Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky All Stars announced
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Kentucky boys All Star team has been announced. Leading the team is Mr.Basketball, and University of Kentucky signee, Jon Hood. The rest of the team consists of:

6'7 Darren Ballou - Adair County

5'9 Delon Butler - Apollo

6'1 Ethan Faulkner - Elliot County

6'1 Evan Faulkner - Elliot County

6'7 Jon Hood - Madisonville

6'1 Corey Jackson - Shawnee

6'4 Russ Middleton - Mason County

6'5 C.J. Penny - Anderson County

6'3 Vee Sanford - Lexington Catholic

6'1 Corey Wilford - Christian County

6'3 Aaron Wilson - Fulton City

6'4 Ridge Wilson - Central
I must say, I'm very surprised with some of the selections.

No way the kid from Apollo or the Faulkner twins should have made it over Riley of Holmes, Dowe of Eastern, or Mosley of Moore. The only reason the kid from Apollo made it is because the head coach of the KY team is also the head coach of Apollo.

The Indiana squad is going to blow this team out of the water both games.
Looks like a pretty good list. There are a couple kids that i think should have been on there Crawford from Corbin, Dowe from Eastern, Riley from Holmes, Jackson from Scott Co. (but there are always going to be some snubs)
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Looks like a pretty good list. There are a couple kids that i think should have been on there Crawford from Corbin, Dowe from Eastern, Riley from Holmes, Jackson from Scott Co. (but there are always going to be some snubs)

He was a junior this past season.

I do feel that Dowe (Eastern) & Mosley (Moore) should have been on the team.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:He was a junior this past season.

Thats right, my fault it was Phares that was the senior, i got mixed up.
The 5th region had the best senior class and they only got one guy in, I dont think the 7th can complain too much. The 7th region is great but not the 2009 class.
I can't believe Chris Dowe didn't make the team.

Pretty good list overall, though.
I can't Believe the State Champs didn't have a player make the team! Wow!
Holmes stars players were juniors this year, the allstar team is for the class of 2009 only, they will make it next year.
Wonder how many players didn't even make the try-outs that were invited?
5throundball Wrote:The 5th region had the best senior class and they only got one guy in, I dont think the 7th can complain too much. The 7th region is great but not the 2009 class.

Without Phares and Jenkins, the 2009 team is no where close to being as good as they should be. Those two hampered by injuries kept them out.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I must say, I'm very surprised with some of the selections.

No way the kid from Apollo or the Faulkner twins should have made it over Riley of Holmes, Dowe of Eastern, or Mosley of Moore. The only reason the kid from Apollo made it is because the head coach of the KY team is also the head coach of Apollo.

The Indiana squad is going to blow this team out of the water both games.

The twins must be better than you think, at least some colleges seem to think so, Radford (D-1) NKU (D-2). I believe you posted earlier that Riley was going to Cincy State (JUCO).

If Riley was so much better, why didn't he go to a D-1, D-2, D-3 or a NAIA school? I'm not saying that Riley is not a good basketball player, when I've watched him he has played very good and he seems like a nice kid and very humble.

You could get your point across and make your statement without picking specific names of kids. You just don't get-it do you! For someone to claim to be working for an organization that evaluates, and writes about basketball talent; your always biased and just love to cut other kids down. You need to grow up and try to be a responsible adult. "CHIEF" (I hate it when you reply to someone's post and call them "CHIEF")!

I don't see professionals like Jody Demling, Mike Fields, Mark Maggard, Ryan Ernst etc. do what you do.

You have already been kicked off twice from another site like this one out of NKY and now you are bringing the same garbage to this site! I believe a lot of subscribers on this site feel the same way I do. CHIEF!
goodguy Wrote:The twins must be better than you think, at least some colleges seem to think so, Radford (D-1) NKU (D-2). I believe you posted earlier that Riley was going to Cincy State (JUCO).

If Riley was so much better, why didn't he go to a D-1, D-2, D-3 or a NAIA school? I'm not saying that Riley is not a good basketball player, when I've watched him he has played very good and he seems like a nice kid and very humble.

You could get your point across and make your statement without picking specific names of kids. You just don't get-it do you! For someone to claim to be working for an organization that evaluates, and writes about basketball talent; your always biased and just love to cut other kids down. You need to grow up and try to be a responsible adult. "CHIEF" (I hate it when you reply to someone's post and call them "CHIEF")!

I don't see professionals like Jody Demling, Mike Fields, Mark Maggard, Ryan Ernst etc. do what you do.

