Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bishop Brossart 2009
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Does anyone think they will be better this coming season?
It will be a significant challenge. They just don't have the numbers. They lose a couple of very solid players and really don't have the type of players that can step in and replace them. Brossart may take several years to build a competitive program
Second-year Bishop Brossart football coach Matt Reinhart admittedly had a lot of selling to do in the offseason. He needed bodies to fill a varsity squad that took more than its share of lumps last season and more bodies to fill the program's inaugural youth team.

So how do you sell a program that has yet to win a game in two years of varsity competition?

Reinhart explains:

"You have to let them know that we've turned the page. And I know that's hard to say that when you haven't won a game.

"But if you look at the last minute and a half of our (61-6) loss Gallatin County, you saw what I'm talking about. We drove down and we scored. We had a sense of urgency, that we weren't going to get shut out. We didn't belong on the same field with Gallatin County, but we didn't give in and we didn't quit.

"That's the type of kid we have here. That's what I'm selling and that's who I'm selling it to. They want to be part of Brossart."

Brossart is a small school with large athletic accomplishments. The Mustangs have won 20 state titles in five sports. The fledgling football program, meanwhile, enters the season with more pedestrian goals: 1) to increase participation and, 2) to win a game.

The Mustangs reached the first benchmark in the offseason.

"We were at 34 last year (freshmen through senior)," Reinhart said. "And now we're at 40. It's baby steps."

If this season plays out similarly to last year, they'll need plenty of bodies. Brossart lost eight players to season-ending injuries in the first three games. Midway through the schedule the varsity team started an offensive line comprised entirely of freshmen.

The young team found itself in very few close games, losing by an average score of 48-6. During a five-game midseason stretch, opponents outscored the Mustangs 253-6.

A healthier 2009 should make for better results, as should a revamped schedule. Playoff teams Newport, Eminence, Christian Academy of Louisville and Gallatin County have been replaced on the Mustangs' schedule by Betsy Layne, Bethel-Tate and Bracken County. Brossart also scheduled a game with Jenkins after previously-scheduled opponent Beth Haven dropped its football program.

(2 of 2)

Brossart remains in one of the state's toughest Class 1A district's with back-to-back defending state champion Beechwood. But the Mustangs' non-district opponents combined to go just 11-41 in 2008.

"We're kind of in a tough unfair situation, because we're in one of the only six-team districts in the state," said Brossart athletic director Mel Webster. "And it's a tough one. We wanted to take a hard look at the other five teams on our schedule and make sure that we could be competitive. You don't want to put yourself in a futile situation."

In that vein, Reinhart has made a point to get the program's middle school team up and running. Shortly after taking the job he began fundraising and talking to students at Brossart's five feeder schools. In February he held sign-ups. Later this month the team will take to the field with 40 players.

"That program is so key; I wish it had been in place from the start," Reinhart said. "When you build a team, you want to start as low as you can and work up."

NKY.com
Bishop Brossart has a good shot at beating Betsy Layne and Jenkins.
I love the betsy layne comment. I can't wait to see them on the hill!!!
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Bishop Brossart has a good shot at beating Betsy Layne and Jenkins.

Until they win a game, Brossart goes into every game as a big underdog.
I wish coach Rienhart luck. How can you sell a team that went 0-10? Especially when you have so many other teams (Newport, New Cath, Dayton, Bellvue, Campbell County, and Highlands) in the same county.
It seems that the school is committed to building the program and they are putting money into facilities for the kids and this is the first time that they've had a coach for two whole years. They are taking a step in the right direction by building a feeder program, but the road they are on is going to be a tough one that's going to take some time.
Stardust Wrote:It will be a significant challenge. They just don't have the numbers. They lose a couple of very solid players and really don't have the type of players that can step in and replace them. Brossart may take several years to build a competitive program

By the way, you're picture is freaking hilarious. I crack up laughing everytime I see it.
Rob Van Winkle Wrote:By the way, you're picture is freaking hilarious. I crack up laughing everytime I see it.

:Thumbs:
Rob Van Winkle Wrote:I wish coach Rienhart luck. How can you sell a team that went 0-10? Especially when you have so many other teams (Newport, New Cath, Dayton, Bellvue, Campbell County, and Highlands) in the same county.

