Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: KSR's Top 15 Recruits for 2009
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1. Tim Patterson - LB 6′5 235 - Louisville/Central HS
If you don’t already know, he’s probably the best recruit to come out of the state since Micah. Not much needs to be said about Patterson other then he’s simply heads and shoulders the best prospect in the state and maybe a four or five star recruit.
2. Miles Simpson - RB 6′2 195 - Independence/Simon Kenton HS
He had an unbelievable year this past season literally carrying his team to the 6A state finals on his back. Simpson has decent speed and could make a move to defensive back at the next level if things don’t work out at running back. Has offers from Kentucky and Louisville.
3. Austin Collinsworth - WR/S 6′1 180 - Fort Thomas/Highlands HS
The son of the great Chris Collinsworth, who starred at the University of Florida and for many years in the NFL. Chris’ allegiences to Florida will matter little, as his mother is a former UK cheerleader. Austin is a smart, heady football player who finds ways to make plays. Versatility could give him a look at safety at the next level. Already has an offer from Kentucky.
4. Tate Nichols - TE 6′7 225 - Union/Ryle HS
Good offers are already on the table for this huge tight end who could eventually get moved to offensive line. Certainly got the frame work to put on some weight. Needs to improve his foot work, but at 6-7, that can be overlooked.
5. Stephen Robinson - WR 5′9 165 - Louisville/Central HS
Louisville and Illinois already offered him. He’s a deep threat receiver, but a little on the small side. Regardless, teams will offer Robinson just for the simple sake in getting an in-house ear to Patterson. Robinson could help out at defensive back or kick returner for someone at the next level.
6. Antonio Andrews - QB/WR/CB 6′0 175 - Fort Campbell/HS
I watched Andrews do everything but mow the grass in a dominating performance against Fort Knox. I don’t know where he’ll play at the next level, as he’s currently a quarterback, or if he’ll get a strong look because of his size, but there is zero doubt this kid is a football player. Poor competition might hurt him in 2A, but he had over 370 all-purpose yards in the championship game for crying out loud.
7. Quan Weaver - RB/CB 5′11 175 - Frankfort/HS
Banks or Weaver could go in this spot. I think Weaver’s faster, so I’ll hold him here. He was MVP of his county this past year and ran for over 2,000 yards for the Panthers. He runs a 4.4 forty and I believe around an 11-flat in the 100-meter. Much like EJ Fields, he’s got the track mentality at times on the football field and tries to burn everyone. He’s raw, but another nice looking athlete for someone to play around with.
8. Kevin Connaughton - OL, 6′4, 265 - Covington/Catholic
Kevin was pretty darn good at the Scout combine winning underclassman honors for his efforts. I’m not sure how his height will effect him, but he’s one to watch.
9. Tyrrell Willis - RB/LB 6-3, 235 - Murray/Calloway County
Consider me biased as I watched him plow through the record books the past two years. He’s got a chance with his size to make a play for one of the top spots in the state. I’m surprised he doesn’t get more consideration for Mr. Football. Reminds me of Eric Shelton.
10. Troy Turner - RB/LB 6′0 200 - Fort Campbell/HS
Production wide, he’s right up there with other backs in the state and he’s a perfect compliment in the backfield to Andrews, but he has the same issues as everyone else with where he plays at the next level. He seems to run well with his weight, so the idea of moving him to linebacker might be a possibility.
11. VaShun Banks - RB/CB 5′11 171 - Hopkinsville/Christian Co
He ran for over 1,000 yards and 16 touchdowns as a junior and has some breakaway speed despite still learning how to run with the football. Could probably make the transition to corner at the next level. Very similar to other athletes that have come out of this region in the past. Very speedy guy who makes people miss.
12. Jermiah Neal - RB 5′10 185 Louisville/St. Xavier
Neal got some playing time and impressed after Deuce Finchwent down with an injury early on in the season and Coach Glaser wanted to save his horses for the playoff stretch. Neal picked up the slack. Track kid that will run well this summer.
13. Harris Biven - OL, 6′3, 285 - Owensboro/Apollo
Hard to overlook Biven because he’s such a big kid. I wonder how much he’ll grow, if anything, and how serious some of the attention he’s getting is, though.
14. Brandon Roller - LB 6-2, 225 - Fort Thomas/Highlands
This kid is a just a flat-out football player. Hits like a truck. You simply cannot overlook his production as a football player the past two years. He’s been one of the best linebackers in the state every single season and has different game speed. I don’t know if he’s UK material, but someone will get a good one.
15. Charles Quainoo - RB, 5′11, 175 - Florence/Boone Co.
From Shawn Alexander’s neck of the wood, Quainoo ripped through Kentucky HS last year, but he has to get his speed up if he wants to become an elite prospect. He’s already getting interest from a ton of schools.
————————————————————–
Aaron Watts - RB/WR/CB 6-2, 175 - Stearns/McCreary Central
Jacob Russell - QB, 6′4, 225 - Lawrenceburg/Anderson Co.
Eric Shaw - CB, 5′9, 175 - Lexington/Lafayette HS
Tyler Grubbs - OL/DL 6′6 285 - Fort Thomas/Highlands
Channing Fugate - RB/LB, 6′2, 225 - Jackson/Breathitt Co.
Mason Kelly - OL/DL, 6′3, 285 - Louisville/Bullitt East HS
Dominique Hayden - RB, 5-8, 220 - Lexington/Christian HS
Neil Wilson - WR, 6-2, 225 - Tompkinsville/Monroe County
Bryan Hynes - OL 6′6, 260 - Louisville/Fern Creek HS
Aaron Nance - WR, 6-4, 195 - Louisville/Seneca
Ryan Moses - QB, 6′4, 235 - /Williamsburg

