Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: ANOTHER Brilliant KHSAA move.....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From the folks who have brought you the 6 class system, illogical playoff pairings changing every year, head scratching district alignments, and numerous unjust rulings in cases comes the newest mandate:

NO 7 on 7 Passing Tournaments!

http://www.amnews.com/public_html/?modul...ormat=html

Apparently the KHSAA doesn't want kids to ahve the chance for additional college exposure and the chance for competition in the Spring. Apparently the KHSAA didn't see any way to make money off this so they have decided just to kill it off.

:ChairHit:
Wow, this is absolutely garbage. Every other state does it, why do we have to be any different?
Such things as this is why Kentucky will continue to be behind such states as Ohio is level of talent. Thank you KHSAA for ruining high school sports.
Such a huge disapointmant. 7 on 7 tournaments not only help high school athletes sharpen their skills in a competition but it also draws more athletes to play in these sports.
I really hate to hear this.

The kids really enjoyed playing in these tournaments, it also give the players chances to get recognized by colleges.

Terrible move by the KHSAA.
This is the dumbest thing i ve heard in a while, a lot of coaches not going to be happy with thiis!
i know, right? Wrote:This is the dumbest thing i ve heard in a while, a lot of coaches not going to be happy with thiis!

Actually the idea of eliminating the July 7s (as well as going to 6 classes) originated from the football coaches advisory committee. Having said that, there are a lot of football coaches that are upset with the change (and upset with their advisory committee for asking the KHSAA make the change). The football advisory coaching committee felt that kids who played both football and basketball were being pulled in two directions at a time they were supposed to be on summer vacation. The football coaches committee had met with the basketball coaches committee and those two groups came up with this plan. No inter-school 7s during June and basketball is not supposed to have open gym practices (or what ever they used to do) in July.

I'm not in support of the change; just wanted to clarify that this change was not originated by the KHSAA. They just followed the recommendation of the football coaches advisory committee and the basketball coaches advisory committee. The KHSAA doesn't need to be criticized for those dumb things its not really responsible for, as it does plenty of dumb things that it is truly responsible for. This just isn't one of them.

And for the record and clarification, the change only affects inter school 7s during the month of June. You can still have intra squad 7s during June and you can have inter school 7s during July.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Such things as this is why Kentucky will continue to be behind such states as Ohio is level of talent. Thank you KHSAA for ruining high school sports.

Another for the record, I believe Ky allows contact practice to begin before Ohio does and Ky permits spring football and Ohio doesn't; so in at least some areas, Ky has more favorable football related rules than Ohio does.
What another great move on the part of the KHSAA. College coaches now can go watch other players in other parts of the US over the spring and summer.
All that means if you run 6 on 6 tournament. Smile
I guess if players want to play football we have to go to the park and play with each other I guess with no coaches telling us what to run man what is wrong with the khssa.
You can still have 7 on 7. In June it has to be within your own team. In July you can play against other schools.
What is wrong is that so many posters criticizing the KHSAA don't have a clue what they are talking about. Yes the KHSAA voted to eliminate inter team 7s in June. But they did so only upon the recommendation of the Football Coaches Advisory Committee. In other words, the committee elected by the Ky head football coaches, asked the KHSAA to make the change. The KHSAA gets criticized routinely by coaches and schools for not listening to them. When the KHSAA does listen to the coaches in this instance, they again get criticized.

Same with the 6 classes. The football coaches asked for a change to either 5 or 6 classes. They didn't care strongly which of the two was adopted (although more probably preferred 5 classes admittedly). The reason for the change was to eliminate the great size disparity between the largest and smallest schools in the 1A and 6A classes. The KHSAA looked at 5 classes, but it didn't make much improvement to the disparity problem, so they went with 6 classes, which did make better improvement. Again, it was the football coaches advisory committee that asked the KHSAA to increase the number of classes. Knowing the KHSAA well, I can assure everyone that increasing the number of classes with the associated amount of realignment work it was going to create for the KHSAA administrators was not something the KHSAA did or dreamed up on its own. It was the iniative of the football coaches.

If you have a beef with either of those two changes, take it up with the football coaches.
I agree with that statement.
Redneck Wrote:You can still have 7 on 7. In June it has to be within your own team. In July you can play against other schools.

The problem with this is intra-squad 7 on 7 isn't as competitive as playing other teams. Also, you can have 7 on 7 during July but practice starts in July. This will cause some time problems. Can you get your 7 on 7 done in time for regular season practice?
TongueirateSho
Lets see, kids now days have to think about which coach they are going to make mad this summer. Kid loves to play baseball, really likes football and basketball too. In the past, all 3 sports were running in high gear in June. What to do, what to do. Dont kid yourself into thinking that high school football and basketball coaches dont hold it against kids if they choose the other of what they coach when they make their choices either. Perhaps, just maybe, since June is supposed to be considered baseball season, somebody might be looking out for kids that like to play summer baseball as well as play other high school sports. Naw, baseball was probably not even thought about, but I guess one can pretend to think that it was considered.

One of the reasons why you dont have multiple sport athletes anymore is because every sport has become a 12 month sport. Perhaps this a first for the KHSAA. Somebody might for once be looking out for the best interests of some kids.