It's likely that the only real competition for athletes for Brossart is NewCath. They're the only two catholic schools in the county with NewCath being in the northern end and Brossart being sort of south central. I believe they each have their own feeder schools, but any kid from any parish can attend either school, and a lot of time you have other factors that sway kids, like where dad went and where his friends are going. I have a friend who has a son at Brossart, but always thought he would go to NewCath. The kid was a pretty decent athlete, UNLIKE HIS DAD :biggrin:, and the Brossart people took notice. My buddy complained about the "recruiting" that was going on, and was initially very cool to the idea of Brossart. Eventually he came around, and these days puts a very different spin on the story. :lmao:
So Can you dig it? How are they looking in the offseason? Do you think they will win a game this year?
Can you dig it? Wrote:It's likely that the only real competition for athletes for Brossart is NewCath. They're the only two catholic schools in the county with NewCath being in the northern end and Brossart being sort of south central. I believe they each have their own feeder schools, but any kid from any parish can attend either school, and a lot of time you have other factors that sway kids, like where dad went and where his friends are going. I have a friend who has a son at Brossart, but always thought he would go to NewCath. The kid was a pretty decent athlete, UNLIKE HIS DAD :biggrin:, and the Brossart people took notice. My buddy complained about the "recruiting" that was going on, and was initially very cool to the idea of Brossart. Eventually he came around, and these days puts a very different spin on the story. :lmao:

Look, if you are going to Brossart versus NCC, you are not going because of Football. Brossart will not compete for football for years, NCC plays for championships. Now that the Campbell County program has the youth league, the best players will wind up at CCHS, and left-overs may go to Brossart.
Stardust Wrote:Look, if you are going to Brossart versus NCC, you are not going because of Football. Brossart will not compete for football for years, NCC plays for championships. Now that the Campbell County program has the youth league, the best players will wind up at CCHS, and left-overs may go to Brossart.

You may be correct:Thumbs:
betsylaynealum Wrote:So Can you dig it? How are they looking in the offseason? Do you think they will win a game this year?

I just heard from a friend who has a son at Brossart, that the starting QB has decided to not play football and concentrate on basketball. They can not afford to lose players!
sstack Wrote:I just heard from a friend who has a son at Brossart, that the starting QB has decided to not play football and concentrate on basketball. They can not afford to lose players!

I assume you are talking about Spencer?
Wow, that would be a major loss, losing the quarterback
sstack Wrote:I just heard from a friend who has a son at Brossart, that the starting QB has decided to not play football and concentrate on basketball. They can not afford to lose players!

Do you know what the back-up looks like? That is a major loss to any team.
BOBCAT-BLACK & GOLD Wrote:Do you know what the back-up looks like? That is a major loss to any team.

umm, the starter was not even a QB. You guys don't have much to worry about!
betsylaynealum Wrote:So Can you dig it? How are they looking in the offseason? Do you think they will win a game this year?

No idea. I'm not entrenched in the Brossart system. I just poop out what I read and hear. :biggrin: Not hearing much from anyone of late on Brossart, but I'll be surprised if they wind up as something other than a whipping boy this year.
Stardust Wrote:Look, if you are going to Brossart versus NCC, you are not going because of Football. Brossart will not compete for football for years, NCC plays for championships. Now that the Campbell County program has the youth league, the best players will wind up at CCHS, and left-overs may go to Brossart.

Look, no kidding. My point was that if you're someone looking for a catholic education in Campbell County, you have two choices. I agree that if football is your game and you want to play on a championship contender, NewCath is your place. That said, if you have talent and want to play and make your mark as early as possible, Brossart could be the place for you.
Did Brossart end up getting the QB from Twenhofel last year? I know he had plans of going to Brossart.
plantmanky Wrote:Did Brossart end up getting the QB from Twenhofel last year? I know he had plans of going to Brossart.

It does not appear that Norton is playing football at Brossart. Basketball and Baseball just like his borther.
Is this Norton good?
betsylaynealum Wrote:Is this Norton good?

Next coming of Joe Montanna:igiveup:
Is he still going to school there?
Norton was very good for an 8th grader. very well poised in the pocket. Was a pleasure to watch at the middle school talent. Too bad he is not playing football in High School. Lots of talent in this kid.
plantmanky Wrote:Norton was very good for an 8th grader. very well poised in the pocket. Was a pleasure to watch at the middle school talent. Too bad he is not playing football in High School. Lots of talent in this kid.

This kid has D1 potential for Baseball. It makes sense to not get his brains beat in on a football team that is a long way off from competing.
This must be devastating to the program
betsylaynealum Wrote:This must be devastating to the program

No, the program really didn't expect him to play football when he came. Like I said, the football program knows what they are up against. Howeer, the school realizes that in order to get prospective students to come to Brossart versus Campbell County and Newport Catholic, they have to offer all sports. However, the double edge to the sword is that it will take them so long to get the program running, they may never get the prospects.
Pages: 1 2