Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Who are the Best coaches in Eastern Kentucky?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I derived this from the thread on Chuke. Who are the best coaches in Eastern Kentucky, past and present?

In No Specific Order:

Ashland - Herb Conley
Ashland - Vic Marsh
Russell - Ivan McGlone
Raceland/Boyd County/Johnson Central - Bill Tom Ross
Ironton (OH) - Bob Lutz
Bell County - Dudley Hilton
Johnson Central/Sheldon Clark - Jim Matney
Rockcastle - Tom Larkey (maybe?)
I would have to say one would be Shawn Hager Sheldon Clark he turned the team around and he will be able to lead the cards in the right direction iin the future.
Hillard Howard-Pikeville
3 state titles
2(I believe)state runner up
coached KY all-stars to win over Tenn all-stars when Tenn dominated the series. One of the best all-time coaches in EKY.
haywood
In no paticular order my list would look like:

Hillard Howard
Mike Holcomb
Ivan McGlone
Phillip Haywood
Jim Matney
Tom Larkey
Dudley Hilton

I think Shawn Hagger is doing a good job at SC and could be on this list in the future, but he has been there for 2 years. He has not put himself in this elite group as of yet. He is an extremley competitve and a hard worker, but has done nothing to be mentioned with these legends. I think given time he will earn his place in this disscussion but lets wait a little while before we add him to this group of coaches who have been doing it for a long time.
Hillard Howard
Mike Holcomb
Haywood
Hilton
Larkey
Matney
Matney's Prodigey Wrote:In no paticular order my list would look like:

Hillard Howard
Mike Holcomb
Ivan McGlone
Phillip Haywood
Jim Matney
Tom Larkey
Dudley Hilton

I think Shawn Hagger is doing a good job at SC and could be on this list in the future, but he has been there for 2 years. He has not put himself in this elite group as of yet. He is an extremley competitve and a hard worker, but has done nothing to be mentioned with these legends. I think given time he will earn his place in this disscussion but lets wait a little while before we add him to this group of coaches who have been doing it for a long time.

Good list....I agree 100% with all of the coaches on your list.
No one is going to mention David Mitchell, who fields competitive teams at a split county school that has barely over 125 boys enrolled? Lynn Camp, which is located in Corbin, has no community support and is practically considered Knox central's ugly sister. What dave has done there deserves the utmost respect, as among coaches he is one of the top picks.
hager is good but not an elite coach yet let him get his feet wet first
I mean to put Pikeville and Belfry's coaches on the list but couldn't remember their names. All the lists look good. Anyone to mention from the past?
DangerousA Wrote:No one is going to mention David Mitchell, who fields competitive teams at a split county school that has barely over 125 boys enrolled? Lynn Camp, which is located in Corbin, has no community support and is practically considered Knox central's ugly sister. What dave has done there deserves the utmost respect, as among coaches he is one of the top picks.
Hey now lynn camp has a bunch of support... it may not be in a select area but across Knox county and other parts of the state they have a bunch heck I even hear of a few campers as far north as Louisville. But yeah Coach Mitchell, Coach Larkey, and Coach Hilton all get my vote.
ttt
Hillard Howard
Ed Vanhoose

2 of the best coaches there ever has been
Vanhoose knows more about football then what I know about myself
BGR should give out a coaches award at the end of the year
You'd have to go with Coach Walter Brugh of Paintsville. Brugh began his coaching career at Paintsville with a 10-1 season in 1956. When he retired in 1995 Brugh was the all-time winning high school football coach in the state with 279 wins!
Haywood & Howard
Walter Brugh was a hell of a coach..He still helps with grade school teams dosnt he??
shafter9 Wrote:Walter Brugh was a hell of a coach..He still helps with grade school teams dosnt he??

He sure does, as well as helping do play by play on the radio at the High School games.
Current Coaches Matney, Haywood and Hilton

Past Coach Brugh
Philip Haywood
Jim Matney
Dudley Hilton
Hillard Howard
Jack Hall
Haywood, Hillard, and Eric Ratliff.
coach mitchell gets my vote on this one.
i think that phillip haywood coach of the belfry pirates is the best coach in eastern ky
I agree with blackcatfan48 that Philip Haywood is the best
BlackcatFootball08 Wrote:I agree with blackcatfan48 that Philip Haywood is the best

:rock: I agree.

and Welcome to BGR blackcatfootball08:rock:
Snoopy Wrote:Hillard Howard
Ed Vanhoose

2 of the best coaches there ever has been
Vanhoose knows more about football then what I know about myself

I agree Coach Vanhoose was a great coach. Where all did he coach at

I know of Johnson Central from 76-78
6 - 4, 9 - 2 and 6 - 5
and at Middleboro, Boyd Co.
Coach Mitchell and Coach Parker LC Wildcats, both get my vote. I love to watch these guys and judge them not by how they play but by how they are with the kids and their relationships with them, and apparently the coachin must be doin' somethin we are 7-2 for the season...
ooh-rah_hitgurl Wrote:Coach Mitchell and Coach Parker LC Wildcats, both get my vote. I love to watch these guys and judge them not by how they play but by how they are with the kids and their relationships with them, and apparently the coachin must be doin' somethin we are 7-2 for the season...

Lynn Camp plays thier best football in the playoffs always. Thats a good sign of a well coached football team.
Yupsys. I know that much, my hats off to these two amazing coaches that i may add i think the world and all of. They are great at what they do, and how they do it, if nothing else they should be awarded for that...
Pages: 1 2