Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Scott's Murray juggles 2 sports with aplomb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Scott's Murray juggles 2 sports with aplomb
37th District baseball

http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...903210396/

Senior EJ Murray and five other Scott players got a late start to baseball practice because of the successes of the Eagles' basketball team, which extended its tournament run to the 10th Region semifinals.

Scott baseball practice began Feb. 15, but basketball players didn't begin reporting to coach Troy Roberts until March 11, less than two weeks before the opener.

"The baseball team is like another second family after basketball," Murray said. "But the mentality is completely different. In basketball, everything happens quick. In baseball, you have a lot of time to think about what's next. Once I get back in the swing of things and slow back down, I'll be OK."

Murray, who finished as the basketball team's leading scorer, and senior Tyler Osborne went from Scott varsity hoops to the varsity baseball team. Four junior varsity basketball players populate the Scott junior varsity and freshman baseball teams.

"The key is getting in the fundamentals. The basketball players are in shape, but they're behind baseball-wise, and there's guys at different levels," Roberts said. "EJ's our starting shortstop and he pitches, so we can't hit him enough ground balls. But he's in his third year with us, and baseball's his sport.

"Tyler, on the other hand, is in his first varsity year at catcher so we need to spend more time with him. We're trying to drill him in a lot of situational baseball so he's ready for everything at the plate."

Roberts said it's not uncommon to have a handful of players each year who make the transition from Scott basketball to Scott baseball.

"Veterans like Taylor Smith and guys like that who've been here since we started back in February, they're just about ready," Roberts said. "So we try to focus our coaching on who needs it the most right now so we're all ready."

Smith is Scott's leading returning power hitter. He batted .333, with four homers and 29 RBI last season. Murray hit .387 with a home run and 24 RBI. Both players are expected to pitch, as well.

When Murray rejoined the baseball team, he had one trip to a batting cage and very little throwing over the last four months.

"I always seem to catch up, but it's a process," said Murray, who stepped up the pace of his pitching side work the last few days while adding to his reps at the plate earlier in the week.

Murray has been jumping into the baseball season right after basketball since elementary school, and he's done it at Scott since he was a freshman.

He said the change in seasons offers a new beginning.

"I didn't like the way I ended basketball (he was held scoreless in his final game), so baseball gives me a fresh start," he said.

"Baseball gives me another chance to end the season right."