Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Politics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anyone out there ever been on the wrong side of the political game of coaching?
Yes... But it is what it is and it always will be.... Also you know going in what the score is. You should not be suprised when it happens.
Well, this is true. However, when your head coach sells you out... or you get blamed for things that were not under your control... that is just unethical. You should at least be able to depend on your head coach. How else can you coach at your best, when you are constantly looking over your shoulder?
bigcoachallen Wrote:Well, this is true. However, when your head coach sells you out... or you get blamed for things that were not under your control... that is just unethical. You should at least be able to depend on your head coach. How else can you coach at your best, when you are constantly looking over your shoulder?

I've been fortune enough to work under some outstanding coaches the past few years such as Mike Whitaker and Doug Preston and crap like that just aint' happening. But my first year coaching 10 years ago I went through exactly that. A BAD coach is always looking to point the finger and not look in the mirror.
I guess I came through the opposite. My first three years were really good, because I was working for some honorable coaches. My fourth year I enjoyed because we were winning, but the new head coach hung me out to dry (didn't turn me in as a paid assistant, after being on staff for three years). I was up for tenure, but I was so disgusted that I left anyway. I do regret not getting the tenure, though... :HitWall:
bigcoachallen Wrote:I guess I came through the opposite. My first three years were really good, because I was working for some honorable coaches. My fourth year I enjoyed because we were winning, but the new head coach hung me out to dry (didn't turn me in as a paid assistant, after being on staff for three years). I was up for tenure, but I was so disgusted that I left anyway. I do regret not getting the tenure, though... :HitWall:

at Paintsville?
Nope, not Paintsville. You're close though.
I'm sure that there is a good program that would love to have someone with your expirience on staff if you look around. Do you have anyone your looking to join?
goms33 Wrote:I'm sure that there is a good program that would love to have someone with your expirience on staff if you look around. Do you have anyone your looking to join?

A couple, but I don't wanna tip my hand just yet. A really good coach and guy just took over at one place and I would love to go with him, but teaching jobs are scarce right now.
bigcoachallen Wrote:I guess I came through the opposite. My first three years were really good, because I was working for some honorable coaches. My fourth year I enjoyed because we were winning, but the new head coach hung me out to dry (didn't turn me in as a paid assistant, after being on staff for three years). I was up for tenure, but I was so disgusted that I left anyway. I do regret not getting the tenure, though... :HitWall:

Doesn't the head coach get to pick his assistants? If you were a head coach wouldn't you want to pick your own assistants? Sounds like all he did was choose his own staff and he didn't want you as one of his assistants. This happens all the time.
bigcoachallen Wrote:A couple, but I don't wanna tip my hand just yet. A really good coach and guy just took over at one place and I would love to go with him, but teaching jobs are scarce right now.

What kind of experiance do you have? Where did you play high school and college football at?
Yup, but long term I'm better off not getting the job.
Don Carlo Wrote:Doesn't the head coach get to pick his assistants? If you were a head coach wouldn't you want to pick your own assistants? Sounds like all he did was choose his own staff and he didn't want you as one of his assistants. This happens all the time.

He kept me as an assistant and just never got me paid. I worked my tail off and he kept saying that I needed to go to the board and have it fixed. When I did, they said he didn't put my name on his list. He never intended on paying me, but he didn't mind me being line coach, equipment manager, JV and Fresh coach, and even broke down all but two game films (several hours out of my Sunday).
Don Carlo Wrote:What kind of experiance do you have? Where did you play high school and college football at?

I played HS ball in eastern ky. Walked on at Georgetown. Been coaching for eight years. Ran pretty much every O and D out there at some point.
bigcoachallen Wrote:I played HS ball in eastern ky. Walked on at Georgetown. Been coaching for eight years. Ran pretty much every O and D out there at some point.

Now, besides coaching... I lift weights like there is no tomorrow. I hold six first place trophies, state, and american records in powerlifting (all post HS & College).
bigcoachallen Wrote:Now, besides coaching... I lift weights like there is no tomorrow. I hold six first place trophies, state, and american records in powerlifting (all post HS & College).

