Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Former Johnson Central star Shawn Grimm on 20/20 with Diane Sawyer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
A very sad story about a wonderful football player and seems like a great kid. Pikeville College needs to step up and offer this kid a full scholarship in football or something. This kid needs a chance from someone.
sacbunt Wrote:A very sad story about a wonderful football player and seems like a great kid. Pikeville College needs to step up and offer this kid a full scholarship in football or something. This kid needs a chance from someone.

They gave him a pretty good lot of money, but he dropped out.
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=6865077&page=1

If you saw this you would see that this kid has a horrible home life. He couldn't pay for anything. Lived in his truck in high school. Amazing stuff.
That's sad!

The kid tried to do all he could to live a better life.
sacbunt Wrote:http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=6865077&page=1

If you saw this you would see that this kid has a horrible home life. He couldn't pay for anything. Lived in his truck in high school. Amazing stuff.

I got about 10,000 in financial aid and I don't live no where near as bad a life as him, don't tell someone who lived right across the hall from him how bad of a life he has.

He has a laptop, a cell phone, his own car.
All I am going on is what I saw on television. Knew nothing about the situation until Diane Sawyer told me. You don't have to get excited.
Well now you're an informed customer.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Well now you're an informed customer.

Gee Son - You've bashed him on two threads now. What has he done to you? Why are you so dead set on turning everything about him negative. You seem to have a personal problem with him.
Grimm's story was truly inspiring.

I've read some of the comments, one even said they would like Shawn to come to Orlando and live with them and have him goto the Central Florida University until he gets on his feet. Amazing!
Nothing negative against him, thought he was an alright person, but he isn't at a disadvantage, some people in this area don't have any of the 3 things he has (cell, laptop, car)
BballFan63 Wrote:Gee Son - You've bashed him on two threads now. What has he done to you? Why are you so dead set on turning everything about him negative. You seem to have a personal problem with him.

I was thinking the same thing. I can't believe anyone would talk this way about a situation that this kid has no control over. I don't think a cell phone, laptop, and a car has anything to do with real life. He seems to have no one that cares about him. He has no "home." This story just really hit home. Amazing that someone would talk about someone who is having it this rough.
Watched most of this.

Truly a special and inspiring story.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Nothing negative against him, thought he was an alright person, but he isn't at a disadvantage, some people in this area don't have any of the 3 things he has (cell, laptop, car)

My heart hurt for this kid as well. Perhaps you have a little better insight than what was portrayed by the 20/20 story. I read the comments and people are literally offering for him to come and live with them and pay for him to go to college. Although I have mixed feelings about the show that was aired, maybe if one kid can be helped.....
Here is just one of the 600 comments:

I have started a new football training company called Athlete's Revolution in Knoxville, TN. Our staff is comprised of former SEC and NFL football players including Jayson Swain, Troy Fleming, Carl Stewart, Daniel Brooks, and others as well. Our company is brand new and is looking for athletes eager to reach out to local communities and train youth football players from age 4 all the way to professional athletes. We are a startup company, but are on the verge of something great. Hearing Shawn Grim's story tonight convicts my heart, and I would like to offer a job and maybe a chance to get his college education taken care of. Please call me or email me and let me know if we can make this happen. If nothing else I can send you more information about us via email, and we can move forward from there. Thanks.Evan BarrAthlete's RevolutionFounder/President865.599.8267ebarr89@yahoo.comwww.athletesrevolution.com
Mama Bear Wrote:My heart hurt for this kid as well. Perhaps you have a little better insight than what was portrayed by the 20/20 story. I read the comments and people are literally offering for him to come and live with them and pay for him to go to college. Although I have mixed feelings about the show that was aired, maybe if one kid can be helped.....

Yes I feel bad for Shawn, but I have lived with him, and he didn't have much of a work ethic to succeed in college, on the show he talked about wanting to get out and make a life, I didn't see that guy at Pikeville.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Yes I feel bad for Shawn, but I have lived with him, and he didn't have much of a work ethic to succeed in college, on the show he talked about wanting to get out and make a life, I didn't see that guy at Pikeville.

But wasn't he only there for 8 weeks or something like that? How well could you have really known him. Like I said on a different post, some of us are lucky to have a strong support system. He doesn't have that. Maybe he felt overwhelmed and fell back on what he's been raised knowing - to quit. I'm not saying that's the best, but give him a break. Maybe he deserves more breaks than most.
BballFan63 Wrote:But wasn't he only there for 8 weeks or something like that? How well could you have really known him. Like I said on a different post, some of us are lucky to have a strong support system. He doesn't have that. Maybe he felt overwhelmed and fell back on what he's been raised knowing - to quit. I'm not saying that's the best, but give him a break. Maybe he deserves more breaks than most.

