Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Should WYMT Staff Say What They Really Think?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
After watching a few webcast on Shelby Valley I can't help but wonder why Brian Milam constantly comments that Justice is the best point guard in eastern KY. He's certainly entilted to his opinion, but as a person in the public eye (especially in sensitive eastern ky) I don't think that's appropriate for him to say. I think there are three potential best point guards in east ky and that would be Whitaker, Justice and Cox. I personally think Cox is the best by far and I'm sure there's a lot of other people who feel the same. I'm sure the parents of the other good point guards like hearing Mr. Milam repeat how much better Justice is than the other two. I say they should keep those comments to themselves and give all the players equallity. I've never heard channel 27 single out who they thought was the best high school player in Lexington. I think at the college level it's OK, but not in high school.
zulu Wrote:After watching a few webcast on Shelby Valley I can't help but wonder why Brian Milam constantly comments that Justice is the best point guard in eastern KY. He's certainly entilted to his opinion, but as a person in the public eye (especially in sensitive eastern ky) I don't think that's appropriate for him to say. I think there are three potential best point guards in east ky and that would be Whitaker, Justice and Cox. I personally think Cox is the best by far and I'm sure there's a lot of other people who feel the same. I'm sure the parents of the other good point guards like hearing Mr. Milam repeat how much better Justice is than the other two. I say they should keep those comments to themselves and give all the players equallity. I've never heard channel 27 single out who they thought was the best high school player in Lexington. I think at the college level it's OK, but not in high school.

He is entitled to his opinion. But your comment about best by far is absolutely rediculous. There is not a guard in the state better BY FAR. Dont diss Milam if you make these comments yourself. I have seen all three play and I would rate Justice, then Cox, with Whitaker a very, very close 3rd. I am not from Valley so dont think I am a homey.
I have no problems when during a telecast a comentator ijects their opinions. Whether it is about a player team or coach. As long as it is objective and informative.

I am no fan of "Dukie" V, and all of his rants, but when he offers his opinion, he backs it up with good sound reasoning. If there was no colormen, the ones who explain the game and offer opinion, sports broadcasting would be very boring. Plus, opinion is supposed to do exactly this: Offer up conversation and debate.

Though I have not heard the gentleman, I can appreciate his job, because he has did it. He has gotten the public talking. Is he right or wrong, it's never right or wrong when it's opinion.
As far as your statement about Cox being by FAR the best point gaurd that is crazy. I watched Knott and Cox play and Elisha is a step above Cox or any other gaurd. After watching SV play Perry last night, I know for a fact that Elisha is the best. Im not one to keep repeating his name in every post to prove my point, but SV was down by 8 against a very good Perry Central team. And Elisha simply took the game over and won it for Valley. He is the total package, he can drive and score, or pull up for a 3. And I believe that the only people that are going to say Cox is the best gaurd is Knott fans.
PhiSlamaJama#12 Wrote:As far as your statement about Cox being by FAR the best point gaurd that is crazy. I watched Knott and Cox play and Elisha is a step above Cox or any other gaurd. After watching SV play Perry last night, I know for a fact that Elisha is the best. Im not one to keep repeating his name in every post to prove my point, but SV was down by 8 against a very good Perry Central team. And Elisha simply took the game over and won it for Valley. He is the total package, he can drive and score, or pull up for a 3. And I believe that the only people that are going to say Cox is the best gaurd is Knott fans.

We must have watched different games. What I saw was alot of bad shots that didn't even come close. He scored most his points on lay ups and from the foul line. I was not impresssed at all. Cox is the better player, but that just my opinion.
zulu Wrote:We must have watched different games. What I saw was alot of bad shots that didn't even come close. He scored most his points on lay ups and from the foul line. I was not impresssed at all. Cox is the better player, but that just my opinion.

Yeah, Lay-ups and free throws all count for points last time I checked. He hit three 3's, and one really big one in the 4th quarter. And scoring isnt the only thing that makes a good ball player, and Elishas defense and speed would shut down Cox. Just my opinion.
I don't see anything wrong with him saying Justice is the best point guard..... commentators do this all the time on ALL levels. If these players want to be considered among the best and move on to the next level than they have to be able to accept that this as part of it. I think Brian Milam does a great job with these games.
Opinions, even educated ones, can be biased due to many factors. Fans tend to see thier team's players differently than the players on opposing teams. And anyone can have a sub-par game. For example I watched the JBS Vs. Wolfe game and wasn't impressed with Cox. His ball handling was adequate but not exceptional. He didn't seem especially quick and didn't score well or create scoring opportunities for team mates. If I based my opinion on this game only I would be vastly underating Cox. I've seen him play extremely well in other games.
It's ok to have homers for a team inside coverage area playing a team from outside the coverage area. But when both teams are from the mountains, the commentators should stay impartial.
PhiSlamaJama#12 Wrote:Yeah, Lay-ups and free throws all count for points last time I checked. He hit three 3's, and one really big one in the 4th quarter. And scoring isnt the only thing that makes a good ball player, and Elishas defense and speed would shut down Cox. Just my opinion.

