Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Dog owners, need some help...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I came home today and found that my pug's face was swollen. I only worked a half day today, so he was in his crate the whole time.

When I left, he was completely normal, but at some point (maybe when I was getting ready for work and he was out of his crate) I guess he's gotten into something.

It's mostly his nose wrinkle and lips that are swollen, but you can see where one eye is a little swollen too.

Any ideas what could have caused this? I have no idea. There's really nothing out that he could have gotten into. It might be something he got into when he was outside, but again, I didn't see anything suspicious then.

I'm going to go get him some benadryl. I've heard that it's safe for dogs, so I'm going to get him some baby benadryl and give .5 ml for every pound.

I'm guessing that a cool bath might help him too.
I don't know. But I hope you find out what the problem is. Hope your dog feels better.
Just talked to a friend who is a Vet assistant. Her initial feeling is a bug bite. She didn not know of anything that would be considered "common" for a Pug. She suggested liquid Benedryl (1/2 teaspoon for < 20lbs, full teaspoon >20lbs)

She didn't seem to be too concerned and felt the Benedyl should clear it up by morning. If not, she suggested to call the vet. Hope that helps.
Went and got some Benadryl...they only had Children's Benadryl in liquid form. I gave him about a teaspoon since he is right around 20 pounds. He's currently getting a bath in case there's anything he's allergic to on his coat.
CE - I received another message from my friend of what to look for. If you have any house plants that the little guy got into, it could have caused an allergic reaction as well.

Good luck
Aww, I have no idea what if could be but I'll pray for him/her. I hope he/she feels better soon.
Stardust Wrote:CE - I received another message from my friend of what to look for. If you have any house plants that the little guy got into, it could have caused an allergic reaction as well.

Good luck

Well, we gave him the Benadryl, it was children's benadryl (that's all they had) so it may not have been strong enough.

After he got it down, the swelling still hasn't gone down any. We gave him a cool bath, but if anything, it looks like his face (especially around his eyes) are more swollen.

The only house plants we have are bamboo and an orchid. The orchid is in a window seal about 5 feet off the floor, so I know he didn't get into that. The bamboo is on top of a bookshelf, so again, he didn't get into that either. There are some bushes outside, but they are just some standard-issue bushes and have never caused problems before.

I've Google'd a little, and most sites seem to say that a bug bite or spider bite commonly causes this type of reaction, but I have not seen any bugs recently, since we're just coming out of winter.

I'm not sure what to do. He's constantly trying to scratch or rub his head on the carpet. Hopefully, the swelling will have gone down in the morning. If not, I'll be calling the vet and hoping they can set up payment plans.
How's the little guy doing?

I passed on your note to my friend, and she concurred with the bug (spider bite), but did agree that if the swelling is still up to have him checked. Childrens Benadryl should have made an impact.