You have already been kicked off twice from another site like this one out of NKY and now you are bringing the same garbage to this site! I believe a lot of subscribers on this site feel the same way I do. CHIEF!

I agree 100% GREAT POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
goodguy Wrote:The twins must be better than you think, at least some colleges seem to think so, Radford (D-1) NKU (D-2). I believe you posted earlier that Riley was going to Cincy State (JUCO).

In all fairness, just because a kid goes to a high-major or mid-major, or any D1 school, does not mean they are better than other kids or even talented enough for that level. Just ask Ty Proffitt and Clark Stepp.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:He was a junior this past season.

I could see Dowe on the team, but Mosely is not one that would have helped. Jordan Hull would have field day on Mosely since Mosely believes defense is an "elective" part of basketball and at 5'10, that's not a good thing.

And really, do you want a point guard that's going to shoot it every other time down the court? Kentucky has zero height, ball control and patience is everything.
5throundball Wrote:The 5th region had the best senior class and they only got one guy in, I dont think the 7th can complain too much. The 7th region is great but not the 2009 class.

The 5th region was the worst region in the state last season. Ballou played on the junior allstar team and was relative non-factor. Wait until you see Ballou go up against VanTreese, that'll be interesting.

Before you go calling out the 7th region again. Manual swept the 4 top teams in the 5th region by an average of nearly 16 points. Bardtown, North Hardin, Taylor County, and Adair, all got pummelled by Manual who was the 4th or 5th best team in the 7th.

The top player in the 7th and top player from the junior allstar team was injured. Again, no Phares on the inside and Jenkins on the perimeter doomed this year's chances.

Riley was being courted by several D2 schools and also had Morehead very interested in him. He chose to go the JUCO route though so he could play right away and get better looks in two years. Austin Hill took the JUCO route as well but do you honestly think some of the other kids who played D2 out of that class were better than him? It's more a matter of where a kid fits in. Austin took that route to help improve his game and get him more playing time right away. It benefitted him because now he'll be playing at a D1 program (Illinois St), and be able to play right away and make an impact.

Where a kid chooses to play ball doesn't reflect how good they are. Many kids choose to take the JUCO route and then end up at big D1 programs, so your argument there holds little validity.

For example, Elijah Pittman will probably end up at a JUCO next year...and he is one of the top 2 players in the state.
Lets keep the posts on-topic.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Riley was being courted by several D2 schools and also had Morehead very interested in him. He chose to go the JUCO route though so he could play right away and get better looks in two years. Austin Hill took the JUCO route as well but do you honestly think some of the other kids who played D2 out of that class were better than him? It's more a matter of where a kid fits in. Austin took that route to help improve his game and get him more playing time right away. It benefitted him because now he'll be playing at a D1 program (Illinois St), and be able to play right away and make an impact.

Where a kid chooses to play ball doesn't reflect how good they are. Many kids choose to take the JUCO route and then end up at big D1 programs, so your argument there holds little validity.

For example, Elijah Pittman will probably end up at a JUCO next year...and he is one of the top 2 players in the state.

I can understand that and agree with that philosophy. Sometimes the some of the best players end up in Junior Colleges also because they may not have met the academic requirements, PSAT or ACT scores to get into a D-1,2 or 3 school. I applaud a kid that would go this route instead of not going to school at all.

I just don't agree with naming specific kids and saying someone should be on an allstar team and not them. I know these kids get on the internet and read this stuff.
That is a fair list. If they just pick seniors this year.
goodguy Wrote:I can understand that and agree with that philosophy. Sometimes the some of the best players end up in Junior Colleges also because they may not have met the academic requirements, PSAT or ACT scores to get into a D-1,2 or 3 school. I applaud a kid that would go this route instead of not going to school at all.

I just don't agree with naming specific kids and saying someone should be on an allstar team and not them. I know these kids get on the internet and read this stuff.

Fair enough.

But at the same time, if a college coach or recruiter were to point out negatives in a kid's game and say they thought another player was better, would you think of them as "bashing" the kid as well? There's nothing wrong with pointing out a kid's weaknesses and saying they think someone else is better. It's all a matter of opinion.

When I was in high school things were said about me on these types of websites as well, but honestly I could care less. If kids get on here and take what's said to heart, then they really need to work on the mental part of their game because there are always going to be critics out there whether we like it or not.

