Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Holmes 53 - Hazard 40
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final
Not bad..Congrats Holmes
Holmes toyed with them the whole game. I go to holmes and know almost everyone on the teams name but they put one person in for at least a quarter or so worth of minutes who I have seen, but do not know the name of. (It was # 20)

The coaching staff for Hazard dissapointed me greatly. At one time a coach slammed his clipboard on the gym floor looking for a foul when his team was pushing off and throwing elbows all night.

I hate to disrespect a fan base, but Hazard seemed like "punks" tonight. They got extremely too physical and I guess they were mad that Holmes was disrespecting them. I was ashamed of holmes and hazard today.

Only player I saw some promise in, tonight at least, for Hazard was Josh Whitaker. Very quick and passes instead of trying to score all the points. He still got points but the offense was his first priority.

Elijah Pittman sat for majority of the game and some bench warmer got very good minutes at the 1/2. Ricardo hit at least 2 three's tonight(back-to-back).

When I find any stats I shall post them
Hazard sat in a 2-1-2 zone the whole game to force Holmes to work for their shots.

First quarter Hazard played Holmes tough and actually held an 8-6 lead with 2:34 left in the first quarter. This would be their only lead of the game though as Riley came down and knocked down a 3 to put Holmes up 9-8 and then Rico got an "and one" on the next possession to give Holmes a 12-8 advantage. Hazard responded with a bucket of their own and Holmes led 12-10 after one.

Second quarter Holmes jumped on Hazard and went on an 11-3 run to start the quarter and give them a 23-12 advantage at the 2:09 mark. The run was keyed by back to back 3's from Riley and D. Johnson as well as nice buckets from Arnold and Housely. Holmes would head in to the locker room up 25-15 at the half.

Third quarter Holmes came out and put an 8-0 run on Hazard to give them a 33-17 lead with 2:40 left until the fourth. Hazard responded with a 4-0 run to close within 12 at 33-21, but back to back 3's by Rico, with one coming at the buzzer gave Holmes a 39-21 advantage heading in to the fourth quarter.

Fourth quarter Holmes started getting a little sloppy and Hazard was able to creep back in the game by pressing. Hazard went on a 6-0 run to start the fourth to close within 12 at 39-27 but a big bucket by Pittman put Holmes back up 14. Hazard went on another 5-0 run to close the gap to 41-32 with 3:51 to play, but another bucket down low by...guess who...Pittman put them back up 11 at 43-32. The rest of the game was pretty back and forth with Holmes holding an 8-10 point lead and Holmes sealed the deal at the line as Hazard couldn't force any turnovers with their press and was forced to foul Holmes. Rico, JJ, DJ, and Riley combined to go 7-8 down the stretch from the charity stripe to give Holmes the final of 53-40.

For Hazard nobody really stood out to me. If Whitaker is the best player in the 14th though, that region must lack talent big time. I was very unimpressed with him. He goes to the rim hard and has decent ball handling but is very inconsistent with his shot.

For Holmes, it was a pretty lackluster performance. None of the players really looked too interested and at times there was a lot of standing around. Definetly not the same Holmes team I saw last night against Highlands, but then again this was a good scheduling move by Henley to play a late game last night and then turn around and play less than 24 hours later against a team that we'll likely be seeing at Rupp. Should prepare them for the same schedule they'd see at Rupp, having to play back to back like that.
Scoring stats

Hazard 10 5 6 19 40

Holmes 12 13 14 14 53

R Johnson 16
J Riley 12
D Johnson 10
J Johnson 5
E Pittman 4
K Arnold 4
Housley 2

Three-Pointers: R. Johnson-3,Riley-3,D. Johnson-2
Congrats to both teams.
The 9th region is the hardest region in the state for an out of region team to go into and win.
Wow, Nice effort from the Dawgs! Congrats Holmes.
congrats Holmes. good job by hazard
I'm impressed that Hazard made it a tough one to come by for Holmes.

Congrats to both teams!
Good win for Holmes...
Hazard 10 5 6 19 40

Holmes 12 13 14 14 53

Hazard (18-7) -- Whitaker 17, Warren 12, Jones 7, Martin 2, Kidd 2.
Holmes (23-1) -- R. Johnson 16, Riley 12, D. Johnson 10, J. Johnson 5, Pittman 4, Arnold 4, Housley 2.
Holmes/UKfan Wrote:Holmes toyed with them the whole game. I go to holmes and know almost everyone on the teams name but they put one person in for at least a quarter or so worth of minutes who I have seen, but do not know the name of. (It was # 20)

The coaching staff for Hazard dissapointed me greatly. At one time a coach slammed his clipboard on the gym floor looking for a foul when his team was pushing off and throwing elbows all night.

I hate to disrespect a fan base, but Hazard seemed like "punks" tonight. They got extremely too physical and I guess they were mad that Holmes was disrespecting them. I was ashamed of holmes and hazard today.

Only player I saw some promise in, tonight at least, for Hazard was Josh Whitaker. Very quick and passes instead of trying to score all the points. He still got points but the offense was his first priority.

