Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 15th Region Tournament With All 16 Teams In???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What a tournament this could be. Let all teams in. The sweet 16 at the Civic Center. Seed the teams 1 plays 16, 2-15, and so on. Lots of fun and plenty of money. Kids would love it, and I believe the fans also. I am sure there are some problems, but none that could not be resolved.....
Why put teams in the regional tournament that simply have not earned a spot to be in it? That's like the situation in football with a winless team still going to the playoffs.

Unless you earn, you do not deserve to be there IMO.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Why put teams in the regional tournament that simply have not earned a spot to be in it? That's like the situation in football with a winless team still going to the playoffs.

Winning one game hardly earns anything, however winning a regional with all the teams in it does... It is only a thought ...
Terrible idea. Like BA said, there would be several teams that have no business playing in the regional tournament. Teams that can't at least win a first round district game shouldn't be in the regional.

Then, there is the fact that no other region in the state does that. We are already the weird bunch of hillbillies that created the infamous "super-district" and the regional "play-in" games. We don't need to make ourselves look even worse by doing something like this.

Can't we just have 4 districts, 2 from each district go to regional, just like everybody else in the state?
More Cowbell Wrote:Terrible idea. Like BA said, there would be several teams that have no business playing in the regional tournament. Teams that can't at least win a first round district game shouldn't be in the regional.

Then, there is the fact that no other region in the state does that. We are already the weird bunch of hillbillies that created the infamous "super-district" and the regional "play-in" games. We don't need to make ourselves look even worse by doing something like this.

Can't we just have 4 districts, 2 from each district go to regional, just like everybody else in the state?

Two of our Districts have only 3 teams....
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Why put teams in the regional tournament that simply have not earned a spot to be in it? That's like the situation in football with a winless team still going to the playoffs.

I agree 100%.
BlueSky Wrote:Two of our Districts have only 3 teams....

I don't like that either. I am fully in favor of pulling in an extra team (possibly Jenkins), which would give our region 16 teams overall. Then do some reshuffling so that each district has 4 teams.

But if there is no redistricting, I prefer to do things the old way, even if it means the #1 seed in the 59th and 60th districts get a bye into the regional. I would rather see that than a 16-team regional tournament.
That would make the regular season absolutely meaningless. Thats no fun at all.
We all see how entertaining pro and college sports are when the game becomes meaningless... None what so ever.
All teams don't deserve to be there in my opinion...You must win to get there...You shouldn't be given the opportunity to play there unless you have earned it...
Might not be such a good idea, would you want Elisha Justice turning his ankle against a 16 seed, the injury possiblity alone suggests this is a bad idea.
BlueSky Wrote:What a tournament this could be. Let all teams in. The sweet 16 at the Civic Center. Seed the teams 1 plays 16, 2-15, and so on. Lots of fun and plenty of money. Kids would love it, and I believe the fans also. I am sure there are some problems, but none that could not be resolved.....
Would you want to give them all a ribbon or medal for playing it it too? Why not leave it alone so you have something to play hard for all season long.
EKY_Basketball Wrote:Might not be such a good idea, would you want Elisha Justice turning his ankle against a 16 seed, the injury possiblity alone suggests this is a bad idea.

Exactly, we don't need a possible sweet 16 team hurting their chances because their key player went down with an injury against a 1-15 team.
More Cowbell Wrote:I don't like that either. I am fully in favor of pulling in an extra team (possibly Jenkins), which would give our region 16 teams overall. Then do some reshuffling so that each district has 4 teams.

But if there is no redistricting, I prefer to do things the old way, even if it means the #1 seed in the 59th and 60th districts get a bye into the regional. I would rather see that than a 16-team regional tournament.

I agree with ya.... I would rather just give the #1 seed of the 2 3 team districts a bye....Instead of a 16 team tourney.......
I don't believe having all teams in the regional tournament is the solution. But I do believe something needs to be done to level the playing field for all districts. Currently the 57th district has 5 teams and only gets to send 2 to the region next year when Pike Co. has two 3 district teams which each sends 2 to the region. What mathematician came up with that plan? Obviously they were from Pike Co.....they're the only ones who benefit from this.
Wouldn't really matter, Valley would still smoke everyone.
This sounds like a good idea
More Cowbell Wrote:Terrible idea. Like BA said, there would be several teams that have no business playing in the regional tournament. Teams that can't at least win a first round district game shouldn't be in the regional.

how about when paintsville got beat out by moggoffin co. two years ago in the first round. they deserved to be in the regional tournament. i like the idea

I agree with you on this one BCA.

I agree but why does the KHSAA allow districts to vote draw or seed? Look at the girls 53rd district it was a draw tourny?
Maybe it would not work.. But saying 1 win is a big earning your way sounds crazy to me. Maybe the regular season should mean more, and find a way you really do earn your way in.
There will (or at least should) be some movement next season.............should be able to go back to the 4 team districts....................16 teams is not a good idea. Why put a team in the region that didn't win the opportunity to play..........
Lets just have a 25 game season and let all 115 school (or whatever the number is) have a State Tournament.........play all month long in Lexington.
I will say no it may not be the best idea, but still for some to say 1 win makes you tournment worthy just does not help me understand. Two of the best teams in a region can play the first game (and it happens often). One is out. Two of the worst teams play against each other in the district ( and it also happens) and on this one of a nothing win gets to the region. There has to be a better way for the season to mean something..... If not why not...
Benchwarmer Wrote:I agree but why does the KHSAA allow districts to vote draw or seed? Look at the girls 53rd district it was a draw tourny?

I agree with you here. The KHSAA should require all districts to seed. This would give the greatest chance for the best two teams from a given district to advance to the regional, and also gives the regular-season more meaning.