Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Class "AAAAA" 2009
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What does it look like this year.
Highlands, Letcher County Central, Bowling Green, Whitley Co, and Johnson Central will be competitve, but I think Highlands will win again due to lack of competition.
cougarpride08 Wrote:Highlands, Letcher County Central, Bowling Green, Whitley Co, and Johnson Central will be competitve, but I think Highlands will win again due to lack of competition.

If JC did not lose much from last year, then they should be a good team, but look for Highlands to reload and win it all agian this year.
Why should we even play a game if highlands already has the trophy locked up???
cougarpride08 Wrote:Highlands, Letcher County Central, Bowling Green, Whitley Co, and Johnson Central will be competitve, but I think Highlands will win again due to lack of competition.

I don't think Letcher and Whitley will be too much this year..
Highlands.
I think Highlands is the favorite to win it again next year.
Old School Wrote:I think Highlands is the favorite to win it again next year.

Agreed.
Patriot Wrote:Why should we even play a game if highlands already has the trophy locked up???

Highlands will be the preseason number 1, why are you getting made because people on here are picking them to win it agian. The post was started to discuse the expectations in AAAAA, what do you want, people to pick your team to win it all just to make you happy?
I see Highlands back in the state final again this year. However, I think Johnson Central and Whitely won't make it easy for them. It will be interesting to see what Cov. Cath. does with their new coach and how much they change from last year. Courious to know what will be coming out of the West.
Have to say Highlands.
Look for some good things coming out of Class 5A, District 5 in 2009... Highlands will be great, but Dixie Heights is returning a lot of experience and some good talent this year, and I am hearing that things are looking up for Covington Catholic under the new coaching regime.

I agree that Johnson Central should be very tough this year. The big question marks in 5A are out west.
jbwill2 Wrote:Look for some good things coming out of Class 5A, District 5 in 2009... Highlands will be great, but Dixie Heights is returning a lot of experience and some good talent this year, and I am hearing that things are looking up for Covington Catholic under the new coaching regime.

I agree that Johnson Central should be very tough this year. The big question marks in 5A are out west.

You are soo right about Dixie. They do return alot.
JC will continue to be strong. I don't know if they will have the team they had in the past couple of years but Coach Matney has developed a powerhouse that can compete with anyone in the state year in and year out.
jbwill2 Wrote:Look for some good things coming out of Class 5A, District 5 in 2009... Highlands will be great, but Dixie Heights is returning a lot of experience and some good talent this year, and I am hearing that things are looking up for Covington Catholic under the new coaching regime.

I keep hearing how Highlands is going to have to watch out for Dixie because they are going to be so good. I disagree with this. They looked bad last year and do not see how they are going to improve that much this year. I saw alot of out-of shape players last year, no speed, no running back, nothing special at QB or WR. I know Charlie22 will come on here and make them out to be world beaters, but I see this as a easy game on Highlands schedule.
sstack Wrote:I keep hearing how Highlands is going to have to watch out for Dixie because they are going to be so good. I disagree with this. They looked bad last year and do not see how they are going to improve that much this year. I saw alot of out-of shape players last year, no speed, no running back, nothing special at QB or WR. I know Charlie22 will come on here and make them out to be world beaters, but I see this as a easy game on Highlands schedule.

sorry I meant Tradition would make them world beaters, but I see he is already doing that.
sstack Wrote:Highlands will be the preseason number 1, why are you getting made because people on here are picking them to win it agian. The post was started to discuse the expectations in AAAAA, what do you want, people to pick your team to win it all just to make you happy?

Seems to me that you are the one getting mad. Maybe because I didn't pick your team! My expectation for 5A is for Harlan County to win it, like I have said on here many times what kind of fan doesn't pick their team to win. That is my expectation. What's the point of starting a post for every other one to say highlands thats not really a discussion on expectations now is it?
sstack Wrote:I keep hearing how Highlands is going to have to watch out for Dixie because they are going to be so good. I disagree with this. They looked bad last year and do not see how they are going to improve that much this year. I saw alot of out-of shape players last year, no speed, no running back, nothing special at QB or WR. I know Charlie22 will come on here and make them out to be world beaters, but I see this as a easy game on Highlands schedule.

Actually Dixie was young last year. They will have alot of experienced players this year. Dixie was loaded with Jr. and Soph. last year that gained alot of experience.
Highlands.
tradition Wrote:Actually Dixie was young last year. They will have alot of experienced players this year. Dixie was loaded with Jr. and Soph. last year that gained alot of experience.

