Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Holmes 67 - Central 63 (2OT - State Championship Game)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Great job by both teams. Incredible effort by both
Holmes is the 2008 Boys’ Sweet Sixteen champion.

The Bulldogs had to work for their first state title, going two overtimes to outlast a valiant Central team that wasn’t given much of a chance in this title game.

Holmes had been state runner-up three times (2008, 1990 and 1978), but it finally got the elusive championship.

Brandon Housley’s two free throws put Holmes ahead 62-61 in the second OT. After Central’s Ridge Wilson missed a pair of three throws, Jeremiah Johnson hit a layup to make it 66-61. Ricardo Johnson then came up with a steal, threw an outlet pass to his brother Jeremiah, who hit a layup with to all but seal it.

Elijah Pittman led the winners with 14 points and 8 rebounds. Jeremiah Johnson and Dominique Johnson had 13 apiece.

Central was led by Wilson’s 18 points and 7 rebounds. The Yellowjackets finished the season 19-14 after an improbable post-season run.
Congrats Holmes!

But, also have to give Congrats to Central. They played there hearts out and I was very impressed with them.
Congrats, to both teams!!
Season is over. We can all go to sleep now!! TongueirateSho TongueirateSho TongueirateSho TongueirateSho :Wave:
Kudos to both teams on getting to this point and leaving it all on the floor tonight.

The talent of Holmes simply outshined the relentless effort of Central in the second half. Central played an extraordinary game and made an incredible run to get to this point. Holmes gave Central so many chances to win the game.

This was the best championship game that I've watched.

Congrats Bulldogs on bringing home the state title!
So this is Holmes first High School State Title. Correct???
MisterPerfect Wrote:So this is Holmes first High School State Title. Correct???
Yes.
TheRealVille Wrote:Yes.

OK, Thank You. And most of Holmes team will be returning next season. So they have another shot at it next season as well. IMO.
Congratulations Holmes. It was a terrific game until the very end. I would have loved for Central to take away the title as I feel they were definitely the underdogs but Holmes' talent brought them through. Best of luck to these boys in whatever they may do after graduation and Holmes could very easily be back next year.
MisterPerfect Wrote:OK, Thank You. And most of Holmes team will be returning next season. So they have another shot at it next season as well. IMO.

They lose Riley, the starting PG, and we all know that without a PG, it is tough to win a title.
Stardust Wrote:They lose Riley, the starting PG, and we all know that without a PG, it is tough to win a title.

Exactly. Who will step up for the Bulldogs next year to lead the offense?
Stardust Wrote:They lose Riley, the starting PG, and we all know that without a PG, it is tough to win a title.

Ain't that the truth.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Exactly. Who will step up for the Bulldogs next year to lead the offense?

Knowing those kids very well from coaching against them in AAU ball, I see Dominci Johnson possibly moving to the point. It's not a natural fit, and will be a tough adjustment, but if he can make it work, this team will be huge. This would move Keevon (sic) to the three of four, and Holmes may not miss a beat.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Exactly. Who will step up for the Bulldogs next year to lead the offense?

Ricardo Johnson? Jeremiah Johnson? Those two stick out in my mind but there are SEVERAL other underclassmen, particularly those who will be their junior class next season, that could improve in the offseason and step up for their team...
Stardust Wrote:Knowing those kids very well from coaching against them in AAU ball, I see Dominci Johnson possibly moving to the point. It's not a natural fit, and will be a tough adjustment, but if he can make it work, this team will be huge. This would move Keevon (sic) to the three of four, and Holmes may not miss a beat.

Dominique is a senior, the other Johnson boys will remain on the team.
WOW!!!!! Simply WOW!!!!!! That's the only word to describe this game. I guess that's why it's called the "Greatest Show in Hoops". Congrats to both of these fine teams...I think all these boys are winners.
wow, the Pitman kid isn't a senior. He is great!!
what an amazing game by both teams very gutsy. This field of 16 really displayed the best of the state and showed how close each team was at the end of the season. No team that made it to the state tournament this season has anything to hang their heads about. IMO any one of the 16 could have won it. Congrats to Holmes on winning it.

Congrats to the boys from Central in making it they were def. the underdogs in each game they played.

Now we must wait till Nov. and I cant wait hopefully next season can live up to this one.
NYY10 Wrote:wow, the Pitman kid isn't a senior. He is great!!

Neither is the Johnson brothers.
NYY10 Wrote:wow, the Pitman kid isn't a senior. He is great!!

Agreed, the kid is going to be very special come next season. I look forward to big things from him and the returning Johnsons.
MisterPerfect Wrote:Neither is the Johnson brothers.

Haha, now here is a man who knows what he is talking about.
thetribe Wrote:Haha, now here is a man who knows what he is talking about.

WOW, Holmes will be very dangerous next season, only losing 1 player!!
MisterPerfect Wrote:Ain't that the truth.

hahahaha. I love it.
NYY10 Wrote:WOW, Holmes will be very dangerous next season, only losing 1 player!!

There actually losing James Rice, Dominique Johnson, Brandon Housley, and Jamel Riley.
NYY10 Wrote:WOW, Holmes will be very dangerous next season, only losing 1 player!!

They actually graduate 4, including two fantastic guards.
MisterPerfect Wrote:There actually losing James Rice, Dominique Johnson, Brandon Housley, and Jamel Riley.

We are having the exact same thought process tonight. You are just typing yours a minute faster, haha.
thetribe Wrote:We are having the exact same thought process tonight. You are just typing yours a minute faster, haha.

HaHa, I'm quick at it.
Hella game. Congrats Holmes. Thanks for making it a 2nd OT Central hahahah!!!
it was a great finish..... Watched it on TV at Applebees.....haha.... Glad that Holmes won it.... I hated it for #31( don't know his name couldn't hear the game) that missed the layup with 3 seconds left in ot.... If they had lost he would have had a rough time...

Congrats Holmes on the Championship...
Pages: 1 2