He can get all the breaks he wants, people are offering to pay for his college, good for him. All I'm saying is for a kid that got on a documentary and said he wanted more out of his life, I didn't see that kid a few months later.
BballFan63 Wrote:But wasn't he only there for 8 weeks or something like that? How well could you have really known him. Like I said on a different post, some of us are lucky to have a strong support system. He doesn't have that. Maybe he felt overwhelmed and fell back on what he's been raised knowing - to quit. I'm not saying that's the best, but give him a break. Maybe he deserves more breaks than most.

Excellant post!
PC_You_Know Wrote:Yes I feel bad for Shawn, but I have lived with him, and he didn't have much of a work ethic to succeed in college, on the show he talked about wanting to get out and make a life, I didn't see that guy at Pikeville.

I hear what you are saying. It didn't look like that he has been taught much of a work ethic from his family. Maybe if that kid had some strong support and somebody to put a fire under his behind, he could hang in there and succeed. My guess is that his high school coach and probably some other adults in that area helped "push" him while he was in high school. Maybe he didn't have that in college. Hope he gets another chance.
The kid seems like he needs someone to bust his but to make him stay focused. I mean that in a good way,he has the talent to play the game and if he could get the right people in his life I would bet he could get it done in the classroom and then in life.
I have to admit that I was somewhat dismayed early in the week when I heard about this documentary. After watching I realized that not only did Shawn fall victim but 100's of young people are faced with this reality everyday. I wish this young man the very best, my dad always said "the game of life is beating the odds" may all the Shawns out there keep the dreams of life and stay the course and to see the fruits of their labor become reality!
Watched the show and all I'm going to say is that I feel sorry for the kid. I watched him play once and he was a pretty good football player. But while watching him he seemed lazy and thats understandable comming from a family that he came from. But can I ask this question if his home life is so bad then how come he went back home? If you want out as bad as he says he did you go to a college that will give you a full ride even if it's a college like Kentucky Christan. Watching him he obvisouly didn't want to make much of his life any way and like said in a previous thread how are you going to talk about people being poor and you have your own cell phone, computer and vehicle. Plus to make things even more intresting how do you get your class work down and sleep in the locker room. I bet this kid was given a little more help then they were trying to show on this show. It's tv they try to make things seem 10 times worst then what they really are.
I think ABC dramatized this documentary a bit. They act like there are no oppurtunities here to get a college education. Its like this, if you want to go to school, there are plenty of ways. People who drop out, are people who are lazy, and looking for an easy way out. Some people have a little drive in their life, some people don't. If you have a will to change, and break out from a generational curse, you can. But don't act like this area is a dead end, it would be the same in the middle of New York City.
So why did he quit school?
cctiger Wrote:Watched the show and all I'm going to say is that I feel sorry for the kid. I watched him play once and he was a pretty good football player. But while watching him he seemed lazy and thats understandable comming from a family that he came from. But can I ask this question if his home life is so bad then how come he went back home? If you want out as bad as he says he did you go to a college that will give you a full ride even if it's a college like Kentucky Christan. Watching him he obvisouly didn't want to make much of his life any way and like said in a previous thread how are you going to talk about people being poor and you have your own cell phone, computer and vehicle. Plus to make things even more intresting how do you get your class work down and sleep in the locker room. I bet this kid was given a little more help then they were trying to show on this show. It's tv they try to make things seem 10 times worst then what they really are.

I think that was the point of the show, people from Appalachia want to stay there regardless of the circumstances. Pikeville College is the closest college with a football program to Shawn. Pikeville is in Appalachia.

It's easy to make statements about "leaving" and not coming back when you have been raised in a stable home where you have been taught and "expected" to make a better life than your parents have. Poverty is a vicious cycle that is hard to get out of. That's why generations of people have received welfare from the government.
We are a product of our environment, it is hard to re-program a kid that has not been use to having anything. Why do you think the NFL has a program for rookies to prepare them for their new life style?
I felt so sorry for all the kids on there because they were being exploited in a sense. Someday they will look back on that and be extremely embarrassed. The whole incest thing was just uneccessary. BUT, I can't help but wonder if they were so poor, who paid for those tatoos, that cell, and that truck. When that phone rang, everyone in the room where I was just looked at each other mystified. My wife and I make pretty good money together and our second vehicle is not that nice. I swear it. People just seem to have their priorities twisted.
I have saw kids that when the food stamps and the check comes at the first of the month they over eat and get what they can, while they can. Because they know if they don't get it while they can, then others in the family will, or they might even trade what they have for drugs, cigarettes, or alcohol (items they can't buy with food stamps).

I think once you get this type of day to day mentality, almost survival, you lose sight of any type of long term goals. Therefore, getting a college education, having a nice home, owning a boat on the lake, or other luxury items are not important.
One thing for sure, I will never drink Mnt. Dew again.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5