Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Dorton Wins Pike County Track and Field Championship
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dorton wins both the boys' and girls' county championships. This was the least amount of teams competing (3) in the county championship in the 11 years I have been coaching. Hopefully next year Belfry, Johns Creek, Millard, Elkhorn, Feds Creek, Phelps, Kimper, and Mullins will field a team as well. The athletic director has talked about making it mandatory for every school. I don't see that happening, but I would like to see more teams competing. Several of these schools have too many kids to not have a team.

Either way, there were a few pretty good performances.

Cody Lawson (Dorton) won the Long Jump, 100M, 200M, and 4 x 100 M Relay.
Zach Cantrell (Dorton) won the 800 M, 4 x 100 M Relay, and 4 x 800 M Relay.
Leeza Mullins (Dorton) won the Discus, Long Jump, Triple Jump, and Javelin.

There were several other good performances which I will post in a day or two.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:Dorton wins both the boys' and girls' county championships. This was the least amount of teams competing (3) in the county championship in the 11 years I have been coaching. Hopefully next year Belfry, Johns Creek, Millard, Elkhorn, Feds Creek, Phelps, Kimper, and Mullins will field a team as well. The athletic director has talked about making it mandatory for every school. I don't see that happening, but I would like to see more teams competing. Several of these schools have too many kids to not have a team.

Either way, there were a few pretty good performances.

Cody Lawson (Dorton) won the Long Jump, 100M, 200M, and 4 x 100 M Relay.
Zach Cantrell (Dorton) won the 800 M, 4 x 100 M Relay, and 4 x 800 M Relay.
Leeza Mullins (Dorton) won the Discus, Long Jump, Triple Jump, and Javelin.

There were several other good performances which I will post in a day or two.

I would think most schools had planned to participate, but recent events probably kept them out at the last minute, i.e. Belfry and Johns Creek!
floodvictim09 Wrote:I would think most schools had planned to participate, but recent events probably kept them out at the last minute, i.e. Belfry and Johns Creek!

Actually Johns Creek hasn't had a track team in at least the last 5 years so the flood had nothing to do with them not being there. Belfry has had a track team up until this year, but did not participate in any of the 5 track meets this season (said they couldn't find a coach).
Belfry did have a coach, Israel Howard. But due to the flood, their children had other priorities at that time!
LakeLover Wrote:Belfry did have a coach, Israel Howard. But due to the flood, their children had other priorities at that time!

But what about the track meets that were before the flood. Why did Belfry not participate in those?
LakeLover Wrote:Belfry did have a coach, Israel Howard. But due to the flood, their children had other priorities at that time!

The County track meet was supposed to be held on May 12th. We asked Mr. Casey if any other schools besides the 3 that had been participating all year would be there. He said Belfry did not have a team, but he would pressure them to bring a team and he would make the May 12th meet a regular meet and change the county meet to May 18th. Like I said before, Belfry did not have a team according to the people at their school and at the BOE. They were going to try to field a team for the last week, but then the flood occurred. The flood had nothing to do with them not having a team all year long though. If so, why were they still playing baseball and volleyball after the flood, but not track?