Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 62nd District
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Reading another site it sounds like that seeding process has gotten crazy.....
What is the other site and what was it saying about the 62nd District seeding? Thanks
Yes... Things we're very bad.... Instead of myself trying to explain the situation and quotes just read this article by the daily independent... However, remember this was yesterday, before the KHSAA made the reverse ruling that there would be a coin flip to determine the 3rd and 4th seed... I actually agree with Perry on this one. That one game against Tates Creek was not a tournament, sorry... A tournament is where you can advance. Definitely a hairy situation...

http://www.dailyindependent.com/localspo...00748.html

Perry: ‘I feel like we’ve been treated unfairly’

Cougars not happy about seeding
By MARK MAYNARD - The Independent

GRAYSON — Morgan County boys basketball coach Matthew Perry was blunt when talking about the 62nd District Tournament meeting on Wednesday.

“I feel like we’ve been treated unfairly,” Perry said.

Perry’s claim came after the Cougars, who were one of three teams tied at 2-4 in the district standings, were given the No. 4 seed for the postseason tournament.

That means Morgan County will have to face powerhouse Elliott County in the opening round.

The Cougars became the No. 4 seed based on a third tiebreaker formula that ranks teams based on winning percentage of regular season, minus tournament games.

Tournament director Donald Damron, East Carter principal, asked for a directive from Kentucky High School Athletic Association assistant commissioner Julian Tackett about the tiebreaker and how it stood as of Wednesday.

His e-mailed reply had East Carter and West Carter at 10-4 and Morgan County at 12-6.

But Perry said one of East Carter’s games that should have been counted as a regular-season game was instead counted as a tournament game — the Commodore Classic in Tates Creek on the opening night of the season.

East Carter played only Tates Creek in that showcase, losing 62-46, but it was counted as a tournament game by the KHSAA. If that game was counted as a regular-season game, the Raiders would have been 10-5 and tied with the Cougars. A coin toss would have then determined the No. 3 and No. 4 seed.

“Like I told them in that meeting, if justice is done, it’s fair, and I lose a coin toss, I’ll take my fate,” Perry said. “I don’t think it was fair. My kids, in the last month, month-and-a-half, have played so hard to have a chance. That chance was taken away today because of some bogus assertion that a one-day event is a tournament.”

Perry said Morgan County wanted the chance to at least have a clarification from the KHSAA of what constitutes a tournament game.

“We’ve got a call into them but haven’t heard back,” he said Wednesday afternoon.

Elliott County, 22-2 and undefeated against region competition, finished 6-0 in the district. East Carter, West Carter and Morgan County were all 2-4.

The first tiebreaker is head-to-head, the second is point differential between the two teams that are tied.

East Carter officials felt that the spirit of the second tiebreaker would also include a three-way tie. But the KHSAA didn’t agree and neither did Perry.

“College educated people do not interpret that as three teams,” Perry said. “It says two. Two is two in Crocket, Izel and Cannel City, where I live.”

Voting delegates did change the wording, dropping the word “two” from the second tiebreaker.

But the third tiebreaker caused confusion in the meeting, with opinions varying.

Morgan County athletic director Chris Trusty said he wanted a clarification from the KHSAA on what determines a tournament game. In Tackett’s e-mail to Damron, he also said that everything had to be in by Feb. 15 but the tournament meeting could be pushed to that date to allow more games this week to determine the 2-3-4 seeding placements.

“I say we leave it in the hands of the kids,” Trusty said.

“That’s what we’ve done,” said East Carter athletic director and girls basketball coach Hager Easterling.

The voting delegates decided that the meeting wouldn’t be continued Sunday by a 2-1 vote with Elliott County abstaining and Trusty, who made the motion, voting for it. “I don’t have a dog in this fight,” said Elliott County principal Larry Salyers.

With that done, the seeding was set based on the standings supplied by Tackett.

The girls’ seeding was much easier with no tiebreakers necessary. Top seed Elliott County (6-0) plays West Carter (1-5) and East Carter (3-3) takes on Morgan County (2-4). The girls will play a doubleheader on Monday, Feb. 23, starting at 6 p.m. with the Elliott County-West Carter game. The second game follows 25 minutes after the first one.

The girls championship will be Thursday, Feb. 26, at 7 p.m.

The boys’ tournament will have games on Tuesday, Feb. 24 (Elliott County-Morgan County) and Wednesday, Feb. 25 (East Carter-West Carter) and the championship on Friday, Feb. 27. All of those games are at 7 p.m.

Tickets are $5 for adults and $4 for students.
Morgan won the flip.
East will play Elliott and Morgan will play West.