You'll get nowhere arguing with Zulu, like many of us have said before, he's from planet "Zulu" and Tate Cox is the Ruler there.
Man anyone the puts Brian down needs their heads checked.. He promotes EKY players so much and the schools from around here... Man I have spents many friday nights talking to Brian when he followed LC during there run in the 90's and have to say he does far more then everyone gives him credit for. And Justice is the best guard in the State from what I have seen or heard.
:
PC_You_Know Wrote:You'll get nowhere arguing with Zulu, like many of us have said before, he's from planet "Zulu" and Tate Cox is the Ruler there.

That's pretty good.. :lmao:
Batpuff Wrote:Man anyone the puts Brian down needs their heads checked.. He promotes EKY players so much and the schools from around here... Man I have spents many friday nights talking to Brian when he followed LC during there run in the 90's and have to say he does far more then everyone gives him credit for. And Justice is the best guard in the State from what I have seen or heard.

Guyn, Sanford, and John Hood are definitely better, but Elisha is VERY good, and will be one of the top 3 guards in the state next year.
I think its fine..everyone in eastern Kentucky knows that Elisha Justice is the best PG in this area...not by far but the best
zulu Wrote:After watching a few webcast on Shelby Valley I can't help but wonder why Brian Milam constantly comments that Justice is the best point guard in eastern KY. He's certainly entilted to his opinion, but as a person in the public eye (especially in sensitive eastern ky) I don't think that's appropriate for him to say. I think there are three potential best point guards in east ky and that would be Whitaker, Justice and Cox. I personally think Cox is the best by far and I'm sure there's a lot of other people who feel the same. I'm sure the parents of the other good point guards like hearing Mr. Milam repeat how much better Justice is than the other two. I say they should keep those comments to themselves and give all the players equallity. I've never heard channel 27 single out who they thought was the best high school player in Lexington. I think at the college level it's OK, but not in high school.

zulu Wrote:We must have watched different games. What I saw was alot of bad shots that didn't even come close. He scored most his points on lay ups and from the foul line. I was not impresssed at all. Cox is the better player, but that just my opinion.
That is Milam's opinion along with several others about Justice being the best point guard in eastern KY and IMO he is one of the best point guards in the state period. As far as Cox and Whitaker they are both good players but Justice is more than just a little better at the point than both of them and if I'm not mistaken Justice and Cox played on the same AAU team for a year or two and I'm pretty sure Justice not Cox was the one that ran the point position if that means anything but like PC you Know said ZULU is on his own planet if he thinks Cox is better at the point than Justice.::please: On another note I think if Milam had said he that he thought Cox or Whitaker was better at the point than Justice, ZULU and a couple more that are complaining wouldn't be saying anything about Milam stating his opinion.
justabballfan Wrote:That is Milam's opinion along with several others about Justice being the best point guard in eastern KY and IMO he is one of the best point guards in the state period. As far as Cox and Whitaker they are both good players but Justice is more than just a little better at the point than both of them and if I'm not mistaken Justice and Cox played on the same AAU team for a year or two and I'm pretty sure Justice not Cox was the one that ran the point position if that means anything but like PC you Know said ZULU is on his own planet if he thinks Cox is better at the point than Justice.::please:

Too bad we didn't get to see the 2 go at it in the SV KCC game.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Too bad we didn't get to see the 2 go at it in the SV KCC game.

I agree I went to the game hoping that Justice was going to be able to play but it didn't happen, but IMO I will say that if Justice would have played the outcome of that one would have definitely been different . TongueirateSho
justabballfan Wrote:I agree I went to the game hoping that Justice was going to be able to play but it didn't happen, but IMO I will say that if Justice would have played the outcome of that one would have definitely been different . TongueirateSho

