Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Newport Central Catholic 67 - Notre Dame 41
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Congrats NCC
http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...PT0302/902

Winner, loser at loss for words
Neither expected thorough nature of 'Breds' rout

The team allowed too many layups? Could have been bad help-side defense. It didn't get many open looks at the basket? Maybe poor ball movement was the culprit.

So it was odd Thursday night at Notre Dame, when neither coach could identify what had just occurred.

"I don't know," said visiting coach Ron Dawn of Newport Central Catholic.

"I did not expect that," said Notre Dame coach Cheryl Darpel. "That game was just weird and wacky."

NewCath, ranked fifth in the Enquirer Northern Kentucky girls' basketball coaches' poll, walked into the gym of third-ranked Notre Dame and beat the Pandas 67-41. The Thoroughbreds took control of the game early and opened a 33-point lead early in the fourth quarter.

"We could play them a million times and I don't think that would ever happen again," Dawn said. "There'd be a lot of good games in there, and they might put it to us like that a couple times, but I don't know if that would ever happen again. It's just one of those things. Everything went our way. ... It's hard to explain."

One could start with defense. NewCath caused 20 tournovers and scored 22 points off turnovers. Junior guard Courtney Sandfoss led the effort with 10 steals to go with her game-high 21 points and six assists. After the Pandas took an early 6-4 lead, Sandfoss got her first steal and layup of the night, tying the game. The play sparked a 15-0 run that last midway through the second quarter.

Notre Dame cut the lead to 29-18 at the half, but Sandfoss again started a rally. She hit a 3-pointer that led to 13 unanswered points. At the end, NewCath led 42-18 midway through the third quarter.

"We all had to come out the second half ready to go," Sandfoss said. "That's the most important thing: the first three minutes of the second half. We had to be ready to play."

Everything went the Thoroughbreds' way.

They led Notre Dame in virtually every statistical category. They went to the free-throw line 24 times; Notre Dame went just seven times. NewCath senior guard Jane Giesler was 3-for-3 from 3-point range en route to a career-high 17 points. She even converted a 4-point play.

"Once we got going," Giesler said, "it seemed like we just kept playing better and better."

Newport Central Catholic (18-8) - Bartels 2 4 8, Sandfoss 7 6 21, Fryer 3 2 8, Schultz 0 1 1, Tabor 5 2 12, Giesler 6 2 17. Totals: 23 17 67.

Notre Dame (17-9 ) - Ludwig 1 0 2, Jackson 3 2 9, Albanese 0 2 2, Worland 1 0 2, Walker 7 0 15, Ammerman 1 0 2, Delph 4 1 9. Totals: 17 5 41.

NewCath 13 16 19 19 -67
Notre Dame 6 12 3 20 -41

3-pointers: NCC 4 (Sandfoss, Giesler 3); NDA 2 (Jackson, Walker).
Congrats!