Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Middle School Baseball Tryouts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone already had tryouts and made their teams, I heard Lewis had theirs this past week, not sure how many or who made the team. Should be a good team in Lewis this year as they normally always have good baseball teams.
pioneer12 Wrote:Has anyone already had tryouts and made their teams, I heard Lewis had theirs this past week, not sure how many or who made the team. Should be a good team in Lewis this year as they normally always have good baseball teams.

I think that they have a roster of about 16 or 17 players. My son is a member of the LCMS baseball team and was a member last year. They won the conference championship last year and should make another great run this year, got a new coach this year as well.

They should be a great team.............best of luck to Coach Prater and the Baseball Lions this season!!!!!
The boys did a great job last year.They were very talented and more or less did it on their own . There are some huge shoes to fill as they lost 5 key starters.This group is very talented as well and should contend for the championship again thanks to having Coach Prater.He will take them to the next level. Lewis is extremly blessed to have him at the helm this season.
They couldn't have found a better coach if they tried, Coach Prater will do great things with our boys, can't wait to watch them play!!
liberty Wrote:The boys did a great job last year.They were very talented and more or less did it on their own . There are some huge shoes to fill as they lost 5 key starters.This group is very talented as well and should contend for the championship again thanks to having Coach Prater.He will take them to the next level. Lewis is extremly blessed to have him at the helm this season.

Who were the 8th graders that the Lions lost from last year?And who do you think will be filling the void this season?
Big Snappy Wrote:Who were the 8th graders that the Lions lost from last year?And who do you think will be filling the void this season?

I would recomend asking someone other than I these questions .Speculating on who will take who's place will open up a proverbial can of worms that I do not wish to open.
Amen to that Liberty!!! Post an opinion and you are labled a "jealous parent" Lewis is returning two 7th graders who started last year, they have 3 this year that can step and do great things to help bring that conference title back home where it belongs. They also have several 7th graders this year that will fill the void of the 8th graders that moved on from last year. Lewis has always had a strong baseball team and this year with Coach prater taking over only good things can happen!!
whateverfloats Wrote:Amen to that Liberty!!! Post an opinion and you are labled a "jealous parent" Lewis is returning two 7th graders who started last year, they have 3 this year that can step and do great things to help bring that conference title back home where it belongs. They also have several 7th graders this year that will fill the void of the 8th graders that moved on from last year. Lewis has always had a strong baseball team and this year with Coach prater taking over only good things can happen!!

I don't think they have to bring it back home.If I remember right,I watched them beat Mason Co,at Fleming Co,last season,to win the conference title.So,I think we have it here,just got to find away to keep it here.I'm sure Fleming and Mason,will be wanting to take it to their place.I want to say,that Coach Liles did a great job with the team last year,bringing :Thumbs: home the conference title,lets hope we can do it again in 09.
Lewis also let 6th graders try out this year. I believe that four made the team.
Coach Liles was there and I will leave it at that.The players and all their Little League and AAU coaches are the ones that deserve the credit for taking the championship. I would list the names of the youth coaches that spent countless hours on the practice field and playing in tournaments in and out of state, However I know they are too modest and do not want to bring attention to helping the kids out. All I can say to those coache's is job well done and thank you very much.
When did Lewis change their policy on letting 6th graders try out for the 7th and 8th grade team? Was there a shortage of older kids trying out? Did all 6th graders from around the county get to tryout? This may be a good thing to introduce as many players as possible to the bigger field.
liberty Wrote:When did Lewis change their policy on letting 6th graders try out for the 7th and 8th grade team? Was there a shortage of older kids trying out? Did all 6th graders from around the county get to tryout? This may be a good thing to introduce as many players as possible to the bigger field.

To be honest I didn't know that 6th graders didn't try out before this year. I think tryouts are limited to 6th grade Middle School only. And the reason being because of insurance. Schools can only cover kids that attend their school (I think).

Anyway, best of luck to them.
warrior3 Wrote:To be honest I didn't know that 6th graders didn't try out before this year. I think tryouts are limited to 6th grade Middle School only. And the reason being because of insurance. Schools can only cover kids that attend their school (I think).

Anyway, best of luck to them.

I was under the impression that it was felt that 6th graders were to young to move up for baseball. I think they will be fine though and it is best to get them started early. One would think that all the students fall under the insurance blanket of the district not the individual schools. That maybe different nowadays with KERA and the way they have things set up. Yes nothing but the best of luck to the Middle School Lions.

I encourage everyone that possibly can come out and support these players and Coach Prater. We need to show him that we care and we appreciate him. The people of Lewis has a gem in Coach Prater and we want to make sure he stays with us. You would have to travel a long long long way to find one better than him.
Belfry already had there tryouts, and I look for a very fast and powerful baseball team! From what I heard the coaches are already running those kids to death! but thats not a bad thing
letcher county had about 30 kids sign up for middle school baseball, will probably have 2 teams but all practice together