Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 14th POY
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Who do you think is on track right now to win Player of the year honors in the 14th?
1. Tate Cox-Knott
2. Josh Whitaker-Hazard
3. Clay Maggard-PCC
4. Brent Hall-JBS
Depends on which player takes their team to the state tourney. Could be any of the first 3, with Hall being a dark horse if they get Collins back and Stepp has a good tourney.
I think, at this point, it is Tate's to lose. KCC has beaten all of the top teams at least once and he has been consistently good throughout.

While taking into account all of the best players off of the top teams, I would throw a few other names into the mix as potential dark horses:

Tristan Cackling of Estill Co. , who is as good offensively as any guard in the region and carries the load for the Engineers every night. He has, at least, one triple double this season and has a 40 pt. game under his belt.

Freshman Matt Day of Buckhorn. Matt is averaging a double-double for the season and has had several games in the high 20s and a couple of games over 30. As a freshman, POY is a bit of a stretch, but if he put up the same numbers as a jr. or sr., he would certainly be discussed especially considering that Buckhorn is a decent team this year.

Charlie Banks - LCC - he does as much as any one guy can do for a team. He can influence a game on both ends of the floor and on the boards. He truly does it all for a very good LCC team. His scoring numbers aren't as gaudy as some of the other players, but few players have the well rounded game that Banks has.

Robert Warren - Hazard - probably the most under-rated player on this Bulldog team. He is a physical presence on both ends and his offensive game has improved tremendously. Overall, he has been as valuable, at times, to this team as Whitaker.
I thhink it has to be a Senior. I would say that you are looking at Banks(LCC), Blank(Buckhorn),maggard(PCC), Warren(HHS),Christopher(Estill), or Cackling(Lee). just my opinion. The Jr. class is loaded but I think POY comes from Sr. class.
Windsprint Wrote:I thhink it has to be a Senior. I would say that you are looking at Banks(LCC), Blank(Buckhorn),maggard(PCC), Warren(HHS),Christopher(Estill), or Cackling(Lee). just my opinion. The Jr. class is loaded but I think POY comes from Sr. class.

I think that you meant Cackling (Estill), and Charles (Lee).
If it comes from the senior class, I would have to say:
1.Blank-Buckhorn plays hard, shoots very well and runs his team
2. Cackling-Estill great kid and plays hard every night, definitely their leader
3. Warren-Hazard does the hard work on the boards and does the small stuff
4. Maggard-PCC most consistant player for them
Windsprint Wrote:I thhink it has to be a Senior. I would say that you are looking at Banks(LCC), Blank(Buckhorn),maggard(PCC), Warren(HHS),Christopher(Estill), or Cackling(Lee). just my opinion. The Jr. class is loaded but I think POY comes from Sr. class.

This senior class is very under-rated in relation to the praise heaped upon the junior class, which is not undeserved. If it is a senior award, I would look at Banks, Blank, Cackling or Charles. With all due respect to Warren and Klay Maggard of PCC, all 4 of these kids have been key contributors for their programs for 4 years.

I would say that all have scored 1,000 pts. or more for their team. I heard on the Mtn. Sports Review that Blank is actually closing in on 1500 pts. for his career and has set the school 3 pt. record at Buckhorn. I'm not familiar with the numbers of the other 3 players, but I would definitely consider one of those 4 guys to be the senior POY.
I can't believe that I forgot Brent Hall of JBS. He would definitely be up there, as well. He is a warrior and has been since the day he stepped foot on the floor at JBS.
I am pretty sure Hall is a JR. I think that (Worker1) is correct that all the ones he mentioned are over 1,00 for their carreer(or will be). Banks missed his sophomore season with a broken foot but will go over 1,000 in his next game(he needs 5). Devin Blair( sr.point guard LCC) is already over 1,000 and has had a great carreer. I haven't kept up with Morgan at leslie co. this year, but iIthink he has been a 3-year starter as well. Who are some others?
It has to be Tate Cox or Klay Maggard
Klay Maggard or Andy Blank. Klay has worked his hindend off to be the player he is today. Andy Blank has been kicking butt and taking names for the past 4 years at Buckhorn. Any of these two boys are very well deserving. I sure will miss watching these two warriors play next season. Good luck to both of you boys in the future. Two great kids.
My vote would go to Tate Cox.