http://new.kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=13550
Thanks for sharing this BCA, this is great info.
3,000+ yards as a junior and having a chance to be the states all-time leading rusher and you aren't one of the top 15 recruits in your own class??? Amazing.
IRISH4 Wrote:3,000+ yards as a junior and having a chance to be the states all-time leading rusher and you aren't one of the top 15 recruits in your own class??? Amazing.

I think it has something to do with who he has played against.
IRISH4 Wrote:3,000+ yards as a junior and having a chance to be the states all-time leading rusher and you aren't one of the top 15 recruits in your own class??? Amazing.

The only stats that really matter in recruiting are 40 time, height, weight, shuttle time, and bench press.

Matewan, WV had a kid who set the National Rushing record in a single game and put up similar numbers...I don't even know if he even made it to NAIA ball.
I have seen most of those players and Fugate deserves to be up in the rankings. He is a monster not matter the competition. He will be a big time TE in college wait and see.

Thanks for the info.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:The only stats that really matter in recruiting are 40 time, height, weight, shuttle time, and bench press.

Matewan, WV had a kid who set the National Rushing record in a single game and put up similar numbers...I don't even know if he even made it to NAIA ball.

You are right. And that will only get you and interview for what comes next.
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:I have seen most of those players and Fugate deserves to be up in the rankings. He is a monster not matter the competition. He will be a big time TE in college wait and see.

Thanks for the info.

I agree with this... I think if you did this ranking based on who is the best "football player" he would be #2 behind Patterson and in front of Andrews from Ft. Campbell.

Sadly it takes alot more than that to get college cach's attention.
I have the feeling that Fugate will go through much of the same situations that Dalton Cissell did from North Bullitt with recruiting.
I've seen 8 of the 15 kids listed as top recruits and several of the next 11, and I can say very confidently that more than one or two are there based solely on size and potential. I realize KSR is talking about the top recruits (and not necessarily the top 15 high school football players) and that the kids listed can improve significantly for their senior year, but at this point I would not even consider some of them above average high school football players.

And I normally don't "rag" on any high school kid's selection to these types of lists, but because he's listed first and KSR gushed on him, I have to say I watched Patterson play three times live this past season (Western, Highlands and in the state game) and watched him on tape two other games, and the kid just didn't impress me all that much. The fact the kid is tall, big and plays linebacker must be why colleges are enamored with him. I genuinely hope the kid lives up to the hype, but I just haven't seen it on the field. What will be interesting this year to see is how Patterson fares defensively with Cobble and Wilson gone and offenses no longer concentrating so heavily on those two.

Not sure why Fugate wasn't in the top 15. While I only got to see him once, he impressed me more than the Banks kid from Christian County did. Banks is a decent running back with very nice speed, but other than one nice run against Highlands, he didn't do very much.

In any event, I wouldn't get too worked up with this list either way. It's one person's opinion and is no more credible than many other folks' opinions. Congrats to all the kids listed. I hope you work hard to prove me and any other naysayers wrong, and to any kid not listed that believes he should be listed, work just as hard to prove KSR wrong.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:The only stats that really matter in recruiting are 40 time, height, weight, shuttle time, and bench press.

