Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Campbell County's Dusty Brown - State Wrestling champ
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dusty Brown and his Campbell County High School wrestling teammates all made big comebacks last weekend.

http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/app...302260003/

Brown claimed his first state championship Feb. 21 in Frankfort, and the Camels rallied to finish fourth as a team.

Brown, an Alexandria resident, defeated Trinity's Grant Ohlmann 6-3 in the 152-pound final.

"It was coming down to the wire," Brown said. "It was a hard-fought match."

Brown was recovering from a torn labrum in his right shoulder. He missed more than half the season and the final was only his 22nd match of the year. He ended 21-1.

"It was a roadblock but I worked through it," he said. "I had a lot of rehab, a lot of working out. Everybody supported me and helped me through it."

Campbell head coach Mike Bankemper was proud of his senior, who will wrestle for Division I Liberty next season.

"He had a rough year," Bankemper said. "We didn't know if he could make it back. Dusty has worked for years going to camps and tournaments. It was good for him to see the results."

Camel junior Jacob Lee, also rehabbing a torn labrum, rallied to finish second in the state at 160.

Ranked ninth in the state coming in, Lee notched close wins over three wrestlers ranked above him before losing in the state final. Lee (38-9) fell 8-3 to Woodford County standout Harrison Courtney, who won his fourth title.

"He picked the right time to wrestle the best he has all year," Bankemper said. "He wasn't expected to place."

Senior Jacob Ilg (59-6) fell in the 215-pound final 14-7 to Sheldon Clark's Ryan Kelly.

Bankemper thought Ilg could wear out Kelly in the third period, but Ilg suffered a bloody nose which resulted in several stoppages of action, sav