You're preaching to the choir. :eyeroll:
justabballfan Wrote:That is Milam's opinion along with several others about Justice being the best point guard in eastern KY and IMO he is one of the best point guards in the state period. As far as Cox and Whitaker they are both good players but Justice is more than just a little better at the point than both of them and if I'm not mistaken Justice and Cox played on the same AAU team for a year or two and I'm pretty sure Justice not Cox was the one that ran the point position if that means anything but like PC you Know said ZULU is on his own planet if he thinks Cox is better at the point than Justice.::please: On another note I think if Milam had said he that he thought Cox or Whitaker was better at the point than Justice, ZULU and a couple more that are complaining wouldn't be saying anything about Milam stating his opinion.
This is from Mr Pessimistic himself, he never gives Justice credit, sure he scores layups but it's his defense and his ability to penetrate and atheleticism to finish. BM and anyone can voice thier opinion just as zulu. If it weren't for a different opinion on here we would have no reason to get on here and voice. IMO it's Justice, Cox, Whitaker, Amis in that order with Amis being 2nd in ball handling and speed.
Justice is the best PG in the mountains.
After watching all three play several times, I honestly don't know how some of you can say that Justice is by far better than Cox. After games have many differences, but the fact is, Cox can play with the best of them. Justice is the better defender and distributor; Tate is a better shooter and scorer. Elisha is obviously surrounded by more talent, making his job a little easier.
Commanche Wrote:He is entitled to his opinion. But your comment about best by far is absolutely rediculous. There is not a guard in the state better BY FAR. Dont diss Milam if you make these comments yourself. I have seen all three play and I would rate Justice, then Cox, with Whitaker a very, very close 3rd. I am not from Valley so dont think I am a homey.

What zulu is sayin tho is that Brian Milam is in the public eye. He shouldn't be able to get on tv and say he thinks so and so is the best. Its not that he can't have an opinion, but he should get a fake name and post his op on here not tv. He is in a position to spot light these young athelets and he should not be biased. Its not fair to the other kids. So I have to agree with zulu, Brian Milam should keep his opinions to himself when he is telling the news. You don't here other news ppl telling the news about a serial killer and saying in their opinion they are guily or innocent. Same rule applies here.
roundball_legend Wrote:After watching all three play several times, I honestly don't know how some of you can say that Justice is by far better than Cox. After games have many differences, but the fact is, Cox can play with the best of them. Justice is the better defender and distributor; Tate is a better shooter and scorer. Elisha is obviously surrounded by more talent, making his job a little easier.

Look at this though, Cox and company could barely beat a Valley team without Elisha, you would think a guard who is the "better shooter and scorer" would be able to take great advantage of the "better defender and distributor" not being in the game.
There is nothing wrong with any sports personality voicing their opinion. Milam is a very big supporter of East KY sports and because of him and WYMT the kids here in the mountains get a lot more publicity and notice. Sports Overtime and all the camera's sent out weekly to the many high schools in East KY have allowed people all over the viewing area know who Justice, Cox and Whitaker even are. Milam is one of the few people who have seen most of the players in the mountains play and his opinion comes with some knowledge.

On the other point after personally watching all three play the last 2-3 years, it is MY opinion that Justice is the best with Cox and Whitaker a close 2nd. Justice is not just a scorer but he is the team leader and coach on the floor. He is the best floor general in the mountains and one of the very best in the state. He then is the teams shut down defender as often he is asked to guard the other teams best player.
boogieman Wrote:What zulu is sayin tho is that Brian Milam is in the public eye. He shouldn't be able to get on tv and say he thinks so and so is the best. Its not that he can't have an opinion, but he should get a fake name and post his op on here not tv. He is in a position to spot light these young athelets and he should not be biased. Its not fair to the other kids. So I have to agree with zulu, Brian Milam should keep his opinions to himself when he is telling the news. You don't here other news ppl telling the news about a serial killer and saying in their opinion they are guily or innocent. Same rule applies here.

So then there should be no rankings right? Since all of these analysts and reporters are in the public eye, they shouldn't say Michael Jordan is better than Tate Cox, because obviously, they shouldn't have an opinion while on tv.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Look at this though, Cox and company could barely beat a Valley team without Elisha, you would think a guard who is the "better shooter and scorer" would be able to take great advantage of the "better defender and distributor" not being in the game.

If he is so great, then start a thread about him. This thread is about Brian Milam stating his opinion.
justabballfan Wrote:I agree I went to the game hoping that Justice was going to be able to play but it didn't happen, but IMO I will say that if Justice would have played the outcome of that one would have definitely been different . TongueirateSho
In your dreams, I would love to see them play I have seen them play before. You have no compition in the 15th.
Tate Cox is not even an PG..He is more of a SG
PC_You_Know Wrote:So then there should be no rankings right? Since all of these analysts and reporters are in the public eye, they shouldn't say Michael Jordan is better than Tate Cox, because obviously, they shouldn't have an opinion while on tv.

When they do that they are not sitting there in fron of the camera saying so and so is #1. He should not be able to do that.
IRISH4 Wrote:Justice is the best PG in the mountains.

Says who???
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7