Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Japanese Steak House Shrimp Sauce
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, if you've ever been to a Japanese steak house (hibachi) then you've probably come across something they call shrimp sauce.

Now this is not the cocktail sauce we are used to. Instead, this is a slightly pale pink sauce that is sweet.

They serve it on the salads and give you some for dipping chicken and other items. If I have any left over, I like to pour it on my fried rice as well.

Now, after much looking, the only place I've ever found the Japanese steak house style shrimp sauce is Food City and you're lucky if you can find it there.

Since there's not a Food City anywhere near Richmond, I've had to come up with my own recipe.

I think I've come close.

1 cup Mayonnaise (not miracle whip)

3 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons melted butter

1 tablespoon distilled (white) vinegar - better if you use rice vinegar but not a household item

1 tablespoon water

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon paprika

1 dash cayenne pepper

Mix well and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.
That sounds wild. You make it this summer for a big BGR cookout and I'll eat it.
ComfortEagle Wrote:So, if you've ever been to a Japanese steak house (hibachi) then you've probably come across something they call shrimp sauce.

Now this is not the cocktail sauce we are used to. Instead, this is a slightly pale pink sauce that is sweet.

They serve it on the salads and give you some for dipping chicken and other items. If I have any left over, I like to pour it on my fried rice as well.

Now, after much looking, the only place I've ever found the Japanese steak house style shrimp sauce is Food City and you're lucky if you can find it there.

Since there's not a Food City anywhere near Richmond, I've had to come up with my own recipe.

I think I've come close.

1 cup Mayonnaise (not miracle whip)

3 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons melted butter

1 tablespoon distilled (white) vinegar - better if you use rice vinegar but not a household item

1 tablespoon water

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon paprika

1 dash cayenne pepper

Mix well and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.

Ummm, sounds good