Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Lawrence Co 5 Johnson Central 1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Josh Mills goes deep and Chandler Shepard strikes out 11 as the Dawgs get a big district win.
Congrats LC.
Just as I suspected. :biggrin: Sounds like Sheppard had another good game against JC!!
KINGJAMES#1 Wrote:Just as I suspected. :biggrin: Sounds like Sheppard had another good game against JC!!

He is the Real Deal!
grats DAWGS! what was the final score?
SolidOxygen Wrote:grats DAWGS! what was the final score?

Read the thread title it says the score lol 5-1:Thumbs:
I figured central would have been better guess I was wrong........,go dawgs
Congrats Dawgs! and Josh Mills getting his 1st Digger
Got to see this 1. Parker for Central didn't look that impressive to me after reading some threads and hearing that he was just as good as Shepherd.
Dawgs really had the bats going tonight. Looks like to me that the young Dawgs are bringing it together at the right time.
Congrats LC
57th is wide open this year. Distict tournament should be a dandy
Congrats LC. Does anybody know where the district tourny is this year?
NIKE2010 Wrote:Congrats LC. Does anybody know where the district tourny is this year?
Johnson Central
KINGJAMES#1 Wrote:Just as I suspected. :biggrin: Sounds like Sheppard had another good game against JC!!

Whatever Wrote:He is the Real Deal!

Is his scoreless innings record still going?
Stardust Wrote:Is his scoreless innings record still going?

No it was stopped at 46 or 48 somewhere in that area....

Also just a side note stardust he hit 89 once and his last pitch was 86 last night... I am not sure if 89 was his best for the night those were just the two I remember seeing.
Stardust Wrote:Is his scoreless innings record still going?
No, I believe it was Corey Adams of Paintsville that stopped it with a HR a couple weeks ago.
I would like the info on who the scoreless innings streak was against. We need our own record book in the mountains since we dont play many quality teams in a season. Just wandering who these were against.
Congrats Lawrence Co.
so who gets the #1 seed in district, and how is it decided.
gater24 Wrote:so who gets the #1 seed in district, and how is it decided.

There are still games to be played before anything is decided yet.
gater24 Wrote:so who gets the #1 seed in district, and how is it decided.
My lame math has the scenario as this:
If LC holds SC to 0 or 1 run tomorrow, they get the #1.
If LC allows 2 or more, JC gets the #1.

I have LC sitting with 11 runs allowed in seeded games, with 1 to play.
JC with 12 runs allowed, and Paintsville with 14 allowed.

Who knows, tho. They may get over there Friday and draw straws for all I know. Or play darts or sumthin. I say it will be fun either way.
:popcorn:
Batpuff Wrote:No it was stopped at 46 or 48 somewhere in that area....

Also just a side note stardust he hit 89 once and his last pitch was 86 last night... I am not sure if 89 was his best for the night those were just the two I remember seeing.
i was at the game and Shep threw good! keep the ball low the scout behind the fence said 88 or 89 was his hardest pitch but also said he dropped to consistent 84 85 after the first 2 inns personally i thought he threw alot harder in the later inn he didnt look like he was throwing that hard early but seemed to get loose later on but tats what the scout said lol he is a def stud on the mound.. i thought he could hit alot better tho?? did he just have a bad game at the plate or what?
IntheZone Wrote:i was at the game and Shep threw good! keep the ball low the scout behind the fence said 88 or 89 was his hardest pitch but also said he dropped to consistent 84 85 after the first 2 inns personally i thought he threw alot harder in the later inn he didnt look like he was throwing that hard early but seemed to get loose later on but tats what the scout said lol he is a def stud on the mound.. i thought he could hit alot better tho?? did he just have a bad game at the plate or what?

Yea he is alot better at the plate then the game he had last night..
Who ever was calling pitches in this game should find another profession. An accurate pitching chart directly behind me had Shep at 68 curve balls through 5-inn. He spots pitches very well, would be just as effective with a good change-up. Enjoy watching him while you can at this rate his arm won't last long.
The kid throws 89 and his first pitch of the game was a breaking ball. I thought that was kinda of funny.
Eagle Pride 90` Wrote:Who ever was calling pitches in this game should find another profession. An accurate pitching chart directly behind me had Shep at 68 curve balls through 5-inn. He spots pitches very well, would be just as effective with a good change-up. Enjoy watching him while you can at this rate his arm won't last long.

The thing is , he has a very good changeup, and IMO that is the most effective pitch in baseball anyways. As hard as he throws, as well as he spots, as good as his changeup is, and considering the level of competition that he is throwing at, I'm not understanding the need to be throwing many curve balls to begin with. Heck, he's only a sophomore. He is a long way from being physically developed right now.

