Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Why don't the Falcons just run.....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The option? I know this is not a PRO set, but they practically do anyway, don't they have the backfield for it?
They have the personel to do it, but the fact is that in no way would you want to open up Mike Vick for the vicious hits an NFL defensive end could put on him. One solid hit and he could be out for the season and that would put the season down the drain. I think they should run it as a trick play, i'd say it's safe to assume they have it somewhere in the playbook.
He opens himself up for those hits almost every play anyway........
In a different way though, he is attempting to avoid defenders when he is normally hit hard. In this instance he would be actually sprinting towards a defender ready to knock his lights out.
It's hard to run the option in the NFL with athletes acroos the board like they have. The option is all about reading tackles and ends. Well when you have a defensive end/tackle who is quick enough to take both people then you find yourself in quite a pickle. Also teams in the NFL pursue the football so well with linebackers that are fast as most running backs it would be awfully hard on a team even one with Vick runing the show. I think the best bet would be a speed option out of a shotgun formation, but I don't think you can pitch on the end, with out Vick getting boed up. You'll have to reach the end with a tackle and pitch on next man (probabley a LB), but not many DE's will let a tackle reach them espically against Atlanta.
if they did run the option in the nfl the falcons would be unstoppable
"98NCCalum" Wrote:The option? I know this is not a PRO set, but they practically do anyway, don't they have the backfield for it?

This is an interesting question.

To answer: (and I think that someone has already answered) The speed of the game is entirely too fast. As one of the other posters wrote--you have to be able to read tackles and ends--and the vast majority of players are entirely too fast. I honestly don't know if there is a QB that could mentally process the reads quick enough. They actually have good personnel for it:

QB: Vick
FB: Duckett
TB: Dunn
TE: Crumpler (if he can block).

Also, NFL teams are not patient enough to run the option. They are entirely too dependent on the pass. I also think that the defensive fronts are not conducive to running the option. There are a lot of 3-4 man fronts, zone blitz schemes, etc. Who is there to option?

Now, if a team was actually 100% committed (which would never happen), I think that a team could do some damage (in the same vain as the Run N' Gun from the late 80's early 90's). But those teams eventually vanished.

Good question.
"KentuckyHillBilly5321" Wrote:This is an interesting question.

To answer: (and I think that someone has already answered) The speed of the game is entirely too fast. As one of the other posters wrote--you have to be able to read tackles and ends--and the vast majority of players are entirely too fast. I honestly don't know if there is a QB that could mentally process the reads quick enough. They actually have good personnel for it:

QB: Vick
FB: Duckett
TB: Dunn
TE: Crumpler (if he can block).

Also, NFL teams are not patient enough to run the option. They are entirely too dependent on the pass. I also think that the defensive fronts are not conducive to running the option. There are a lot of 3-4 man fronts, zone blitz schemes, etc. Who is there to option?

Now, if a team was actually 100% committed (which would never happen), I think that a team could do some damage (in the same vain as the Run N' Gun from the late 80's early 90's). But those teams eventually vanished.

Good question.

:thumb: Coudnt have said it better myself.
I see your points, I just threw it out there, b/c I do think they have the personnel for it. Crumpler is gigantic, so he could block, they have the backfield obviously.

It would be interesting to see for a game, see how someone schemed against it. It sure seems like they were building for it. I mean their best receiever is Brian Finneran. They should ahve the best line in football, b/c they don't need to spend money on a reciever, they can have all #3 recievers with that backfield and still win games.
Im thinking because they dont want micheal vick to take any hits.
Maybe the coach is not familar with it.
"blackcatfan_48" Wrote:if they did run the option in the nfl the falcons would be unstoppable

I dont think so...
"98NCCalum" Wrote:I see your points, I just threw it out there, b/c I do think they have the personnel for it. Crumpler is gigantic, so he could block, they have the backfield obviously.

It would be interesting to see for a game, see how someone schemed against it. It sure seems like they were building for it. I mean their best receiever is Brian Finneran. They should ahve the best line in football, b/c they don't need to spend money on a reciever, they can have all #3 recievers with that backfield and still win games.

This isn't a bad question or thought--it just isn't conducive to the pro environment.

I agree--the personnel is definitely there (more so than any other team that I can think of--but then again--nearly every defense could stop it). But the big thing is, to be good at the option--you have to run the option (all the time). I don't think that a pro team with superstars making millions would do something like that.
I'd put Vick in the shotgun every play. He is always a threat to run the ball