Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Why do coaching staffs not turn in stats to KHSAA?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I think it can keep some girls from getting statewide recognition. Alot of people like to look at the KHSAA website to look at stats but I have noticed alot of teams aren't posting so you can't get an accurate look at top 15 in the state. What are your thoughts?
Im not sure if it is the coaches responsibity or the AD's.
Coaches should be doing this or delagating it to someone to do. IMO
Coaches responsibility to call in sores and stats if they wish. Four reasons: 1. not enough help, 2. If you are good, you don't tip your hand, 3. if you are struggling, you don't show anymore negative than what is already being displayed in the team record, 4. It's a team game, most coaches hate stats, won't tell their kids stats, don't want kids playing for stats.

Stats are important to Mom and Dad, not coaches.
Stardust Wrote:Coaches responsibility to call in sores and stats if they wish. Four reasons: 1. not enough help, 2. If you are good, you don't tip your hand, 3. if you are struggling, you don't show anymore negative than what is already being displayed in the team record, 4. It's a team game, most coaches hate stats, won't tell their kids stats, don't want kids playing for stats.

I think you're right with 1, 2, and 3...but if you're right about number 4 then that is too bad. I remember wanting to know my stats so i could improve my FG% or be the leading rebounder. I can tell you that it made me work a lot harder in a game to get that extra rebound. I don't think there is anything wrong with a little inter-squad competition. I understand that basketball is a team game, but a "team" doesn't get to the next level. If a region is able to get any players to college then that is quite an accomplishment. I guess I am just saying that I think if you have someone on your team who gives consistent "numbers", post it and maybe a scout might wanna take an extra look.

BTW, my parents didn't have a clue what my stat line was. :1:
But, I guess that has changed also in the last few years.
Bombshell Stomp Wrote:I think you're right with 1, 2, and 3...but if you're right about number 4 then that is too bad. I remember wanting to know my stats so i could improve my FG% or be the leading rebounder. I can tell you that it made me work a lot harder in a game to get that extra rebound. I don't think there is anything wrong with a little inter-squad competition. I understand that basketball is a team game, but a "team" doesn't get to the next level. If a region is able to get any players to college then that is quite an accomplishment. I guess I am just saying that I think if you have someone on your team who gives consistent "numbers", post it and maybe a scout might wanna take an extra look.

BTW, my parents didn't have a clue what my stat line was. :1:
But, I guess that has changed also in the last few years.

Very solid post :Thumbs:

I don't disagree with you, just explaining why stats in most cases are not posted. Your feelings as a player are the same as most every player. We all want to know how we are doing, both to compete with ourself, but for what the coach is trying to avoid selfishness, against your teammates.

As for scouts, they don't look in the papers anymore. Trust me, if the stats were important for recruiting, you would see it prominantly posted. There are no kids that are missed because they didn't have their stats publicly posted. If they were missed, then their coach or AD did not do a good job of marketing in all of the recruiting tools that are available. I am familiar with how it works, and there are methods that are available to the coaches and AD's to get their players publicized appropriately. These are just not available to the public to see (with the exception of the leaks that make up such sites as Hoop-Scoops, Rivals, MaxPreps, etc...)
Stardust Wrote:Coaches responsibility to call in sores and stats if they wish. Four reasons: 1. not enough help, 2. If you are good, you don't tip your hand, 3. if you are struggling, you don't show anymore negative than what is already being displayed in the team record, 4. It's a team game, most coaches hate stats, won't tell their kids stats, don't want kids playing for stats.

Agree!
I would LOVE to be able to see the stats when I look. There are so many reasons that I try to find them for different teams and most of the time when I look, they are never there.
I think one reason is it gives the opposition a heads up on a scouting report. Not that most coaches aren't going to call another coach and get one anyway. But it illustrates how parinoid coaches are.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:I think one reason is it gives the opposition a heads up on a scouting report. Not that most coaches aren't going to call another coach and get one anyway. But it illustrates how parinoid coaches are.

That is definitely part of it. With all the game tape trading between teams, it almost seems moot.
thetribe Wrote:I would LOVE to be able to see the stats when I look. There are so many reasons that I try to find them for different teams and most of the time when I look, they are never there.