Hope the did alot of dieting since last year and put muscle on instead of fat.
Highlands has to be my pick.
Highlands
I did not mean to give the impression that Dixie would likely beat Highlands... I do think that they will have a strong chance at finishing number-two in the district (ahead of CovCath), and that the district as a whole could do very well in the playoffs (i.e. go 3-1 in the first round).
what does christian county have coming back or hoptown or bowling green?
cuppett777 Wrote:what does christian county have coming back or hoptown or bowling green?

I would also like to know that. What does the West bring to the table this year?
Highlands plain and simple.

I'm basing my opinion on what I've observed of the Dixie frosh when they've matched up against Highlands for the past 3 years (which will be the classes on this year's team). When the to be seniors were frosh, had not Dixie fumbled the ball into Highlands endzone for a recovered touchback, Dixie very well could have won the game. This year's Dixie frosh flat out laid the wood to Highlands frosh (it was one of the ugliest Highlands frosh losses that I've ever seen). There is a ton of talent on Dixie's team this year. What the Dixie coaches do or fail to do with it is the unknown.

As Henry pointed out, Dixie was very young last year. Younger than Highlands as I recall.

You may be right, it may be an easy game, but don't be surprised if it isn't. But there should be a lot and I mean a whole lot of talent on the team. Much more so than on CovCath's team.
Patriot Wrote:Seems to me that you are the one getting mad. Maybe because I didn't pick your team! My expectation for 5A is for Harlan County to win it, like I have said on here many times what kind of fan doesn't pick their team to win. That is my expectation. What's the point of starting a post for every other one to say highlands thats not really a discussion on expectations now is it?

To be fair to sstack, you are the won that made the sarcastic comment about why even play the game if Highlands already has it locked up. I interpreted your comment as being upset that so many people predicted Highlands to win it again. And why shouldn't they make that prediction? Highlands went on the road to JC and Whitley County and beat two very good teams, with a lot of young kids starting for Highlands. Generally it's the younger kids that struggle with tough games on the road. It didn't seem to phase them one bit. This year, with a lot of starters returning on both sides of the ball, Highlands has to be in the cat bird seat for a repeat. Makes sense for Highlands to be predicted to repeat.

While it may seem wrong to you for any fan not to predict that their school is going to win state, a lot of people choose to make their predictions based on what they think will happen, as opposed to what they want to happen. But there is nothing wrong with going the method you have chosen. To each their own.
charlie22 Wrote:I'm basing my opinion on what I've observed of the Dixie frosh when they've matched up against Highlands for the past 3 years (which will be the classes on this year's team). When the to be seniors were frosh, had not Dixie fumbled the ball into Highlands endzone for a recovered touchback, Dixie very well could have won the game. This year's Dixie frosh flat out laid the wood to Highlands frosh (it was one of the ugliest Highlands frosh losses that I've ever seen). There is a ton of talent on Dixie's team this year. What the Dixie coaches do or fail to do with it is the unknown.

As Henry pointed out, Dixie was very young last year. Younger than Highlands as I recall.

You may be right, it may be an easy game, but don't be surprised if it isn't. But there should be a lot and I mean a whole lot of talent on the team. Much more so than on CovCath's team.

I have to agree with you on COVCATH. I was not aware of what you said about the frosh teams, but can't always go by that. I think some guys are late bloomers,and who is working harder in the wt room. We also had guys join the team as sophmores who never played organized football before and became starters. Let's just hope HHS puts it to every team they play this year. With UK out of the BB tourney this year, I am more excited for the season to start. Thanks for the info you gave.
charlie22 Wrote:To be fair to sstack, you are the won that made the sarcastic comment about why even play the game if Highlands already has it locked up. I interpreted your comment as being upset that so many people predicted Highlands to win it again. And why shouldn't they make that prediction? Highlands went on the road to JC and Whitley County and beat two very good teams, with a lot of young kids starting for Highlands. Generally it's the younger kids that struggle with tough games on the road. It didn't seem to phase them one bit. This year, with a lot of starters returning on both sides of the ball, Highlands has to be in the cat bird seat for a repeat. Makes sense for Highlands to be predicted to repeat.

While it may seem wrong to you for any fan not to predict that their school is going to win state, a lot of people choose to make their predictions based on what they think will happen, as opposed to what they want to happen. But there is nothing wrong with going the method you have chosen. To each their own.

Good post!

With that out of the way seems like to me we could start at covington and split the state right down the middle and east of that line is where it seems that the predictions are. Is there a lack of 5A teams out west or just a lack of members on here?
Pages: 1 2