Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Mardi Gras
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am going to Mardi Gras for the first time this up-coming weekend.
We are going to the Endymion and Bacchus parades on Saturday and Sunday.

Who else has ever been to Mardi Gras? What parades did you see? Any memories you would like to share?
Been to New Orleans a few times, but never during Madi Gras
Get Lots And Lots Of Beads. And Lots And Lots Of Pictures !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Notorious Wrote:And Lots And Lots Of Pictures !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:Thumbs: :Clap:
I went to New Orleans a few years ago and it was fun... We stayed rite on Bourbon Street and it was very loud... But I think Mardi Gras is officially shut down at 12. Entertaining city, we took a ghost tour lead by a vampire which was neat. Hand Grenades, Hand Grenades, Hand Grenades!
any pics taken right before the beads are handed out??????haha
I've never been to Mardi Gras before... I really want to go. Have fun!
Been once and it was awesome. Stayed on Bourbon St and what a crowd. My favorite part is ALL the different people out on the street and my most favorite part is all the lovely ladies.
Well we took in Tucks, Endymion, and Bacchus. All in all it as a good time. Endymion was PACKED..huge, elaborate parade. Ventured afterwards to Bourbon and it was so packed you couldn't move on the streets. Sunday was much more tame, and IMO, more enjoyable.

The parades shut down by midnight, but Bourbon goes all night. Plenty of stimulating visuals.

I have been to New Orleans and Bourbon two other times and to be honest had as much fun if not more when it wasn't so crowded. Definately glad I went, but don't think I will specifically rotate my schedule just so I can ever go back to Mardi Gras again.

For those who may go in the future a few things to know:

1. Cabs are not easy to get, and once you do they will try to rip yu off. pay attention to their meter and there is no such thing as "Event Rates" (a cabby tried to pull this ona couple of my buddies). Additionally in front of the W Hotel at Harrah's is the best place to try to catch one.

2. Keep your wallet in your side pocket and not your back pocket. Watch a parade and have people constantly going behind you and you will understad why.

3. While in the French Quarter or Uptown you will always be pretty safe, but don't venture off drunk by yourself at any point.

4. Look for parking lots that say "Monthy Pass Required"..usually these are all converted to event parking and have open spots.

5. The quickest way from the French Quarter to Canal Street is NEVER Bourbon Street.

6. Beads are everywhere and very easy to get.. if you want photo ops you need to hold out for the rare throws.

7. There are several bars on the streets parallel to Bourbon that are just as cheap that you don't have to wait an hour in line for.

8. The best Hurricane is, and will always be, at Pat O'Briens. Plus you get to keep the glass. Pat O's Piano Bar is a good time too.

9. The further away from Canal you get on Bourbon the more rainbow flags and less girls you will see if you catch my drift...

10. Take Cash..