Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pikeville 2009
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
How will they do next season with a new coach, players, and system?
Well if they give the coach sometime to do something then they may be ok but if they dont then they arent never going to keep anybody around.
Coach Howard's system will require time. He must have WR that can catch the ball over the middle. His QB must be multi-faceted and his D must be ready to cover a short field sometimes.

Through reps and weight work it will take time and effort.

I believe it can be done.
IMHO, it'll be worse than this past year. It's going to take some time....probably 3-4 years to right the program. You simply don't have the numbers too draw from that Pikeville had years ago.

In Hillard's glory days......he was able to "get" players from Elkhorn, Johns Creek, Mullins, Virgie, etc,etc. Those kids aren't attending Pikeville anymore.....and this hire is not going to change that. So, you have to develop and attract the kids you have. That takes time.

This hire will rekindle some of the fervor and spirit the program needs...but it's going to take a concerted effort from the kids, parents and coaching staff to get this thing fixed. That's not going to happen overnight.

My best guess is a slide next year.....gradual improvement in 2010.....another step in 2011.

I'm not saying Pikeville won't be competitive......because they will....But not to the level Pikeville fans expect. Not yet.
I went and watch them today at their practice....their seems pretty stacked...who they have starting for them now and wats their stats
their line seems stacked*
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:IMHO, it'll be worse than this past year. It's going to take some time....probably 3-4 years to right the program. You simply don't have the numbers too draw from that Pikeville had years ago.

In Hillard's glory days......he was able to "get" players from Elkhorn, Johns Creek, Mullins, Virgie, etc,etc. Those kids aren't attending Pikeville anymore.....and this hire is not going to change that. So, you have to develop and attract the kids you have. That takes time.

This hire will rekindle some of the fervor and spirit the program needs...but it's going to take a concerted effort from the kids, parents and coaching staff to get this thing fixed. That's not going to happen overnight.

My best guess is a slide next year.....gradual improvement in 2010.....another step in 2011.

I'm not saying Pikeville won't be competitive......because they will....But not to the level Pikeville fans expect. Not yet.

No one can achieve what Pikeville fans expect. Wake up PHS, Ben ain't Hillard and Hillard has no influence on this generation of kids. Maybe he could talk to their parents, Pikeville is going to stink for the next 4 years. Good luck Ben, hopefully the administration won't run you off.
The Pope Wrote:No one can achieve what Pikeville fans expect. Wake up PHS, Ben ain't Hillard and Hillard has no influence on this generation of kids. Maybe he could talk to their parents, Pikeville is going to stink for the next 4 years. Good luck Ben, hopefully the administration won't run you off.

I think they will surpirise a lot of you guys on here and i heard a really good thing from ben, he said, "we don't rebuild, we reload at Pikeville!"
gobigblue65 Wrote:I went and watch them today at their practice....their seems pretty stacked...who they have starting for them now and wats their stats

I was not able to come to spring practice due to surgery last week. How many did they have out? I know the numbers will vary between now and start of the season, but it gives some idea of the excitement among the players. Thanks!
Good Luck Next Year
Big Five-0- Wrote:I was not able to come to spring practice due to surgery last week. How many did they have out? I know the numbers will vary between now and start of the season, but it gives some idea of the excitement among the players. Thanks!
Had about 40 out both nights so far. That number doesnt count some kids that were on the sidelines due to illness and incoming freshmen who cant participate. ALOT of new faces out there who havent played in a few years that IMO could be key contributors next season.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Had about 40 out both nights so far. That number doesnt count some kids that were on the sidelines due to illness and incoming freshmen who cant participate. ALOT of new faces out there who havent played in a few years that IMO could be key contributors next season.

How did their practices go? What did they work on?
SportsKing Wrote:How did their practices go? What did they work on?

I went and watched the past 2 nights and all the players seem to be playing with more enspiration than they have in the past few years!!
They worked on a lot of offense (individuals) and some defense alignment last night ive been impressed!!
All I know is we've got bh and I don't care what none of you all say he's going to turm this program around! Yea I know we got to give it time but it will happen. He don't have to be Hillard to be successful, he's going to do it with or without daddy.
gobigblue65 Wrote:their line seems stacked*

They are up this year at all the lineman positions and we still dont have a few over the players out, one that suffered a knee injury last year practice and had 2-3 surgery's and is in Lexington for physical therapy that he takes 3 hrs everyday. when he come back he will help the big line that much more!
jakethesnake Wrote:All I know is we've got bh and I don't care what none of you all say he's going to turm this program around! Yea I know we got to give it time but it will happen. He don't have to be Hillard to be successful, he's going to do it with or without daddy.

I definitely think this is a pretty drastic assumption...lol. Good luck with the follow through on this comment!
DJCOOL Wrote:I definitely think this is a pretty drastic assumption...lol. Good luck with the follow through on this comment!

Ben will be succesful and Hillard will be just as excited as Ben is to apart of Pikeville Football!!
i know, right? Wrote:Ben will be succesful and Hillard will be just as excited as Ben is to apart of Pikeville Football!!

