Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Future Head Coaches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Saw a discussion on another thread about this subject. Who are some assistants who have, or will have the capability to become a Varsity level head coach in the future?
Justin Haddix
Steve Hollon
Bebo Combs
TheGuyYouLoveToHate Wrote:Justin Haddix

I agree very much so. Justin could very well be the coach in waiting for the bobcats, whenever Holcomb decides to hang up the whistle.
Hollon, Combs and Haddix..... are there any others?
K. Singleton & B. hodge both youngbloods that have what it takes to be very good head coaches
Russ Swim - Estill Co.
Swim does a good job over at Estill.
Todd Massey and Evan Napier at Clay Co.
Scotty Russel at Knox

Fred Hoskins from Bell probably one of the most underrated coaches in the state.
I think that there are a couple of assistants at Louisville Central that are in line to benefit from their success in the very near future.
Doug Lucas the former head coach at Butler is the QB coach/Off Coord. (Scroggins the HC actually calls the plays during games.
Terry Rice-Locket former LB at UofL is the Defensive Coord.
James Simspon former LB at UK coaches Safeties and could be at one of the open positions in jefferson county, (Atherton, Iriquios, PRP)
I know that John Carroll has put in his time at Shelby County and is looking for a challenge to be a varsity head coach. Hopefully if something happens to the PCC job, then he will be given a lot of consideration for the job. I know that he is anxious to move back home and run a program at PCC
James DeRossett - Prestonsburg
Would love to see coach maggard at LCC get a head coaching job somewhere.
In think Jason Baber of Estill County could be a great Head Coach. He runs the line in Estill and is Jone's right hand man.
Didn't Maggard coach at Morgan already?
King Leonidas Wrote:Didn't Maggard coach at Morgan already?

YES
You mean Morgan County?
Justin Haddix someday soon will get his chance,he is a very good coach atnd knows both sides of the ball and has great repour with kids and can push them to heights they dont even know they can get too and knows many college coaches that calls him and ask about kids,so he will do well and will soon be a head coach..
Bored of Ed Wrote:In think Jason Baber of Estill County could be a great Head Coach. He runs the line in Estill and is Jone's right hand man.

:thatsfunn :lmao: Nothing against Jason but NO! Russ Swim is the line coach and he is not Jones right hand man. Jason is a good guy and is just fine for what he does.
I believe there are a lot of assistant coaches who have the capability to take the head coach position, but until someone takes a chance and lets them prove it... it is just like any other job. No one wants you if you don't already have the experience. I suppose that a lot of people think head coaches fall from heaven and immediately take over.
MR. NOBODY Wrote::thatsfunn :lmao: Nothing against Jason but NO! Russ Swim is the line coach and he is not Jones right hand man. Jason is a good guy and is just fine for what he does.

I thought Swim was the O-cord?
He is both the OL coach and the OC I believe. Do not know any HS coaches that are just OC or DCs. Even the college guys help/coach a position.
No, but they're plenty of OL coaches that aren't O-CORD'S.
Do you know any O or D line coaches that aren't O or D cord's, I know alot of them.(even at the college level) Just didn't want to sell the guy short here.
MR. NOBODY Wrote::thatsfunn :lmao: Nothing against Jason but NO! Russ Swim is the line coach and he is not Jones right hand man. Jason is a good guy and is just fine for what he does.

Well around the office he had told us about coaching the line and being involved in the calling of offense for JV and helping Jones to call the Defense for varsity. I seen him in the paper and stuff. On friday night's he's on the sideline with the headsets calling out the plays. I think that he really has potential to be a good head man someday.
One of the best places to look for possible future head coaches is in programs that have been successful for a long time (ex. Breathitt, Belfry, Sheldon Clark, etc).
Mr. Garry Morris at Russell is in the wings waiting for when Ivan finally hangs them up. And he is more than ready if he wants the job. One of the finest defensive minds in our area.
Bill Spencer at Fleming County will make a great head coach. He is the defensive coordinator and strength coach. He works hard and the kids really love playing for him.
Having the players' respect and devotion is crucial. However, I have seen a few coaches that were too "buddy-buddy" and when the chips were down, the kids would crumble when he got onto them. It is a fine line. One that is learned from years of experience and watching the old wolves in action. Jim Matney can really get them going, for example. My old defense coach, when I played back in the early 90's always got me fired up. He was 50+ years old, shaved head, earring, benched 400+, former marine... need I say more!

I would have ran through a brick wall for that guy: Ron Mills!!!