Those "paper stats" that colleges look for really hurt them in missing out on good players. I've always thought, yes it is great to have those attributes but if you can't play the game of football what good is it going to do you and the school in giving you a full ride. I've seen some kids that looked amazing on paper, but couldn't walk and chew bubble gum at the same time.
This is the opinion of one idiot.No different than if you or I was to make a list.Don't amount to a hill of beans.If you follow the link he even admits to being bias to Lex and Ville schools.
There are many excellent players who didn't make the list. Time will tell. The season doesn't begin for a while and then it will get interesting.
God i Hope UK gets Patterson, Tim that is!

This is 100% right.
I agree with Bobcat Dad, Harlan County played Breathitt twice this year and I said that Fugate would be a tight end in college, but that's just my opinion. While I'm stating my opinion just looks like to me this list is minus a lot of mountain talent. But I guess the mountain boys don't really get a lot of exposure unless they make it state.
This is pretty accurate list of top players.

Fugate is better than Cissell from North Bullitt, yes they both put up big numbers over the last couple of seasons, but Fugate is more complete

I belive that Tyrell Willis is heads above the rest of the state as a true RB, he could be the most talented big man i have ever seen, at any level, he would start at FB for UK right now.

Fugate just doesnt change directions fast enough. The wide blocking schemes of BHS offense aids him in running the football, but when he gets bottled up he just cant bounce of it. Time will tell with his recruitment, There is a reason he isnt listed on a single recruiting website .

Look at Two of the top passers in the history of Kentucky football. Zach Lewis, and Ricky Bowling. Lewis to msu, and Bowling i havnt heard anything. Numbers dont mean anything to a college coach. So throw it out the window.

What will decide his fate will be.

40 time
5-10-5 shuttle.
Power Clean.
Bench

and how far BHS makes it in the playoffs.
Iceboxx
I agree that Fugate is better than Cissell. He is much faster, maybe not as strong. The TE projection might be right on. Don't think the colleges will give him the chance to play running back in college. Not that he can't(which I don't really know) but I don't think they will give him the chance.
I do see one MAJOR problem with list list and that is this:
"Bryan Hynes - OL 6′6, 260 - Louisville/Fern Creek HS"

He is at Fern Creek, he is 6'6" but he is a QB and weighs about 190. He is also being recruited by about 15 D-1 Schools and will likely be the #1 QB Recruit from Kentucky in the class of 2010. He has already thrown for 65 TD's and about 6000 yards he has film on youtube. He is an Elite 11 QB, Tom Lemming ranked him. How does he not only miss the top 15 but get listed at the wrong position and size?

He and Neal at St X are former youth league teammates. They were standing way out in about 7th grade as having D1 potential. Hynes needs to be on the list Neal needs to be much higher on the list IMO. I saw Andrews of Ft Campbell and Hynes go head to head in 7 on 7 at UK last summer. Andrews cannot hold a candle to Hynes. Find his film check him out, I understand out the state sometimes L'Ville kids aren't too popular, but these two are big time talents.
I can honestly say that I also see a problem with a player missing on this list and it's: Matthew Axline 6'5" and 290 pound junior from Shelby County high school. I know that he plays for a bad football team, but don't punish the kid because the program is bad. Matthew has a great frame to put on another 20-30 pounds of muscle at the next level and has a great work ethic along with great foot work for a kid his size. I really look forward seeing him play during his senior year at Shelby County.

I honestly believe that if Matthew was at Trinity or St. X he would have already been offered several division 1 scholarships because of the type of programs that these schools have, but since he plays for a team that only won 1 football game, that hurts him....
GridronGuru Wrote:I do see one MAJOR problem with list list and that is this:
"Bryan Hynes - OL 6′6, 260 - Louisville/Fern Creek HS"

He is at Fern Creek, he is 6'6" but he is a QB and weighs about 190. He is also being recruited by about 15 D-1 Schools and will likely be the #1 QB Recruit from Kentucky in the class of 2010. He has already thrown for 65 TD's and about 6000 yards he has film on youtube. He is an Elite 11 QB, Tom Lemming ranked him. How does he not only miss the top 15 but get listed at the wrong position and size?

