Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 14th Region Rankings, predictions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1. Leslie Co.- When you return nearly everyone to a team that was 1 win away from playing in RUPP, the consensus says you are probably going to be the team to beat the following year, and this is what these Eagles are.

2. Hazard- I know they have lost a ton of talent over the last 2 years, but in my opinion, they have the best scorer/guard in the region in Hicks. Throw in a tough inside game with Walker/Campbell, and the speed and quickness of Wallace and Williams, plus these kids having played together for so long, they know each other's tendencies as well as their own, and by the end of the year, this could be the team that everyone will be talking about. Plus the coaching of coach Spurlock, one of the best to get the most out of his talent.

3. PCC- The talent pool is never dry at Perry Central, and such is the case this season. With Amis, Willis, Gross, and the addition of Tyler Bailey, plus the veteran coach, Al Holland, and these Commodores will be there at the end trying to stamp another ticket to RUPP.

4. Lee Co.- It has been over 25 years since the Bobcats won a district title, but this group of Cats could get it done this season. When these seniors were freshmen, they won the 56th District Freshmen Tournament. Now they hope to duplicate that feat, ending their careers the same way they started, as district champs, and fight for a regional champinship.
You can bet Rich and Brandenburg will do all they can to make that happen.

5. Breathitt Co.- While there are probably teams who could fit into this position, and also the #4 position for that matter, my gut tells me that this group of coach Brian Hall-led Bobcats will be knocking on the door of a district championship, and duking it out for a regional championship. Not since the days of Pelphrey, Couch, Minix and Co. over in the 15th region has a group of sophomores had so much expectation, given the state championship this group won as 8th graders just 2 years ago, beating some of the very best middle school teams this state has to offer(Highlands, Lincoln Co., Corbin, etc.) Coach Hall has had great experience to make his coaching job somewhat easy the past 2 seasons, now he puts his expertise to the test, and I think he passes with flying colors.

As for predictions, in the 53rd, I have to go with the new team, LCC. Good talent, and a great coach!!

In the 54th, they still draw in that district, and the past few years, the top 2 teams have drawn each other. Many think Leslie and PCC are the top 2, and if they finally draw each other this season in the 1st round, look for the winner to come out on top again, as in years past, as champ.

In the 55th, I have to go with the Bobcats of Breathitt, as this group will start a run of keep a run of consecutive district championships going for the next 3 years.

And in the 56th, 25+ seasons is long enough, as Lee Co. will get the title, bringing some great pride back to Beattyville. Watch out for the Coldiron-coached Pirates as well, though.

Regional Champ- In a rematch of the 54th finals, and after a season of vast improvement making them a dangerous team, I predict a district runner-up goes to RUPP, and that will be the Hazard Bulldogs.
You may be laughing, but just you wait and see. There is talent there, and coach Spurlock will have them ready and well-prepared. Plus, the Dawgs are long overdue for a championship. Mark it down.

Now, let's hear from some of your thoughts and predictions.
As much as I, as a fan, would like to see the Bulldogs ranked this high, I can't see it this early in the season. I still think Leslie, Letcher, and PCC are the teams to beat. PCC have Amis returning along with the Kelly kid and new transfer, Bailey, plus they will always be tough due to them having 11 feeder schools. Leslie returns 7 of their top 9 from a good team last year. While Letcher Central return 4 starters from a good Letcher team last year, two starters from WBurg, and two starters from Neon, not to mention transfer Eli Warren. They also have the new attitude by being a new school and they have a proven coach to lead them. I think you also have to throw Lee Co in the mix due to returning their whole team, which has played together for a couple of years now. I think Hazard may be a top 5 team and maybe even higher as the season goes along but experience may play a key role with only one starter back, although he, Justin Hicks, is probably the best overall player in the region. Wolfe, Owsley, JBS, Breathitt, Knott, and Buckhorn could all play spoiler and one never knows what Estill brings to the table. The region is not near as strong as it has been the last few years but with that comes parity which could make for an exciting season for all teams involved.
You trade out LCC, Lee, Breathitt, and a few others from 4 on down.
The reason LCC is not ranked by me, is that those schools that have combined have not had much to write about, as far as GOOD success. They have had some decent success in the past couple of seasons, but nothing to write home about.
Plus, it is awfully hard to bring together kids from other schools and expect them to start winning. Which is why I give the nod to the other schools, because chemistry and experience together will win out in the end.

I do hope LCC has a great season, because I have always been a big fan of coach Justice.
i agree with you daredevil i think that hazard will make a run for the regional and district title..im not sayin that cuz i am a fan hazard has a great team this year...yes they have lost alot of talent but they have also gotten alot more and players have improved.....when it comes down to the regional and district tourny hazard will be ready and they will be the team to beat.
I can't wait to see, who is the team on top at the end of the year. Leslie, Hazard, and Perry all coming from the same district anything can happen. How will Day/Morgan play together, or how will Aims/Bailey play together, or can Hicks/Walker take a young team to Rupp. Can't wait to see what happens.

The team at Rupp will come from this district.
It was just confirmed to me today, from a very reliable source, that Justin Wallace is going to play this season for the Bulldogs, giving them another GREAT defender, even more speed, a very, very good ball handler, and someone who can rebound very well from the guard position.

This good bit of news now definitely makes Hazard a top contender for both the district and regional title!!!!!

AND a legit number 2 team in the preseason, behind Leslie, and just in front of PCC.
that is good that justin is playing im shore his brother is very happy because i had heard rumors that if wallace didnt play his brother wasnt goin to.....so with those two hicks walker and williams this team is goin to be very dangerous
I think Leslie will win the 14th but i think hazard will have a good shot at it ,they are kinda young with jus 2 or 3 seniors but they could make some noise come feb but im pickin leslie to win the 14th this yr
i agree fear the d leslie is a big team and with the return of hendrix to help with the defense leslieshould win the 14th!