Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: A little insight from some of you guys,please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, here's the deal. I've decided to undertake a project I have been wanting to do for a few years now. I am going to write a book on my own, around 180-200 pages. I plan on spending upwards of a year on the project. After some preliminary research, and topics I would be most interested in researching more, I have narrowed it down to 5 topics. I'm asking for some of you guys to give me your opinion on which book you would be most interested in reading. Yes, I will forewarn you, all 5 ideas are baseball related, but those that aren't into baseball as much as other sports, you can still let me know your opinion on what you think would be the most interesting. I am sure some of these topics have been covered in several different books, magazines, etc, but I want to try it myself. It's something I've always wanted to do. Hopefully it won't come out a complete disaster and waste of ALOT of time.

Here are the 5 ideas:

1. "Complete Game: An extra-inning debate on the game's 10 most dominating pitchers"

2. "Fielder's Choice: A position-by-position argument of baseball's greatest playmakers"

3. "Strikeout: The hits and misses of baseball's most notorious blackballs"

4. "Sacrifice Fly: The story of baseball's most unheralded heroes"

5. "The Greatest House Ever Built: A History of the greatest games ever played at Yankee Stadium"

This is something I've been pondering for a few years and finally decided to take a shot at it. Thanks to those who take the time to give me some insight.

Ring'EmUp
Number four for me.
This is a great idea Ring Em' Up not much of a baseball fan but I love reading up on the history of it in the United States. I would have to say 4 or 5 for me. Plus I think with the recently dismanteling of Yankee Stadium it would draw alot of readers.
Ring'Em Up Wrote:Ok, here's the deal. I've decided to undertake a project I have been wanting to do for a few years now. I am going to write a book on my own, around 180-200 pages. I plan on spending upwards of a year on the project. After some preliminary research, and topics I would be most interested in researching more, I have narrowed it down to 5 topics. I'm asking for some of you guys to give me your opinion on which book you would be most interested in reading. Yes, I will forewarn you, all 5 ideas are baseball related, but those that aren't into baseball as much as other sports, you can still let me know your opinion on what you think would be the most interesting. I am sure some of these topics have been covered in several different books, magazines, etc, but I want to try it myself. It's something I've always wanted to do. Hopefully it won't come out a complete disaster and waste of ALOT of time.

Here are the 5 ideas:

1. "Complete Game: An extra-inning debate on the game's 10 most dominating pitchers"

2. "Fielder's Choice: A position-by-position argument of baseball's greatest playmakers"

5. "The Greatest House Ever Built: A History of the greatest games ever played at Yankee Stadium"

This is something I've been pondering for a few years and finally decided to take a shot at it. Thanks to those who take the time to give me some insight.

Ring'EmUp

My personal interest would be #4. There is always great support for the underdog. From a marketing standpoint, it may be difficult to get it published due to the widespread support for "pop appeal", meaning it is a must read for the average baseball fan.

I like #3, and think it may have the most merit. If this is a book about the seedy characters, this is a winner. Our society loves the bad boys, and we are always clamoring for the dirt. This would have marketing value, as well as immediate appeal due to the recent dirt regarding Steroids. This book could be very intriguing and be a value to the reader.

#1 & #2 has many books all ready in publication. I'd be prepared to answer "what makes this book different than all those that have preceded it". If you can give the reader something different, then you may be on to something.

Finally, there is probably not many books on the Yankees that I have yet to pick-up. That is not meant to be a bad thing, but a positive. The Yankees is a story that transcends baseball. The Yankees are a "Subject" that people just can't seem to get enough of. What you need to be careful of is retelling the same stories that have already been in print. If you can take the same subjects and give them a different nuance, you have a sure fire "can't miss". Any book about the Yankees seems to sell (even those that are rehash). What you want to strive for is a review that says this book has added to the story of the Dynasty we know as the Yankees. If you can give something that has been written about before, a new spin, that will get recognized by the critics who will be reviewing the book. If they give it a good review due to the ability to learn something new, then you have a real opportunity to make this book a hit.

Good luck, and I am excited to see how this progresses.
#4 would be my choice.
#5.
Come on, I need some more votes for #5. That's where my heart really wants me to go. But #4 is my 2nd choice. Actually, after looking at the list, I think I sub-consciously listed them in reverse order of my preference?

Thanks guys for taking the time so far. Appreciate it.
great idea.
#4.
Ring'Em Up Wrote:Ok, here's the deal. I've decided to undertake a project I have been wanting to do for a few years now. I am going to write a book on my own, around 180-200 pages. I plan on spending upwards of a year on the project. After some preliminary research, and topics I would be most interested in researching more, I have narrowed it down to 5 topics. I'm asking for some of you guys to give me your opinion on which book you would be most interested in reading. Yes, I will forewarn you, all 5 ideas are baseball related, but those that aren't into baseball as much as other sports, you can still let me know your opinion on what you think would be the most interesting. I am sure some of these topics have been covered in several different books, magazines, etc, but I want to try it myself. It's something I've always wanted to do. Hopefully it won't come out a complete disaster and waste of ALOT of time.

Here are the 5 ideas:

Ring'EmUp

What about the following:

6. "Blown Call: The History of Baseball's Worst Umpires"

:eyeroll: :eyeroll: :eyeroll:

Just kidding, whatever you choose will be a best seller. I want the first autographed copy.
I like No. 4. But if your heart is with No. 5 then I would go with it. The Yankees even though not my favorite team (GO SOX!!) have die hard fans all over the nation and Yankee Stadium has alot of public appeal.
Ring'Em Up Wrote:Come on, I need some more votes for #5. That's where my heart really wants me to go. But #4 is my 2nd choice. Actually, after looking at the list, I think I sub-consciously listed them in reverse order of my preference?

Thanks guys for taking the time so far. Appreciate it.
I would say #4. The Yankees already have a lot of books written about them (not sure of this topic) but if it is where your heart is, then might as well write it and enjoy it the most. Can always come back with book #2 if you feel the need.
#4 WITHOUT A DOUBT! Give thiose credit..kind of Like Craig Biggio and such players who never got that spotlight but were just winners and who would do whatever it took to JUST WIN BASEBALL GAMES! LOVE THE NAME ALSO....!
Appreciate all you guys giving me your thoughts and ideas. I have been getting more into #4 as well since I been doing some research into a few of the guys I could spotlight.
Thanks.