Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bobby Spears resigns
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Its official! Bobby Spears has stepped down as the girls basektball coach at East Ridge. I would love to hear Bengal cats comments on this one. The parents were never happy with this hire. Good luck Bobby on your next chapter in life.
Good luck Bobby
Big Wiggles 1331 Wrote:Good luck Bobby

Could he be going to Belfry ????????????????????????
i thought belfry already has a new coach?
Good luck where ever you might end up.
good luck with whatever you do!
More interested in who will fill this position, not the fact that he is leaving.
Good Luck Coach Spears!
Good luck Coach Spears and congrats on a great career! You have touched the lives of so many young ladies over the span of your career. You are a true competitor and a gentleman and you will be missed!
Bobby Spears was given two options he could step down or he would be fired.
Dave Conley or Denise Campbell or Amanda Collins
Collins would be the best choice.

i say Campbell will get it
Here's how it works in Pike County -- the next coach will be a political friend of the board member, the superintendent or the principal. Just like what happened to him at SV, Spears was in the way of someone's son or daughter who needed a job. He didn't live in that district and had to go. It will be interesting to see which of the powers-that-be had a favor to pay someone. Spears will be OK. He has a good retirement check, a full-time job and lots of money. He was coaching because he loved helping students achieve their potential, not for the money. He is still the winningest coach in the history of the 15th Region, won more districts than anyone in the history of Pike County, and a member of the Hall of Fame at SVHS. The girls at East Ridge had the best coach for two years, so let's hope the next coach isn't just some political hack who needed a payday, but has no knowledge and passion for basketball. But, knowing Pike County politics, I fear the worst.
I am hoping that Campbell will be back. I don't see Dave being offered a coaching job, it's just so random. Collins didn't impress me as a JV coach, I can't see her taking the Varsity. She is great working with the girls but not being in charge. Campbell was at some East Ridge games this season but I don't think that I would use that as an indicator. This program has had talent for years and have never had the opportunity to be under a coach that would build a solid program. I can't even name how many times that the position has changed hands.
thetribe Wrote:I am hoping that Campbell will be back. I don't see Dave being offered a coaching job, it's just so random. Collins didn't impress me as a JV coach, I can't see her taking the Varsity. She is great working with the girls but not being in charge. Campbell was at some East Ridge games this season but I don't think that I would use that as an indicator. This program has had talent for years and have never had the opportunity to be under a coach that would build a solid program. I can't even name how many times that the position has changed hands.

Dave Conley doesn't want the coaching job at East Ridge. He loves coaching his Jr. high team. So let's leave his name out of it. As for Denise Campbell, it's already been proven that ER is not the school for her, then or now. And for Amanda Collins she wants to take a break from coaching for a few years. So these three names at East Ridge are a BIG NO.
Who is it going to be?
Good question.
lets just end all questions surrounding the coaching job at er and do the right thing by putting bobby and jr back on the bench. after all mr. j and mr. jc lied to some of the players there by telling them bobby and jr was going to be there for some time. also to answer one question this will be the sixth different coach at er for the girls. how can you build a program if you keep lying to people and keep changing coaches every time 1or2 dont like the coach that is there. (dave@joey)
thetribe Wrote:I am hoping that Campbell will be back. I don't see Dave being offered a coaching job, it's just so random. Collins didn't impress me as a JV coach, I can't see her taking the Varsity. She is great working with the girls but not being in charge. Campbell was at some East Ridge games this season but I don't think that I would use that as an indicator. This program has had talent for years and have never had the opportunity to be under a coach that would build a solid program. I can't even name how many times that the position has changed hands.

Maybe it would be random if Dave took the job, who knows. As for Collins, she will be a good coach in time. And Denise Campbell hasn't coached in years. I just hope they make the right choice or the new coach won't have enough girls to dress out to play a game of H-O-R-S-E.
The only name that I've heard thrown out is Denise Campbell who didn't stick around long when East Ridge was first opened. Then if I am not mistaken she coached Phelps for a while. She is now teaching at Kimper but she could possibly return. I just really hate all of these changes for the girls program year after year. They have went through so many coaches over the last few years. Stay there and build a program, somebody, please. The girls have been loaded with talent over the years and yet nothing big has happened with the girls program. They deserve a lot more than they have ever received out of the administration and their coaches. Some have walked away days before the season started, others took the position just because of short notice. This season these girls will know how to play together, they lost no one from last season's team. I really hope the best for them, hopefully they get someone in there who really cares about developing the program for them and really knows what they are doing.
basically denise was let go the same way every coach at east ridge has. someone didnt like her so some parents got together went to whoever they have some pull with and made it happen. so what do where do we go from here??
cougar22 Wrote:basically denise was let go the same way every coach at east ridge has. someone didnt like her so some parents got together went to whoever they have some pull with and made it happen. so what do where do we go from here??

Basically it was more than one person that didn't like her coaching because she was let go at Phelps also. I really don't know much about her coaching skills, but two schools in two years pretty much speaks for itself. I really do wish they would leave a coach at ER long enough to build a solid program.
Id like to see Gary Walton get the job. I believe he helped Cambell coach Early in ER history. He is a Jr high HC now a days I think.
I can't see Walton leaving the guidance counselor position at Feds Creek to take the job and I had heard that they were wanting someone that was present at the school for the job. Who knows though.
thetribe Wrote:I can't see Walton leaving the guidance counselor position at Feds Creek to take the job and I had heard that they were wanting someone that was present at the school for the job. Who knows though.

IMO if thats the case I dont see the girls having a good season in 09-10. Honestly who is at ER that would coach the girls team? I know Eric Ratliff won't. Jill and Terry Morgan? Not likely. Dave Spradlin? Already coaches Volleyball and Baseball. Who else does that leave at the school who is a certified coach? Steve Taylor or Donovan Little? Steve Taylor already has too much to do, being the Jr. High Football coach and High School Track coach. And as for Donovan, I've heard rumors of him not being around next year. Although if they are searching for someone in the school to give the job for Donovan would be the best choice IMO.
I didn't say that they were currently even present. I had just heard it mentioned that the coach should be up there involved with the school. They could get a new hire over the summer or anything and make it in plenty enough time for the season to start. Don't take my word for that though, just passing along what I have heard brought up.
Mybad then lol.
Bobby had a great career, will always be remembered for what he did with the Shelby Valley program.
Real Badman Wrote:Id like to see Gary Walton get the job. I believe he helped Cambell coach Early in ER history. He is a Jr high HC now a days I think.

I hope this post was a joke. Gary Walton was the worst coach ER has ever had. Johnny Shortridge helped Gary Walton. Johnny was ten times the coach Gary was.
Bobby is a great coach. The guy has over 400 wins as a coach.
Pages: 1 2