Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bengals lose Fitzpatrick: QB signs with Bills
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Bengals lost their second free agent of the day Friday night when quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick signed with the Buffalo Bills to back up Trent Edwards.

Fitzpatrick, a four-year veteran out of Harvard who began his career in St. Louis, started 12 games in the place of the injured Carson Palmer this past season. He went 221-372 on the season for 1,905 yards and eight touchdowns, with nine picks.

Fitzpatrick led the team to a 4-3-1 finish, but opted to mentor Edwards in Buffalo, rather than continue to back up the more-established Palmer in Cincinnati.

“I think it’s helped me a lot in my career to play behind Marc Bulger (in St. Louis) and Carson Palmer,” Fitzpatrick told the Bills' official team Web site. “I’ve been able to see how they approach the game, and in doing that I’ve been able to help them out. I think that’s what I’m going to bring here.

"Trent is still a young guy and I’m going to help him out with his preparation. I’m going to be his eyes when he’s on the field and I’m looking forward to that relationship.”

Buffalo now has four quarterbacks on their roster after re-signing Gibran Hamdan to a new contract Thursday and tendering exclusive rights quarterback Matt Baker, who spent the 2008 season on injured reserve. Free agent veteran J.P. Losman will likely test his value on the marketplace.

"We’re excited to have Ryan join our team and feel he will add to our quarterback corps," Bills chief operating officer Russ Brandon said.

The Bills freed up room under their salary cap Thursday by releasing high-priced starting guard Derrick Dockery and veteran starting tight end Robert Royal.

Fitzpatrick was the first free agent to visit Buffalo Friday morning. He spent the day meeting with team personnel before becoming Buffalo’s first signee of the new league year.

“It was a little stressful, but a lot of fun too,” Fitzpatrick told Buffalobills.com. “It’s been a long day here in Buffalo, but it’s been a great day getting a chance to meet everybody and talking with Coach Jauron for a bit. It’s an impressive organization from top to bottom.”

With Carson Palmer's younger brother Jordan the only other quarterback on staff after Fitzpatrick's departure, the Bengals will almost certainly seek to acquire a veteran QB to back up the elder Palmer.

Earlier Friday, free agent right tackle Stacy Andrews agreed to a deal with the Philadelphia Eagles, where he will rejoin brother Shawn Andrews with a deal giving him $7 million per year
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage
Bengals can start from scratch.