That's impressive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Thumbs:
Are you the one that was at Morgan?
Big C Allen. My nephew played at that school during the three fun years you mentioned. The only problem was they were not so fun for the players. As I recall we went from 60 players down to 19 by the last game. We only won 2 games in 4 years.
P.C.Defense Wrote:Are you the one that was at Morgan?

Yea.
P.C.Defense Wrote:Are you the one that was at Morgan?

Yea. Still there.
dawg1982 Wrote:Big C Allen. My nephew played at that school during the three fun years you mentioned. The only problem was they were not so fun for the players. As I recall we went from 60 players down to 19 by the last game. We only won 2 games in 4 years.

I didn't say they were fun. I said they were good, because I was working with the middle school and high school (learning a lot, in a short amount of time). Winning is important (or else we wouldn't compete in the first place), but when you have to sacrafice other things for that... it turns into something else.

I don't want you to put your nephew's name on here, but I am curious who he is. I'd probably still remember him. I wanted those kids to win as much, or more than anyone else there. If I could have made it so, it would have been!
dawg1982 Wrote:Big C Allen. My nephew played at that school during the three fun years you mentioned. The only problem was they were not so fun for the players. As I recall we went from 60 players down to 19 by the last game. We only won 2 games in 4 years.

It was actually 3 games. The two that Ross was there were pretty unavoidable, seeing as to how he had a stroke and lost a lot of his mobility. He just didn't wanna bail out on the kids. I was there the night he stepped down. There were few dry eyes in that cafateria.
Too bad you are not in Jefferson County. There are a lot of schools looking for an O-line coach. For some reason a good o-line coach is like finding a beauty queen who is chef.
There's some pretty bad football schools in Jefferson co. when you get away from the BIG BOYS over there. Betsy Layne would beat Atherton or Moore and no offense to Betsy Layne meant. Let's face it, when you look at Atherton, Moore, Iroquois, They're not very good.
No problem. Did you fair better at your next school? I am just curious because that staff repeatadly claimed lack of talent.I dont believe that is very honorable do you? Not lack of talent again is it. I would like to say my nephew stuck it out those 3 years but he didnt. He did however shine like the sun on a summers day the next season with the coaching change. His best friend was the player the honorable staff you were on chewed out, told he would never be a player, then went on to beat you as a star fb for your opponent in the Apple Bowl .
dawg1982 Wrote:No problem. Did you fair better at your next school? I am just curious because that staff repeatadly claimed lack of talent.I dont believe that is very honorable do you? Not lack of talent again is it. I would like to say my nephew stuck it out those 3 years but he didnt. He did however shine like the sun on a summers day the next season with the coaching change. His best friend was the player the honorable staff you were on chewed out, told he would never be a player, then went on to beat you as a star fb for your opponent in the Apple Bowl .

????? What are you talking about? Lost me on this one.
Sorry P.C.Defense
bigcoachallen asked about my nephew who played for him at a previous school
bigcoachallen Wrote:It was actually 3 games. The two that Ross was there were pretty unavoidable, seeing as to how he had a stroke and lost a lot of his mobility. He just didn't wanna bail out on the kids. I was there the night he stepped down. There were few dry eyes in that cafateria.

I need to amend this statement. It was actually 5 wins in three years. Still not good, but I just hate inaccuracies.
dawg1982 Wrote:No problem. Did you fair better at your next school? I am just curious because that staff repeatadly claimed lack of talent.I dont believe that is very honorable do you? Not lack of talent again is it. I would like to say my nephew stuck it out those 3 years but he didnt. He did however shine like the sun on a summers day the next season with the coaching change. His best friend was the player the honorable staff you were on chewed out, told he would never be a player, then went on to beat you as a star fb for your opponent in the Apple Bowl .

I don't believe that you have your facts straight on a few things. Chewing out and telling someone they were never gonna be a player was something I would never do!!! Being accused of such is not very intelligent! If you are gonna bash someone, at least know what you are talking about!:redboxer:

I was also on the staff that ended Paintsville's hope of ever winning another Apple Bowl, too by the way. I have seen and know more than you might think. You were on the outside looking in... so don't judge, lest yee be judged!
Pages: 1 2