As far as the all star team, I think they can do well with this group of young men because a lot of them have strong work ethics. I just don't think the overall talent is there without players like Riley, Dowe, Jenkins, Phares, etc. to knock off the Indiana squad or be competitive with them.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Fair enough.

But at the same time, if a college coach or recruiter were to point out negatives in a kid's game and say they thought another player was better, would you think of them as "bashing" the kid as well? There's nothing wrong with pointing out a kid's weaknesses and saying they think someone else is better. It's all a matter of opinion.

When I was in high school things were said about me on these types of websites as well, but honestly I could care less. If kids get on here and take what's said to heart, then they really need to work on the mental part of their game because there are always going to be critics out there whether we like it or not.

As far as the all star team, I think they can do well with this group of young men because a lot of them have strong work ethics. I just don't think the overall talent is there without players like Riley, Dowe, Jenkins, Phares, etc. to knock off the Indiana squad or be competitive with them.

Put the starting line-up as:

PG-Riley
2G-Jenkins
3G-Sanford
4F-Hood
C-Phares

And Kentucky can compete
Against the Indiana Allstars (aka Indiana Elite aau) with that lineup.

I will go out on a rope here and say Riley is as good as they come at point guard in Kentucky. At the Kentucky Elite Camp last summerr you had Riley leading a squad of Jenkins, Pittman, Clarence Trent, and Johhnson, and they flat out played some serious hoops with Riley running the point. Jenkins and Pittman were unreal and a great deal of it was the Riley factor.

The allstar team this year is a decent list, but without the elite talent in the class playing they will miss Riley's quickness, Jenkins' as a pure scorer, Dowe's defense, and Phare's height and rebounding.
cougarpride08 Wrote:That is a fair list. If they just pick seniors this year.
They pick seniors every year.
BUHoops Wrote:Put the starting line-up as:

PG-Riley
2G-Jenkins
3G-Sanford
4F-Hood
C-Phares

And Kentucky can compete
Against the Indiana Allstars (aka Indiana Elite aau) with that lineup.

I will go out on a rope here and say Riley is as good as they come at point guard in Kentucky. At the Kentucky Elite Camp last summerr you had Riley leading a squad of Jenkins, Pittman, Clarence Trent, and Johhnson, and they flat out played some serious hoops with Riley running the point. Jenkins and Pittman were unreal and a great deal of it was the Riley factor.

The allstar team this year is a decent list, but without the elite talent in the class playing they will miss Riley's quickness, Jenkins' as a pure scorer, Dowe's defense, and Phare's height and rebounding.

I agree. That lineup would absolutely be enough to beat the Indy All Stars.

I was at the blue chip Kentucky Elite Camp last year as well and that team with Riley, Pittman, Johnson, and Jenkins were very fun to watch. Jenkins absolutely thrived with Riley running the point. In the game against the team with Jackson, Guyn, and Euton (SC), Jenkins dropped over 30 from Riley getting him open looks by driving and then dishing out.

Riley is very underrated because of the "Big 3" juniors that Holmes has but the kid can flat out play ball. He was the third leading scorer on a team full of talent this past year and was the key, IMO, to Holmes success all year. He shot 48% from the field, 41% from 3 pt land, and was an 83% free throw shooter. That's pretty solid if you ask me.
Kentucky High School Basketball is the weakest I have ever seen. Anyone who went to the state tournament in March would have to agree. The sad thing is, I don't see it getting any better in the near future.
zulu Wrote:Kentucky High School Basketball is the weakest I have ever seen. Anyone who went to the state tournament in March would have to agree. The sad thing is, I don't see it getting any better in the near future.

Are you serious? Kentucky is going through one of it's greatest talent cycles ever right now.

The class of 2010 and 2011 are both loaded with D1 players. There were also two teams in KY to finish ranked nationally this past year. Holmes finished in the top 25 nationally in the Maxpreps Xcellent 25, ESPN Fab 50, Rivals 100, Calpreps.com top 25, and the Prepnation.com top 25.

Scott Co was also ranked in the top 25 nationally several times throughout the season as well and both Eastern and J'town were ranked in the top 100.

To say that Kentucky basketball is the weakest you've ever seen is quite comical considering the success our KY teams had this past season against national opponents. Kentucky basketball is VERY good right now.

Kentucky's best year in and year out can compete with the nation's best. Holmes and Scott Co next year will both be preseason top 25 nationally.
dnt matter who got picked, its a dun deal, be happy for whoever got picked, there repersenting our state with pride.. congrats to them