He and Neal at St X are former youth league teammates. They were standing way out in about 7th grade as having D1 potential. Hynes needs to be on the list Neal needs to be much higher on the list IMO. I saw Andrews of Ft Campbell and Hynes go head to head in 7 on 7 at UK last summer. Andrews cannot hold a candle to Hynes. Find his film check him out, I understand out the state sometimes L'Ville kids aren't too popular, but these two are big time talents.

I had never really heard much about this kid. Thanks for the info.

I dont think comparing him and Andrews is a fair shake though. Andrews assets are his feet and speed, the fact he can throw the ball is an added bonus. He is a pure Duel-Threat whereas Hynes is more pro-style.
Navajo4life Wrote:I can honestly say that I also see a problem with a player missing on this list and it's: Matthew Axline 6'5" and 290 pound junior from Shelby County high school. I know that he plays for a bad football team, but don't punish the kid because the program is bad. Matthew has a great frame to put on another 20-30 pounds of muscle at the next level and has a great work ethic along with great foot work for a kid his size. I really look forward seeing him play during his senior year at Shelby County.

I honestly believe that if Matthew was at Trinity or St. X he would have already been offered several division 1 scholarships because of the type of programs that these schools have, but since he plays for a team that only won 1 football game, that hurts him....

I think the same could be said for Bivin of Apollo. his kid has all the makings of an excellent lineman but Apollo was not a very good team either.
The Iceboxx Wrote:This is pretty accurate list of top players.

Fugate is better than Cissell from North Bullitt, yes they both put up big numbers over the last couple of seasons, but Fugate is more complete

I belive that Tyrell Willis is heads above the rest of the state as a true RB, he could be the most talented big man i have ever seen, at any level, he would start at FB for UK right now.

Fugate just doesnt change directions fast enough. The wide blocking schemes of BHS offense aids him in running the football, but when he gets bottled up he just cant bounce of it. Time will tell with his recruitment, There is a reason he isnt listed on a single recruiting website .

Look at Two of the top passers in the history of Kentucky football. Zach Lewis, and Ricky Bowling. Lewis to msu, and Bowling i havnt heard anything. Numbers dont mean anything to a college coach. So throw it out the window.

What will decide his fate will be.

40 time
5-10-5 shuttle.
Power Clean.
Bench

and how far BHS makes it in the playoffs.