Thats right ikr. Man djcool whats your problem buddy? You sure do give this family a hard time! You just look for it man, its gonna happen here. Im gonna straight call you out. I talked to you just the other day, and you were all supportive of these guys! You talked about liking the Howards, and now all of a sudden man you just throw off on everybody. Come on! Get behind these boys and show them some support, give a chance and they'll make this thing right man!
Who will the staff be?
jakethesnake Wrote:Thats right ikr. Man djcool whats your problem buddy? You sure do give this family a hard time! You just look for it man, its gonna happen here. Im gonna straight call you out. I talked to you just the other day, and you were all supportive of these guys! You talked about liking the Howards, and now all of a sudden man you just throw off on everybody. Come on! Get behind these boys and show them some support, give a chance and they'll make this thing right man!

:Clap: :Clap:
Butch Wrote:Who will the staff be?

Ben Howard-HC/OC

Chris Mcnamee-DC

Mark Wheeler-OL

Gravy Anderson-DL

Steve Johnson-WR

Matt Branham-QB

Plus some other new coaches who names I dont know right now. I think our Special Teams coach It deserves to be said that just of the ones I mentioned above were all stand out players at the college level. Im not surprised by this but Im really liking what Im seeing out of this group so far.
i know that we did not have a good experience with ben at sv, but maybe he deserves another chance, who knows. maybe he will do things a little different back at pikeville. i think hillard is a little afraid right now since that is still in the minds of people and that is why he is not so excited. pikeville cannot get those kids they were getting before because of this new reciprocal agreement. guess we will find out just how good this coaching staff really is next year. i am from sv and we still have that bitter taste in our mouths. but like in every new coach, you will have to give him some time. no one can turn a program around in a year or two and believe me, it is going to take some work to fix what is there. it all started when they got rid of some of their coaches in the lower end of the program some years ago. now that has to all be fixed also. i used to be a big hillard fan until he started hopping around for the money. i guess he had done all he felt he could do at pikeville and decided to just make some money in his decling years. he used his influence in recent years to place and replace some people that he will have to think about for the rest of his life if he has a conscience.
LuvSV Wrote:i know that we did not have a good experience with ben at sv, but maybe he deserves another chance, who knows. maybe he will do things a little different back at pikeville. i think hillard is a little afraid right now since that is still in the minds of people and that is why he is not so excited. pikeville cannot get those kids they were getting before because of this new reciprocal agreement. guess we will find out just how good this coaching staff really is next year. i am from sv and we still have that bitter taste in our mouths. but like in every new coach, you will have to give him some time. no one can turn a program around in a year or two and believe me, it is going to take some work to fix what is there. it all started when they got rid of some of their coaches in the lower end of the program some years ago. now that has to all be fixed also. i used to be a big hillard fan until he started hopping around for the money. i guess he had done all he felt he could do at pikeville and decided to just make some money in his decling years. he used his influence in recent years to place and replace some people that he will have to think about for the rest of his life if he has a conscience.

You ever think Hillard may have wanted to coach in his old town. I don't think money has anything to do with it. He has 12 brothers and sisters from Whitesburg, who he gets to see more often now and he loves it.
LuvSV Wrote:i know that we did not have a good experience with ben at sv, but maybe he deserves another chance, who knows. maybe he will do things a little different back at pikeville. i think hillard is a little afraid right now since that is still in the minds of people and that is why he is not so excited. pikeville cannot get those kids they were getting before because of this new reciprocal agreement. guess we will find out just how good this coaching staff really is next year. i am from sv and we still have that bitter taste in our mouths. but like in every new coach, you will have to give him some time. no one can turn a program around in a year or two and believe me, it is going to take some work to fix what is there. it all started when they got rid of some of their coaches in the lower end of the program some years ago. now that has to all be fixed also. i used to be a big hillard fan until he started hopping around for the money. i guess he had done all he felt he could do at pikeville and decided to just make some money in his decling years. he used his influence in recent years to place and replace some people that he will have to think about for the rest of his life if he has a conscience.

Sounds like a bunch of sour grapes to me. Ben is a few years older now and much wiser. Definitely ready to be HC. Sit back and watch all the good things he will do at Pikeville. As for Hillard, HazzBeen already gave you the answer.
Who all is on the Panther 09 Non-District schedule?
Real Badman Wrote:Who all is on the Panther 09 Non-District schedule?
As far as I know:

Belfry
Sheldon Clark
Boyle County
Boyd County
Prestonsburg
LuvSV--That is the biggest bucket of crap I ever heard. I know Hillard AND Ben well and they are about winning, competiting,and MOST of all--they are about the kids. They genuinely care about their players and I can think of NOONE--hear me !!--NOONE that I would rather have my son play for. Class acts,good people, and winners. You can't ask for more.

You seem very bitter!::popcorn:
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Ben Howard-HC/OC

Chris Mcnamee-DC

Mark Wheeler-OL

Gravy Anderson-DL

Steve Johnson-WR

Matt Branham-QB

Plus some other new coaches who names I dont know right now. I think our Special Teams coach It deserves to be said that just of the ones I mentioned above were all stand out players at the college level. Im not surprised by this but Im really liking what Im seeing out of this group so far.
Sounds like a great staff so far--really looking forward to this season!!!!
Windsprint Wrote:LuvSV--That is the biggest bucket of crap I ever heard. I know Hillard AND Ben well and they are about winning, competiting,and MOST of all--they are about the kids. They genuinely care about their players and I can think of NOONE--hear me !!--NOONE that I would rather have my son play for. Class acts,good people, and winners. You can't ask for more.

Couldn't have been said better Windsprint!!!!!! The Howards are, have,and will always be winners,and are of the highest class!!!!!!!!!!!!!:1: :notworthy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6