Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Campbell Co. 48 - Scott 41
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Great job Camels
Katie Kitchen was the Most Valuable Player
Congrats Campbell Co.
Scott 6 13 12 10 41

Campbell Co. 11 12 11 14 48

37th District at Campbell Co. Middle School
Scott (9-18) -- Benzinger 6, Davis 6, Tibbs 28, Bamforth 1.
Campbell Co. (20-6) -- Dumaine 4, Griffin 6, Bowling 6, Kitchen 15, Peters 17.

http://www.kentucky.com
Kitchen's 15 points hold off Eagles

http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...902270407/

When Campbell County senior Katie Kitchen sliced off her strand of the victory net, she had no doubt where it would wind up.

"It's going in my scrapbook that I'm keeping forever," she said.

Kitchen began filling that keepsake with newspaper articles about the Camels when she made the varsity squad as a freshman. After scoring 15 points to help Campbell County defeat Scott 48-41 in the final of the 37th District tournament on Thursday, Kitchen's going to be able to fill a few more pages.

Both teams advance to next week's 10th Region tournament. Should the Camels (20-6) make an extended postseason run, Kitchen says she probably will need a new book altogether.

"It's pretty full," Kitchen said. "I'd have to get another one, but I'm OK with that."

The Eagles won't be asking to borrow Kitchen's collection of clippings anytime soon.

Scott has faced Campbell County in the postseason every season since moving to the 37th District in 2005. The Eagles lost three of those four playoff showdowns, all by seven points or fewer.

"Every time we play, it's a battle back and forth that could go either way," Scott coach Rhonda Klette said.

That's an apt description of Thursday night's district title game.

With just under four minutes left to play, the Eagles held a 38-37 edge following a stickback from center Lauren Tibbs. The lead was Scott's first since scoring the game's opening basket - and it was short-lived.

Kitchen knifed into the lane for a layup on Campbell County's next possession to swing the lead back to the Camels. After Scott was whistled for an illegal screen on the subsequent inbounds play, Kitchen knocked down a 3-point shot to move the Camels ahead 42-38. Campbell County clinched the win by sinking six of eight shots from the free-throw line in the final minute.

Before Kitchen's clutch 3-pointer, Campbell County had made only one of 15 shots from beyond the arc. Struggling to penetrate against Scott's zone defense and hesitant to challenge the 6-foot-4 Tibbs in the paint, Campbell County shot 27 percent from the field.

"We settled (for long jump shots) way too much," Campbell County coach Ed Cravens said. "The top half of the lane was open for most of the night, and I just couldn't get our kids to understand that."

The Camels counteracted their misses from the perimeter by collecting 18 offensive rebounds and harassing Scott's backcourt into 19 turnovers. Those gaudy figures were barely enough to hold off Tibbs, who scored the Eagles' first 16 points and finished with a game-high 28.

But while Tibbs was a one-player wrecking crew, the Camels had Kitchen and junior center Brianna Peters. The duo combined to score nine of Campbell County's 14 fourth-quarter points. Peters finished with a team-leading 17 points and added eight rebounds
Congrats Camels