Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Coach Mickey retires!!!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Long time Belfry Pirate Defensive coordinator Steve Mickey has retired after 33 years on the sideline. Coach Mickey has been such a mentor to so many young people in the community both on and off the field. He will definitely be missed. One of my best memories while at Belfry was watching for the team to come down "the ramp" and running through the tunnel with him when I cheered my first football game 20+ years ago. He has been my hero all my life. I will miss all the inside scoop and game week excitement but we have lots of plans and BBQ festivals to hit! To my brother.... thank you for all the memories but let's go make some new ones!!!!! Also, to BGR it has been real!!!! Coach Mickey's lil sis:worthy:
Well Coach Mick has had one heckuva run!

If you made a short list of the top assistant coaches in the state Mickey clearly would be right at the top of it. Phenominal motivator and a guy who has genuinely invested so much to his school, community, and church. I hope Coach Mickey's retirement bring him nothing but fulfillment!
Enjoy retirement coach. Your experience and leadership will be missed.

Anyone have an idea on who will take over the position? Cassell?
Huge loss for the Pirates.

I wish Coach Mickey and Mrs. Mickey well.
Pond Creek Wrote:Long time Belfry Pirate Defensive coordinator Steve Mickey has retired after 33 years on the sideline. Coach Mickey has been such a mentor to so many young people in the community both on and off the field. He will definitely be missed. One of my best memories while at Belfry was watching for the team to come down "the ramp" and running through the tunnel with him when I cheered my first football game 20+ years ago. He has been my hero all my life. I will miss all the inside scoop and game week excitement but we have lots of plans and BBQ festivals to hit! To my brother.... thank you for all the memories but let's go make some new ones!!!!! Also, to BGR it has been real!!!! Coach Mickey's lil sis:worthy:
And in is Jay Perkins from Powell County.
Does anyone think this will have an effect on how much longer Coach Haywood continues to coach?
I have the oppurtunity to talk to Coach M many times over the years. Heck of a coach and even better man. I wish him happiness in his new life!!!
Never meet the guy, but have heard nothing but great things about him!!
Big time loss for Belfry.
yes very big loss, great man and coach.......you did at great job coach
Tough loss for Pirate Football.. Wish him the best, whoever takes over his position has really big shoes to fill, in knowledge and personality..
I knew Coach Mick was retiring from teaching, but is it 100% that he is thru with football?
Ive always said that Steve Mickey has been a huge part of the Pirates success. I hope he still writes his racing column in the paper, I enjoy reading it. IMO I dont think Phillip Heywood is very far behind him either.
good luck on your retirement coach
BoondockSaint Wrote:I knew Coach Mick was retiring from teaching, but is it 100% that he is thru with football?
Yeah it's 110 percent. He's done talked to the kids and the coaching staff. I spoke with Coach the other day. He will be a big loss. The reason Belfry is so good is because Coach Haywood places coaches around him who truly know the game. Coach Haywood can roam from position to position and take it all in while the assistants do a ton of the teaching. If other coaches could learn to do this then their programs would be a lot better. Coach Mickey has been a huge part of what Belfry has become and will forever be engraved in the tradition known as Pirate football.
Belfry Wins Wrote:Yeah it's 110 percent. He's done talked to the kids and the coaching staff. I spoke with Coach the other day. He will be a big loss. The reason Belfry is so good is because Coach Haywood places coaches around him who truly know the game. Coach Haywood can roam from position to position and take it all in while the assistants do a ton of the teaching. If other coaches could learn to do this then their programs would be a lot better. Coach Mickey has been a huge part of what Belfry has become and will forever be engraved in the tradition known as Pirate football.

Jay Perkins is coming from Powell.Already told thePowell players.
Breathitt Bobcat Wrote:Jay Perkins is coming from Powell.Already told thePowell players.

Unless you have viable proof this will be considered a rumor.... Until the gentleman arrives or it is released publically, again... this is a RUMOR!!!!
phs1986 Wrote:Unless you have viable proof this will be considered a rumor.... Until the gentleman arrives or it is released publically, again... this is a RUMOR!!!!
You'll see.Call and ask him.My last "rumor" was true and so is this one.
Breathitt Bobcat Wrote:You'll see.Call and ask him.My last "rumor" was true and so is this one.

I did NOT say that it wasn't true, just that until some proof is provided, it will be handled as a rumor! Sorry if that offends you but that is the way it works on ths site!

As for Coach Mick, he is an outstanding man who has been a great mentor to many young men throughout his career as a teacher/coach. God bless him and Mrs. Mickey in whatever path they choose!!
Breathitt Bobcat Wrote:You'll see.Call and ask him.My last "rumor" was true and so is this one.

He is coming to Belfry to take Coach Mickeys place?

What does he teach?
NEXT Wrote:He is coming to Belfry to take Coach Mickeys place?

What does he teach?
Nothing;he is a State Police.
Breathitt Bobcat Wrote:Nothing;he is a State Police.

Sweet.
Can't believe I am saying this, but I kinda would like to see Belfry keep in the family here and promote one of the current staff.

I usually don't advocate that way.
Breathitt Bobcat Wrote:Jay Perkins is coming from Powell.Already told thePowell players.

why would they take this guy,powell is no power house... give some information on this guy ...what has he done?
PaytoPlay Wrote:Can't believe I am saying this, but I kinda would like to see Belfry keep in the family here and promote one of the current staff.

I usually don't advocate that way.

That's how they usually do. That's why I was surprised they chose a random person from Powell? Does this guy have any coaching experience besides at Powell??
cuppett777 Wrote:why would they take this guy,powell is no power house... give some information on this guy ...what has he done?

Jay was the linebacker coach at Clark county for 6 or 7 years before coming to Powell co. He worked with my linebackers last season and did a great job. Jay is a great motivator and he gets the players pumped up. He is a great addition to any staff.
P.C.Defense Wrote:Jay was the linebacker coach at Clark county for 6 or 7 years before coming to Powell co. He worked with my linebackers last season and did a great job. Jay is a great motivator and he gets the players pumped up. He is a great addition to any staff.

what kind of defense does he run?
cuppett777 Wrote:what kind of defense does he run?

a bad one. i think he bought his playbook at the fle market.
cuppett777 Wrote:what kind of defense does he run?

Doesnt matter what he ran before, I'm betting he runs the 5-2 when he gets here.
NEXT Wrote:Doesnt matter what he ran before, I'm betting he runs the 5-2 when he gets here.

LOL... If he's comin he might just be learning a few things himself!!
Pages: 1 2