You can talk about Kentucky kids falling behind kids from other states all you want. What about the advancement this helps in kids that compete wirth surrounding states for baseball scholarships? It is BASEBALL that offers kids the best opportunity to get a college education paid for as well as a chance to play at the professional level. Not football or basketball.

Then again it may help play a very small factor into helping preserve the moral fiber of just being a family, of just allowing some kids the opportunity to experience a family vacation and a little time together..

Kudos to the KHSAA for once.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Lets see, kids now days have to think about which coach they are going to make mad this summer. Kid loves to play baseball, really likes football and basketball too. In the past, all 3 sports were running in high gear in June. What to do, what to do. Dont kid yourself into thinking that high school football and basketball coaches dont hold it against kids if they choose the other of what they coach when they make their choices either. Perhaps, just maybe, since June is supposed to be considered baseball season, somebody might be looking out for kids that like to play summer baseball as well as play other high school sports. Naw, baseball was probably not even thought about, but I guess one can pretend to think that it was considered.

One of the reasons why you dont have multiple sport athletes anymore is because every sport has become a 12 month sport. Perhaps this a first for the KHSAA. Somebody might for once be looking out for the best interests of some kids.

You can talk about Kentucky kids falling behind kids from other states all you want. What about the advancement this helps in kids that compete wirth surrounding states for baseball scholarships? It is BASEBALL that offers kids the best opportunity to get a college education paid for as well as a chance to play at the professional level. Not football or basketball.

Then again it may help play a very small factor into helping preserve the moral fiber of just being a family, of just allowing some kids the opportunity to experience a family vacation and a little time together..

Excellent post.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Lets see, kids now days have to think about which coach they are going to make mad this summer. Kid loves to play baseball, really likes football and basketball too. In the past, all 3 sports were running in high gear in June. What to do, what to do. Dont kid yourself into thinking that high school football and basketball coaches dont hold it against kids if they choose the other of what they coach when they make their choices either. Perhaps, just maybe, since June is supposed to be considered baseball season, somebody might be looking out for kids that like to play summer baseball as well as play other high school sports. Naw, baseball was probably not even thought about, but I guess one can pretend to think that it was considered.

A lot of what you typed is true; however there are more and more kids that truly WANT to only play one sport. Just because parents enjoyed playing multiple sports when we were younger, we assume that all of our kids want to do the same, which is simply not true. For those kids that want to just play football and would greatly benefit from the June interschool competion, aren't they being harmed by this change? I think so.

I'd be interested in knowing the stats behind your statement that baseball provides the best chance to get a college education paid for. Seems that every college that I know of offers more football scholarships than baseball scholarships. Wouldn't common sense support that? How many football players are on a team vs baseball players on a team? If my thinking is errant, I'd genuinely appreciate seeing the numbers supporting your statement.

You may be right about some coaches holding it against a kid if he plays some other sport in June or even July. I don't see that happening at all at the school that I follow. I've known a baseball player to miss all of June and July (and even some August practices) to play select baseball and come back and immediately be in a starting position on the football team; I've seen a basketball player miss two weeks of football practice in August to participate in AAU basketball tournys in Nevada and Florida, and come back to a starting position on the football team. I've seen the football coach encouraging his starting running back to miss spring football to play on the high school baseball team.

I'm sure that it happens that a coach holds it against a kid for wanting to play other sports in the summer, but again, isn't that an issue for the local school board to address rather than the KHSAA? I think so.

And I do agree with you wholeheartedly that kids should get some time to go on family vacations and the like. If a coach holds such against a kid, then the coach should be let go in my opinion. I personally think that some of the problems we see in high school athletics are caused by coaches that forget that high school athletics is not about them and their win loss records but rather is about the kids. Where we differ is that I don't necessarily agree that this change benefits all kids; just those kids that may want to play multiple sports. I feel it hurts those kids that truly want to specialize in a sport. Having only played one sport in high school myself, I'd hate to see those one sport kids being penalized just because some adults (ie, the coaches) are so self focused to hold it against a kid that wants to play multiple sports. To me it seems we are masking the real problem as opposed to addressing it. Pollyannish on my part, perhaps. But it's how I feel.
We're very close to getting the first opportunity for a "true family vacation" since our kids were 11 & 12! They are now 18 & 19... We always seemed to a "split squad" for about a (7) year span what with Cheer/Volleyball/Football/Softball/Baseball!
IISnakE Wrote:We're very close to getting the first opportunity for a "true family vacation" since our kids were 11 & 12! They are now 18 & 19... We always seemed to a "split squad" for about a (7) year span what with Cheer/Volleyball/Football/Softball/Baseball!

Know what you mean snake. Both of mine decided not to play summer college ball to come home maybe for one last summer all together before they start grad school for another 4 years. Not had a summer all togther since they were preteens, unless you call a baseball tournament somewhere on the seaboard or somewhere down south a vacation. Now they are 23 and 21. It's been a long time in coming.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Know what you mean snake. Both of mine decided not to play summer college ball to come home maybe for one last summer all together before they start grad school for another 4 years. Not had a summer all togther since they were preteens, unless you call a baseball tournament somewhere on the seaboard or somewhere down south a vacation. Now they are 23 and 21. It's been a long time in coming.

I know exactly what you are talking about