out wide.
IN THE STATE OF KENTUCKY
1. Brohm Led Trinity
2. Bush Led Male
3. '98 Highlands
4. '87 Pikeville
5. '00 Boyle County
Jarons Wrote:1990 Ashland team. Went 14-1. Three 1000 yard rushers, if I remember correctly they set the national rushing record at the time for one season. Someone could correct me about that if I am wrong. I don't know how they even lost a game that season.

Ever now and then you see teams that are special like that.
In no particular order:

'80 Corbin Redhounds
'75 Middlesboro Yellow Jackets (State Runner-up)
'01 Prestonsburg Blackcats
'91 Bell County Bobcats
Trinity
St X
Boyle Co.
Highlands
Bell Co.
Belfry
Breathitt
Prestonsburg
Johnson Central (since 2004)
Henry Clay

My Top Ten, off the top of my head.
I'm glad to see that EKUAlum and I think a like
C.Clair Wrote:I think the Breathitt teams that ran off 42 straight wins back in the 90's.

This has nothing to do with your comment. But the picture shows the state championship game with central vs breathitt. Is that really all the bobcat fans that were in louisville that day? When belfry played central Belfry had there side of the field about 10x more packed with fans than in this picture. And Jackson is about 3 and half hours from louisville. Were belfry is and 5 hours. Thats kind of funny in a way.
Quote:This has nothing to do with your comment. But the picture shows the state championship game with central vs breathitt. Is that really all the bobcat fans that were in louisville that day? When belfry played central Belfry had there side of the field about 10x more packed with fans than in this picture. And Jackson is about 3 and half hours from louisville. Were belfry is and 5 hours. Thats kind of funny in a way.

Some of the reason the stands aren't packed is because Jackson was hit with a terrible ice storm the night before! The team wouldn't of made it if they didn't leave on thursday before the storm hit.
When Russell won the state championship a couple of years ago with Kaset Clark at running back.
94-whitesburg Team
Well i say that the 2002 state team from Breathitt Co. lead by Justin Haddix as Qb and recievers C. Johnson,B.Thomas,D.Barnett,M.Riley was so fun to watch and they creamed Corbin hands down ...They could/would hit you and it was a team effort and not many teams could have played with them that year...Trinity ,Male ,Hilghlands is about all that could have so i would say 2002 Breathitt Bobcat Team..Thing about it was if you played back on them Justin would run on you and if you played up Justin would pick you apart if my thinkings right Justin had 22 rushing Tds,and 58 passing Tds for a total 80 Td's in one season....Ask P'burg about him they tried to play back and he scored 5 rushing against them and the Russell came to Jackson and Bobcats played the worse they had all season in first half and won it in 2nd half and the rest was history their 3rd state Championship win against Corbin.
That was a heck of a team in 02'. I would have to say the Best Breathitt team I.M.O. was the 95' Breathitt team. Waylon Chapman at qb, Matt Sharp, Tim Barnett, Philip Watts and Darren Salyers at receivers. John Chapman at tailback and Shorty Combs and John Raider at linebackers.
You are right about Haddix. Chapman and Moore could both throw the football but Haddix could kill you throwing or running.
P.C.Defense Wrote:That was a heck of a team in 02'. I would have to say the Best Breathitt team I.M.O. was the 95' Breathitt team. Waylon Chapman at qb, Matt Sharp, Tim Barnett, Philip Watts and Darren Salyers at receivers. John Chapman at tailback and Shorty Combs and John Raider at linebackers.
You are right about Haddix. Chapman and Moore could both throw the football but Haddix could kill you throwing or running.

I tell you, there was this kid that played for Breathitt a LONG time ago. I mean a LONG LONG time ago. Went by the name of John Fugate. He was a tough 'un. Good player.
Not sure I have seen it yet, but this could be the year.
One of the best teams I have seen recently was the '07 Lexington Catholic team.
Brian Brohm's 2003 Trinity Team..
bigcoachallen Wrote:Trinity
St X
Boyle Co.
Highlands
Bell Co.
Belfry
Breathitt
Prestonsburg
Johnson Central (since 2004)
Henry Clay

My Top Ten, off the top of my head.

What years of these teams. If you just pick teams. Breathitt, Henry Clay, P-burg, Bell Co. or Johnson Central would be in the top 10.... You left out Beechwood, Lex Cath, Male, Mayfield, Cov Cath. Would be ahead of them.......
Protect_This_House26 Wrote:I tell you, there was this kid that played for Breathitt a LONG time ago. I mean a LONG LONG time ago. Went by the name of John Fugate. He was a tough 'un. Good player.

:thatsfunn He's crazy, He's crazy.(lol) I know he had this big left tackle last year that stressed him so much it took a toll on him(lol) Thanks alot J-LO, I already feel old enough(lol) That's funny I turned 39 yesterday you punk!!!!:thanks: lol
Breathitt 95;96;97; and 2002.
Pages: 1 2