I agree with you 100%. It should be mandatory by the Khsaa. It takes at most 15 minutes to enter all stats for a game. I also know for a fact that college coaches keep track throughout the season on potential recruits stats. If you recruit a kid, their stats vs good teams , bad teams etc. are all very important. Colleges do still recruit kids from their high school performance not just AAU like many people think. I know 3 major D-1 players who never played AAU. College coaches were in the stands every night and all of them kept track of these girls stats.Colleges I speak of were Kentucky,Vandy,Louisville, Marshall,Middle Tennessee, and a host of others !:Thumbs:
Those same teams will be coming to Ashland in a few years to watch some D-1 players as well. I agree with you about the stats but you are way off base with the AAU comment. AAU is where it is at now a days. Kids learn more from stiff competition imo.
razor Wrote:Those same teams will be coming to Ashland in a few years to watch some D-1 players as well. I agree with you about the stats but you are way off base with the AAU comment. AAU is where it is at now a days. Kids learn more from stiff competition imo.

All I said was that coaches don't recruit solely from AAU there Nostradamus and if you are even remotely comparing the Ashland kids to the kids I'm talking about you're dreaming.
Whatever! I am not comparing anyone to anyone. All I am saying is that we have a superior class of girls coming up over the next few years. All I know is that AAU, along with our assistant coaches has really helped our younger grades. The Euton's were big on AAU and it paid off for their son...he is UK Bound. I just dont see the problem with promoting our future stars through AAU.
razor Wrote:Those same teams will be coming to Ashland in a few years to watch some D-1 players as well. I agree with you about the stats but you are way off base with the AAU comment. AAU is where it is at now a days. Kids learn more from stiff competition imo.

Nice first post razor.
Who's at Ashland? D-1 players? AAU? I'm a little lost on where razor is taking this.
Is it mandatory by the KHSAA to turn it in?
thumbsdown Wrote:Who's at Ashland? D-1 players? AAU? I'm a little lost on where razor is taking this.

He's taking it to fantasy island-Boss,Boss, Da plane, Da plane.:please:
cougarpride08 Wrote:Is it mandatory by the KHSAA to turn it in?

No it is not
We were undefeated this past season in Middle School OVC. Too bad those stats were never posted.
razor Wrote:We were undefeated this past season in Middle School OVC. Too bad those stats were never posted.

Congrats on hanging another middle school banner up!
razor Wrote:We were undefeated this past season in Middle School OVC. Too bad those stats were never posted.

Middle School athletics are not sanctioned by the State.
LET EM PLAY Wrote:He's taking it to fantasy island-Boss,Boss, Da plane, Da plane.:please:

Now that's funny
mymiddleschoolbanner Wrote:Congrats on hanging another middle school banner up!

I don’t want to get of topic here but most schools try concentrating on hanging Regional championship banners. :Thumbs:
Stardust, you make some very accurate points.

The class of 2010 at Ashland went undefeated in 7th grade and the only loss in 8th grade was to EC in the OVC tournament final. I would not bank the success of future programs on middle school wins. There is only one potential D-1 right now and she is a junior.
kittennation Wrote:The class of 2010 at Ashland went undefeated in 7th grade and the only loss in 8th grade was to EC in the OVC tournament final. I would not bank the success of future programs on middle school wins. There is only one potential D-1 right now and she is a junior.

Still alot of work to be done to play at big D-1, mid major maybe. Her work ethic has picked up over last year and Coach PW has spent quality time and hours helping to develop her. Getting back to the stats, the khsaa should implement a by law forcing all coaches to report the stats of both the team and individual players. Coach Bill Bradley has a done a great job of keeping his stats on the khsaa scoreboard updated on a regular basis.

Stats are important.
They can help athletes get recognized to get into college on scholarships.
The coaches aren't the people that college's offer scholarships to. Some coaches that I know are just too lazy to send them in which is a down rigt shame.
You're right. It is a team game. But the whole team cant afford to go to college.
If you are ever interviewed by a Scout, they will ask for your stats.
So yes. They are important to mom and dad "financial wise" but they should be important to you too if you ever want to get in college to play sports. Let's be honest...are you going to be the one paying your tuition? or are you gonna out your mom and dad in financial trouble because they want to make sure you have an education that way life can be easier for you in the future?
thumbsdown Wrote:I don’t want to get of topic here but most schools try concentrating on hanging Regional championship banners. :Thumbs:

It's obvious, jealousy will only eat at you. Stats are important and should be posted.
thumbsdown Wrote:I don’t want to get of topic here but most schools try concentrating on hanging Regional championship banners. :Thumbs:

Check out the wall come Monday night and you will see plenty of Regional Banners and Maroon Tradition. :Thumbs:
Pages: 1 2