Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Why is it fair?.....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was just thinking to myself and wanted others opinions on this topic....

Why is it fair for a basketball team to outscore their opponents by 50+ points in a game and everyone talks about how amazing they played, but if a football team outscores another team by a wide margin, then everyone berates the coach for running up the score and embarrassing the other team?

I mean, evidently in both situations, the high scoring team is more talented at that particular sport, but if you stop and think about it, both teams usually substitute the 1st string with the 2nd and 3rd at a certain point, but is it fair to berate the football team when it continues to score and praise the basketball team for doing the same.

Before this thread gets unruly, let me just say that I am in no means taking anything away from any team in any sport...it was just a thought!
Because basketball can become a game of spurts, a team can go on 20-0 runs in a game and blow it wide open and it's still not a beatdown. Winning by 50 in basketball is like winning by 20 in football. When you get close to beating a team by 100 in basketball is when you compare it to a football beatdown.
Well in Football you can call the dogs off....
you can put in your scrubs and hand it off up the middle every play

In basketball all you can do is hold the ball, and no one wants to see someone hold the ball for almost a whole quarter
zaga_fan Wrote:Well in Football you can call the dogs off....

In basketball all you can do is hold the ball, and no one wants to see someone hold the ball for almost a whole quarter

Allen Hatcher does
zaga_fan Wrote:Well in Football you can call the dogs off....

probably the most vailid reason
king360 Wrote:Allen Hatcher does

He tried doing that with Valley and his team just couldn't keep the ball in their hands.
I think coaches in football should only criticized if they are running passing plays in the second half and trying trick plays. If they are running the ball, that's about all they can do. I think sometimes people just want to complain about running up the score no matter how it was done.
InstantOffense Wrote:I think coaches in football should only criticized if they are running passing plays in the second half and trying trick plays. If they are running the ball, that's about all they can do. I think sometimes people just want to complain about running up the score no matter how it was done.

That is my opinion, too.

I mean coaches can call off the big dogs in basketball also and put in the 2nd or 3rd string. I have seen basketball teams still run and gun even though they are up by 40, 50, 60 points so it's pretty much the same as passing in football.
PC_You_Know Wrote:He tried doing that with Valley and his team just couldn't keep the ball in their hands.

His team done a great job doing this, what was funny, it wasn't Valley that made them turn it over, it was the 3 stripes running around out there acting like they weren't calling for the home team! :devilflam

And they wonder why no one wants to come to the 15th to play and no one wants 15th region officials to call their games in the region.
mountain hoops guru Wrote:His team done a great job doing this, what was funny, it wasn't Valley that made them turn it over, it was the 3 stripes running around out there acting like they weren't calling for the home team! :devilflam

And they wonder why no one wants to come to the 15th to play and no one wants 15th region officials to call their games in the region.
Let me see if I understand this right. EJ and LB wasnt good enough to make them have turnovers, but 3 old men can? They must have some pretty quick hands and feet.
InstantOffense Wrote:I think coaches in football should only criticized if they are running passing plays in the second half and trying trick plays. If they are running the ball, that's about all they can do. I think sometimes people just want to complain about running up the score no matter how it was done.

Good post.

I really don't see the whole thing with criticizing a coach for running up the score, no matter what sport it is. You play the game to try to win, and you win by scoring points.

That said, if I were the coach of a team in a blowout, I would certainly take the opportunity to substitute my bench guys in. Those younger players need experience too, and a blowout is a great chance to get that experience without the pressure of a close game. Plus, it rests the starters for the next game.

Now if a coach wants to leave his starters in and run the score up, I won't complain. If he wants to take the chance of an injury to a starter and deprive some backups of a chance to get some experience, I may call him stupid, but I won't call him a bad person.
mountain hoops guru Wrote:His team done a great job doing this, what was funny, it wasn't Valley that made them turn it over, it was the 3 stripes running around out there acting like they weren't calling for the home team! :devilflam

The 14th region has been site of some of the biggest rips in history. I think everyone knows you can't go into the 14th and expect a fair shake. As for saying that Perry got ripped, that is simply rediculous. The 10 second count was called early, but it was clearly an offensive foul on Perry if he hadn't called 10 seconds. What other calls were you unhappy with?
Please stay on topic.