Everybody has their own style in which they throw, but with the upright delivery that he throws in, it looks like it would have to be terribly stressful on areas of his arm, especially with as many breaking balls that he throws. I would personally like to see him have a longer stride and use his legs and torso a little more. I think it would not only extend his career , but would actually give him even more velocity. Forget about striking people out. Worry about groundballs and keeping the pitch count low.

Even high school ironmen in time will rust. With a pitcher it's generally not a question of "if " they will have trouble somewhere down the line it's more of a question of "when". It's very important to preserve what you have and and try to extend it for as long as you can. Elbow problems are not fun, I can assure you.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:The thing is , he has a very good changeup, and IMO that is the most effective pitch in baseball anyways. As hard as he throws, as well as he spots, as good as his changeup is, and considering the level of competition that he is throwing at, I'm not understanding the need to be throwing many curve balls to begin with. Heck, he's only a sophomore. He is a long way from being physically developed right now.

Everybody has their own style in which they throw, but with the upright delivery that he throws in, it looks like it would have to be terribly stressful on areas of his arm, especially with as many breaking balls that he throws. I would personally like to see him have a longer stride and use his legs and torso a little more. I think it would not only extend his career , but would actually give him even more velocity. Forget about striking people out. Worry about groundballs and keeping the pitch count low.

Even high school ironmen in time will rust. With a pitcher it's generally not a question of "if " they will have trouble somewhere down the line it's more of a question of "when". It's very important to preserve what you have and and try to extend it for as long as you can. Elbow problems are not fun, I can assure you.

The biggest difference in high school and college is the overall speed of the game and the changeup. I pesonally think pitchers should develop a changeup first before the develop a curveball, but thats just not realistic for some reason. It is hard to throw an accurate changeup without good technique, and you can be lazy and still have a good curveball, but it would be nice to see more changeups rather than curveballs in high school. It is a much more accurate and effective pitch to have in the arsenal once you get to the next level.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:The biggest difference in high school and college is the overall speed of the game and the changeup. I pesonally think pitchers should develop a changeup first before the develop a curveball, but thats just not realistic for some reason. It is hard to throw an accurate changeup without good technique, and you can be lazy and still have a good curveball, but it would be nice to see more changeups rather than curveballs in high school. It is a much more accurate and effective pitch to have in the arsenal once you get to the next level.
I think the curve ball is overused so much with younger kids because it's hard for most kids at this level to hit, and it does makes the "K stats" look good. I think that people should be looking on down the road as far as the well being of the kids a little more, and not be so concerned with the overwhelming desire just to win at any and all costs.

It's not a lizard's tail that's hanging on these kids shoulders. Their arms wont grow back.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I think the curve ball is overused so much with younger kids because it's hard for most kids at this level to hit, and it does makes the "K stats" look good. I think that people should be looking on down the road as far as the well being of the kids a little more, and not be so concerned with the overwhelming desire just to win at any and all costs.

It's not a lizard's tail that's hanging on these kids shoulders. Their arms wont grow back.

And that is also a good example of why so little amount of people from this area ever go on to bigger things, mainly because they were misused in high school and even if they have the most potential of anybody in the state, the coaches in this area are not educated enough to know how to develop young talent, and keep them from being hurt. Just look what happened to Scotty Little? He tried to go to a JUCO this past season but wasnt ever used more than one inning or possibly two and now he wants to go somewhere to play outfield and hit and doesnt even want to pitch anymore. That is a shame. I am afraid if Shephard doesn't watch and is not properly taken care of it could possibly happen to him as well.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:And that is also a good example of why so little amount of people from this area ever go on to bigger things, mainly because they were misused in high school and even if they have the most potential of anybody in the state, the coaches in this area are not educated enough to know how to develop young talent, and keep them from being hurt. Just look what happened to Scotty Little? He tried to go to a JUCO this past season but wasnt ever used more than one inning or possibly two and now he wants to go somewhere to play outfield and hit and doesnt even want to pitch anymore. That is a shame. I am afraid if Shephard doesn't watch and is not properly taken care of it could possibly happen to him as well.
Shepherd reminds me so much of Chaz Harmon growing up with his arsenal and in the way he pitches.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Shepherd reminds me so much of Chaz Harmon growing up with his arsenal and in the way he pitches.

Your exactly right he really does! He is a great talent and I think this summer will help him out tremendously, hopefully Midland will be able to get his changeup to a point where he is comfortable throwing it more. I hope he does well for them.
Pages: 1 2