Elijah Pittman sat for majority of the game and some bench warmer got very good minutes at the 1/2. Ricardo hit at least 2 three's tonight(back-to-back).

Is Pittman hurt. Didn't play yesterday did he?
Holmes/UKfan Wrote:Holmes toyed with them the whole game. I go to holmes and know almost everyone on the teams name but they put one person in for at least a quarter or so worth of minutes who I have seen, but do not know the name of. (It was # 20)

I knew Hazard wouldnt win this game, but i though the score would be a blow out. I got Homes pick to win the title this year. Josh Whitaker is a good player, i think Pitino is looking at him. If he go to UofL, they will get a good player. To me he look like Ford back when he play at UK. Fast with the ball and know how to pass.
None of the top teams have been blowing many teams out of late. I think it's the lack of getting tested.
Way to hang with the big guys, Hazard.
Congrats Holmes, continue to work hard Dawgs!! It's almost tournament time!!
Congrats Holmes, Way to hang in there HHS!
Congratulations to both teams, Holmes for the win and Hazard for going into their gym and hanging in their and not letting this become a blowout! Also, I hope coach Holland is doing well, as he was hospitalized with blood pressure problemjs after the Powell County game and was not on the sidllines at Holmes. Coach Whitaker and the assistants did a fine job of filling in for him and hopefullly he will return to the sidelines this week.

Keep up the good work Hazard!
Stardust Wrote:Is Pittman hurt. Didn't play yesterday did he?

I hope not. And he did play the highlands game. He had a crazy windmill dunk at the end to finish a 3-4 dunk night. But against hazard, he did not play long (as you can tell by him only scoring 5)
Congrats Holmes.

uk96

Holmes/UKfan Wrote:Hazard sat in a 2-1-2 zone the whole game to force Holmes to work for their shots.

First quarter Hazard played Holmes tough and actually held an 8-6 lead with 2:34 left in the first quarter. This would be their only lead of the game though as Riley came down and knocked down a 3 to put Holmes up 9-8 and then Rico got an "and one" on the next possession to give Holmes a 12-8 advantage. Hazard responded with a bucket of their own and Holmes led 12-10 after one.

Second quarter Holmes jumped on Hazard and went on an 11-3 run to start the quarter and give them a 23-12 advantage at the 2:09 mark. The run was keyed by back to back 3's from Riley and D. Johnson as well as nice buckets from Arnold and Housely. Holmes would head in to the locker room up 25-15 at the half.

Third quarter Holmes came out and put an 8-0 run on Hazard to give them a 33-17 lead with 2:40 left until the fourth. Hazard responded with a 4-0 run to close within 12 at 33-21, but back to back 3's by Rico, with one coming at the buzzer gave Holmes a 39-21 advantage heading in to the fourth quarter.

Fourth quarter Holmes started getting a little sloppy and Hazard was able to creep back in the game by pressing. Hazard went on a 6-0 run to start the fourth to close within 12 at 39-27 but a big bucket by Pittman put Holmes back up 14. Hazard went on another 5-0 run to close the gap to 41-32 with 3:51 to play, but another bucket down low by...guess who...Pittman put them back up 11 at 43-32. The rest of the game was pretty back and forth with Holmes holding an 8-10 point lead and Holmes sealed the deal at the line as Hazard couldn't force any turnovers with their press and was forced to foul Holmes. Rico, JJ, DJ, and Riley combined to go 7-8 down the stretch from the charity stripe to give Holmes the final of 53-40.

For Hazard nobody really stood out to me. If Whitaker is the best player in the 14th though, that region must lack talent big time. I was very unimpressed with him. He goes to the rim hard and has decent ball handling but is very inconsistent with his shot.

For Holmes, it was a pretty lackluster performance. None of the players really looked too interested and at times there was a lot of standing around. Definetly not the same Holmes team I saw last night against Highlands, but then again this was a good scheduling move by Henley to play a late game last night and then turn around and play less than 24 hours later against a team that we'll likely be seeing at Rupp. Should prepare them for the same schedule they'd see at Rupp, having to play back to back like that.

I dont know where you get your information about the 14th but there are plenty of good players in the region. I dont know who told you that Whitaker was the best player in the 14th but hunt them down and slap them for lying to you. That honor belongs to Mr Tate Cox.....Come watch him play....
uk96 Wrote:I dont know where you get your information about the 14th but there are plenty of good players in the region. I dont know who told you that Whitaker was the best player in the 14th but hunt them down and slap them for lying to you. That honor belongs to Mr Tate Cox.....Come watch him play....

I agree, Tate is the best player in the region, but Whitaker is not far behind.
Not A Bad Showing For A Mountain Team Playing One Of The Top 2 Teams In The State. I Figured It To End Up Worse. And It May Not Have Made A Huge Difference But Hazard Was Without Their Coach.

In this post you stated that the only player you saw some promise in was Josh Whitaker?

Holmes/UKfan Wrote:Hazard sat in a 2-1-2 zone the whole game to force Holmes to work for their shots.

Then your very next post you say nobody from Hazard stood out to you and that you was very unimpressed with him. Which one is it? You are talking out of both sides of your mouth????