Lewis proved his worth with 4 D-1 offers and picked MSU for his future aspirations. The numbers he put up got him lots and lots of looks and then offers. The numbers are the first thing college coaches hear about, then they get into specifics.
Numbers open doors.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:1. Tim Patterson - LB 6′5 235 - Louisville/Central HS
If you don’t already know, he’s probably the best recruit to come out of the state since Micah. Not much needs to be said about Patterson other then he’s simply heads and shoulders the best prospect in the state and maybe a four or five star recruit.
2. Miles Simpson - RB 6′2 195 - Independence/Simon Kenton HS
He had an unbelievable year this past season literally carrying his team to the 6A state finals on his back. Simpson has decent speed and could make a move to defensive back at the next level if things don’t work out at running back. Has offers from Kentucky and Louisville.
3. Austin Collinsworth - WR/S 6′1 180 - Fort Thomas/Highlands HS
The son of the great Chris Collinsworth, who starred at the University of Florida and for many years in the NFL. Chris’ allegiences to Florida will matter little, as his mother is a former UK cheerleader. Austin is a smart, heady football player who finds ways to make plays. Versatility could give him a look at safety at the next level. Already has an offer from Kentucky.
4. Tate Nichols - TE 6′7 225 - Union/Ryle HS
Good offers are already on the table for this huge tight end who could eventually get moved to offensive line. Certainly got the frame work to put on some weight. Needs to improve his foot work, but at 6-7, that can be overlooked.
5. Stephen Robinson - WR 5′9 165 - Louisville/Central HS
Louisville and Illinois already offered him. He’s a deep threat receiver, but a little on the small side. Regardless, teams will offer Robinson just for the simple sake in getting an in-house ear to Patterson. Robinson could help out at defensive back or kick returner for someone at the next level.
6. Antonio Andrews - QB/WR/CB 6′0 175 - Fort Campbell/HS
I watched Andrews do everything but mow the grass in a dominating performance against Fort Knox. I don’t know where he’ll play at the next level, as he’s currently a quarterback, or if he’ll get a strong look because of his size, but there is zero doubt this kid is a football player. Poor competition might hurt him in 2A, but he had over 370 all-purpose yards in the championship game for crying out loud.
7. Quan Weaver - RB/CB 5′11 175 - Frankfort/HS
Banks or Weaver could go in this spot. I think Weaver’s faster, so I’ll hold him here. He was MVP of his county this past year and ran for over 2,000 yards for the Panthers. He runs a 4.4 forty and I believe around an 11-flat in the 100-meter. Much like EJ Fields, he’s got the track mentality at times on the football field and tries to burn everyone. He’s raw, but another nice looking athlete for someone to play around with.
8. Kevin Connaughton - OL, 6′4, 265 - Covington/Catholic
Kevin was pretty darn good at the Scout combine winning underclassman honors for his efforts. I’m not sure how his height will effect him, but he’s one to watch.
9. Tyrrell Willis - RB/LB 6-3, 235 - Murray/Calloway County
Consider me biased as I watched him plow through the record books the past two years. He’s got a chance with his size to make a play for one of the top spots in the state. I’m surprised he doesn’t get more consideration for Mr. Football. Reminds me of Eric Shelton.
10. Troy Turner - RB/LB 6′0 200 - Fort Campbell/HS
Production wide, he’s right up there with other backs in the state and he’s a perfect compliment in the backfield to Andrews, but he has the same issues as everyone else with where he plays at the next level. He seems to run well with his weight, so the idea of moving him to linebacker might be a possibility.
11. VaShun Banks - RB/CB 5′11 171 - Hopkinsville/Christian Co
He ran for over 1,000 yards and 16 touchdowns as a junior and has some breakaway speed despite still learning how to run with the football. Could probably make the transition to corner at the next level. Very similar to other athletes that have come out of this region in the past. Very speedy guy who makes people miss.
12. Jermiah Neal - RB 5′10 185 Louisville/St. Xavier
Neal got some playing time and impressed after Deuce Finchwent down with an injury early on in the season and Coach Glaser wanted to save his horses for the playoff stretch. Neal picked up the slack. Track kid that will run well this summer.
13. Harris Biven - OL, 6′3, 285 - Owensboro/Apollo
Hard to overlook Biven because he’s such a big kid. I wonder how much he’ll grow, if anything, and how serious some of the attention he’s getting is, though.
14. Brandon Roller - LB 6-2, 225 - Fort Thomas/Highlands
This kid is a just a flat-out football player. Hits like a truck. You simply cannot overlook his production as a football player the past two years. He’s been one of the best linebackers in the state every single season and has different game speed. I don’t know if he’s UK material, but someone will get a good one.
15. Charles Quainoo - RB, 5′11, 175 - Florence/Boone Co.
From Shawn Alexander’s neck of the wood, Quainoo ripped through Kentucky HS last year, but he has to get his speed up if he wants to become an elite prospect. He’s already getting interest from a ton of schools.
————————————————————–
Aaron Watts - RB/WR/CB 6-2, 175 - Stearns/McCreary Central
Jacob Russell - QB, 6′4, 225 - Lawrenceburg/Anderson Co.
Eric Shaw - CB, 5′9, 175 - Lexington/Lafayette HS
Tyler Grubbs - OL/DL 6′6 285 - Fort Thomas/Highlands
Channing Fugate - RB/LB, 6′2, 225 - Jackson/Breathitt Co.
Mason Kelly - OL/DL, 6′3, 285 - Louisville/Bullitt East HS
Dominique Hayden - RB, 5-8, 220 - Lexington/Christian HS
Neil Wilson - WR, 6-2, 225 - Tompkinsville/Monroe County
Bryan Hynes - OL 6′6, 260 - Louisville/Fern Creek HS
Aaron Nance - WR, 6-4, 195 - Louisville/Seneca
Ryan Moses - QB, 6′4, 235 - /Williamsburg

http://new.kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=13550

How many of these players do you see UK getting?
Channing needs to be moved up on list, he has gotten letters from Louisville, Western KY, Dartmouth, Tennessee, UK, and Illinois has offered him a scholarship. Also he got a call from Purdue two days ago i think.
What would they use him at UK if they sign him? Will he red shirt?
cougarpride08 Wrote:What would they use him at UK if they sign him? Will he red shirt?

I have no clue, as to what any schools are interested in him playing as, but he is getting letters from schools left and right.
Glad to hear that. I wish any kid would take the chance of a scholarship no matter where it is. Due to the economic troubles we are in, never turn it down.