COY has to go to the coach at JBS.
I love Charlie Banks. He plays harder than any player I have ever saw. He scores, rebounds, and PASSES. He is my hero.
Does it have to be a Senior, or can Juniors and Sophmores be in the mix? Anyone know for sure? This would determine my decision.
If it is seniors i think my vote would go to Andy Blank. He has been the leader of Buckhorn for three years and played extremely well his freshman year.
Klay is in close running. He has not been the dominant player Blank has been for as long. The last two years he has been a force, though.
Blank is a great player and a good friend of mine but he is not even the best player on his team..but he is a great leader..if it goes to a senior it should be Klay Maggard because he can take a game and turn it around single handed
Brent Hall (JBS) in my opinion should with POY. He's a hosscat.
No award this year, this was post pwnd due to Clark Stepp's graduation
If this award has to go to a senior then my choice is Charlie Banks. He is the leader of a great team and has been for a while. His experience and play ability from last year won the the district title. He has played very good this year and his stats are very good. He has the most senior leadership out of all the seniors.

Now if it does not have to be a senior then everyone knows who would deserve it. Tate Cox is the best player in the region and if he don't win it, if it does not have to be a senior, then no other junior should win over Charlie Banks, or even Klay Maggard. He is the second best senior.

MY TOP 5(ALL GRADES)
1.Tate Cox
2. Charlie Banks
3. Klay Maggard
4. Josh Whitaker
5. Charles(LEE County)
bsm2008 Wrote:No award this year, this was post pwnd due to Clark Stepp's graduation

i heard the same thing.......but if for some crazy reason the award was given i would have to say it should go to clint clemons
Tate Cox or Josh Whitaker... The rest have a lot of catching up to do.
You have to go with Tate Cox.

He is the most consistent, most clutch, and best overall player in the 14th region.

His numbers night in and night out are amazing!

Josh Whitaker, Brent Hall, and Klay Maggard are a step behind Cox.
Cox
i think it has to be Tate Cox. he is the best player in the region and he consistent day in and day out.

after that i think it has to be
brent hall
klay maggard and
josh whitaker
I think Chris Lewis for Jackson City would be a good pick go POY.

uk96

I think it should come down to Tate Cox for KCC or Brent Hall at JBS. Tate has been great all year and has brought KC back to regional contention for the first time in a long time. If he leads KC to their first regional title since 1993 they will put a statue of him up on the courthouse steps in Hindman. Brent Hall has finally got to shine this year after being in a terrible situation the past few years where the system was dictated beyond the kids control. He is averaging close to a 20/20 which is ridiculous.

I also agree with someone else who posted earlier that Coach Cook from JBS should be coach of the year. He has done a good job this year under terrible conditions and only 8 players...
I would think Andy Blank's performance against LCC last night would put him right at the front of that list. He defended Charlie Banks as well as anyone has all year and still managed to score 22 on the offensive end while playing all 36:00 in the 4 quarters and overtime. He, also, went 6/6 from the line in OT and 10/11 for the game.
IMO, I think that POY should go to not the guy with the best stats but to the guy that is most valuable to his team. That if you take him off that team, they are not even close to as good with him. Brent Hall is my pick for POY because he is what drives that team. Yeah, he doesn't score all the points but he is to JBS as Jordan was with the bulls. Without him, they crumble. Brent hall hustles more than any player I see, he plays more physical than any player in the region, and he plays with more heart than any other player.
If the award is just for seniors then I'm going with Maggard or Banks.
If not, Cox.
I hope alot of fans got to see Estill Co play today in Jackson they might have seen the poy in the 14th play Cack is a player.
Pages: 1 2 3 4